Pace of Play

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2015, 05:09 PM
Default Pace of Play

So I apologize for bringing this up, because I am sure it has been discussed to death. But this is the first negative thing I have experienced here in the villages and I would like some clarification so that I have better understanding in the future. Reader's Digest Version of today's round on a championship course: Tee off 8:36, 4 holes in we are warned that we are playing slowly. A lost ball on the 6 hole (that a worker picked up and put in his cart, we retrieved it from the glove box) caused a delay that we quickly recouped on the next hole. On the 8th tee the ranger arrived for the third time to bitch at us about the pace of play. He said we were holding up the whole course and that the group in front of us was a whole hole ahead. I spoke up loudly that as long we finished in the allotted time, what the people in front of us and behind us do is not our problem. He said nothing. At the turn I asked how much time each group was given per 9 holes, I was told 2 hours and 4 minutes. We took 2 hours and 8 minutes according to the starter. Point #1 the ranger probably caused the 4 minute delay by bothering us and adding undue pressure to our play. Point #2 Golf is for enjoyment, I paid for my time on the course and I can tell you that after being growled at by the ranger my enjoyment level went down (as well as my golf performance) for the next few holes. So...what say you veteran golfers of the villages? Was this just a ranger with a bee up his butt...or should I get ready for a stress filled round based on 2 hours and 4 minutes each time I tee it up here in TV
Old 01-19-2015, 05:18 PM
Sage
Default Pace of Play

I think you ran into an unusual situation. I'm sure the "ambassadors" face more challenges this time of year. I've been told several times that my group is running a little slow. However it's always been done with a joke and a smile. Perhaps he responded to your response, perhaps not - maybe he did have a bad day; I've had them also. Bottom line, I play on championship courses an average of twice a week, year round and I've run into a pushy ranger once over 3 years.

My favorite ranger story is about the time we were following a group of lady golfers. After 3 holes it was evident that they were not raking traps. I said something to the ambassador; he monitored them and noticed the same thing. We saw him move in to speak with a woman who just exited a trap without raking it. Several minutes later he drove up to my group. We asked how things went. He said..."not well." The woman had told him that she paid to play golf and it was his job to rake the traps.

If your ambassador ran into one of those lovely types I can understand the bad day he had.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Exception rather than the rule. Had a crusty "ambassador", a couple times the past twelve years.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:25 PM
Veteran member

The Ambassadors have always been nice to us. But again we play the free courses, and maybe they are different?
Old 01-19-2015, 08:50 PM
Gold member

We recently played Truman, where an ambassador drove up to the green where my husband's shot had landed, scooped it up, and drove away....... We were completely dumfounded. Other members in our group reported it to the Starter, but we decided it was such an odd thing to happen, that we, in the words of the often repeated song "let it go"......... Life is too short to worry about such things.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrandell View Post
We recently played Truman, where an ambassador drove up to the green where my husband's shot had landed, scooped it up, and drove away....... We were completely dumfounded. Other members in our group reported it to the Starter, but we decided it was such an odd thing to happen, that we, in the words of the often repeated song "let it go"......... Life is too short to worry about such things.
He was probably jealous of the shot.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafoto View Post
So I apologize for bringing this up, because I am sure it has been discussed to death. But this is the first negative thing I have experienced here in the villages and I would like some clarification so that I have better understanding in the future. Reader's Digest Version of today's round on a championship course: Tee off 8:36, 4 holes in we are warned that we are playing slowly. A lost ball on the 6 hole (that a worker picked up and put in his cart, we retrieved it from the glove box) caused a delay that we quickly recouped on the next hole. On the 8th tee the ranger arrived for the third time to bitch at us about the pace of play. He said we were holding up the whole course and that the group in front of us was a whole hole ahead. I spoke up loudly that as long we finished in the allotted time, what the people in front of us and behind us do is not our problem. He said nothing. At the turn I asked how much time each group was given per 9 holes, I was told 2 hours and 4 minutes. We took 2 hours and 8 minutes according to the starter. Point #1 the ranger probably caused the 4 minute delay by bothering us and adding undue pressure to our play. Point #2 Golf is for enjoyment, I paid for my time on the course and I can tell you that after being growled at by the ranger my enjoyment level went down (as well as my golf performance) for the next few holes. So...what say you veteran golfers of the villages? Was this just a ranger with a bee up his butt...or should I get ready for a stress filled round based on 2 hours and 4 minutes each time I tee it up here in TV
Been here 14 years, have never had that happen. There must be another part of the story!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:45 PM
Gold member
Default He's referring to "championship" courses and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nelson View Post
The Ambassadors have always been nice to us. But again we play the free courses, and maybe they are different?
the ambassadors job for executive courses that you play is entirely different....apples/oranges.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:47 PM
Gold member
Default Executive ambassadors not = to championship ambassadors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrandell View Post
the two are not comparable. As for your story...not likely...ambassadors carts go about 15/16mph...yours is likely rated at least 19/20mph...you could easily have caught the ambassador and asked what they were doing....
Old 01-19-2015, 10:11 PM

Sounds like most think this is a rare event, I will treat it as such.
Thank you!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:05 AM
Gold member
Default It should be...

Quote:
Sounds like most think this is a rare event, I will treat it as such.
Thank you!
if it is not then just call GMS which manages the courses.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:17 AM
Platinum member

I'm not sure the Ambassadors have any real authority anyway, other than to organize the starts. There are no laws or regulations on the course. It's all just about courtesy. Who knows? Maybe a dog pooped in the Ambassador's yard that morning, but let's not get that started!

Bottom line is that they just try to keep everything moving and keep everybody happy. Sounds like you ran into the wrong Ambassador at the wrong time.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:23 AM

Not to press on this but if you should be able to complete 9 holes in the allotted time. The Ambassadors are in place to think about everyone on the course. Pace of play is one of the key reasons golf's popularity has dropped. Do things like play ready golf, and Mark your scores at the next tee. Remember, you are not the only ones to pay your fees to be out there.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

[QUOTE=MrGolf;998181]Not to press on this but if you should be able to complete 9 holes in the allotted time. The Ambassadors are in place to think about everyone on the course. Pace of play is one of the key reasons golf's popularity has dropped. Do things like play ready golf, and Mark your scores at the next tee. Remember, you are not the only ones to pay your fees to be out there.[/QUOT
But it sounds like they would have completed play in the allotted time but for the ambassador stopping them twice and the maintenance person who ran off with their ball.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
//////
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.