Par Car steering

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2014, 07:59 PM
Gold member
Question Par Car steering

In June I purchased a new ParCar with the smaller tires. However, when I purchased the cart I test drove a couple of larger tire models. I noticed that the steering was rather stiff in both these carts. The other day I picked up my cart and so far I like everything about the cart except the stiff steering. I had a speedometer installed today and the installer stated that in order to turn the wheel he had to use the steering wheel when normally he can just turn the assembly at the tire, not the steering wheel.

I am just wondering whether other ParCar owners feel that the steering is stiffer than in other carts. I have had 3 carts before this one (2 Yamahas and 1 Club car) so I have some experience turning the wheel. This one is stiffer. I am hoping that this will get better as I break the cart in.

Any comments would be appreciated.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 08-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,348 Times in 2,389 Posts

I had a golf partner that had a Par Car and it was stiff to steer as you mention. My E-Z-Go felt like I had power steering in comparison.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

My electric golf cart is a Par Car. Its like driving a '54 Chevy. But I like it for golf. Its quiet, non stinky, and has good range.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:09 AM
Gold member

It looks like my steering is normal. The good thing about it is I should get stronger with the exercise I'll get by turning the wheel.

John

Old 08-14-2014, 06:44 AM
Veteran member

The brakes on my Par Car require me to almost stand on the brake pedal to stop sometimes. I replaced the brake shoes but it didn't help.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

John....I can't comment on the small tires, but I have a Par Car with the larger 13" tires and it steers very hard, especially compared to a Yamaha. My brakes are also very hard to engage, which I am used to, but if someone else is driving my cart, they can get quite a surprise...ha ha

Overall, I love the cart though. I have never been stranded with it, but I seem to have battery anxiety anyway...
Old 08-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Platinum member

We have a ParCar also and I find the steering very stiff. We love it though.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:29 PM

Been driving the same Par Car for over 4 years. The steering is stiff and you have to really stand on the brakes. I feel the cart has been a good investment so far but I will look at Club Car, EZGO, and Yamaha when I get ready to get another one.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Gold member

I'm just wondering but can't there be a fix for stiff steering and the brake problem? Apparently not so far.

John

Old 08-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Veteran member

Hello John,

You didn't indicate which model ParCar you just (wisely in our opinion ) purchased. Based on your description it sounds like the Eagle Legacy P4 model which is available in several wheel/tire size combinations. I am assuming you bought it directly from ParCar, however you mentioned "picking up" your new cart. Our experience has been that ParCar delivers to your home, on a flat bed truck, all new carts from their assembly plant in Leesburg.

We have owned three ParCars, currently have the P4 and P5 models and believe they provide the greatest overall value in golf cart ownership today.

Yes we also have experienced "stiff" steering (only when not moving or at very low speeds) but have been able to have it significantly improved. All with 13" wheels and the wide tires.

Have you discussed this with ParCar and asked them to make an effort to reduce the "steering effort"?

Depending on the wheel/tire setup, tire air pressure will impact the effort needed to turn steering wheel, especially when not moving or at a VERY low speed. We keep our front tire pressure a couple of pounds higher than recommended. It takes most of the low speed effort away. You may want to verify your tire pressure. Look in your manual or the paperwork ParCar furnishes with new carts. Be sure it is at recommendations or a little higher.

Front end alignment and suspension can also impact steering effort but that should not an issue in a factory new cart.

Both our new carts seem to have "smoothed out" after 20-30 hours of operation.

DISCLAIMER:
We are quite happy with our choice in carts and are not trying to turn your question into a personal commercial for ParCar. We have no connection with ParCar, except being a very pleased customer and offer the tire pressure suggestion purely as satisfied owners. ParCar may disagree with our tire pressure recommendation.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further.

Regards,
Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....

Last edited by SouthOfTheBorder; 08-15-2014 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-15-2014, 07:39 PM
Gold member

Don - I purchased the cart new from Parcar, attended the orientation in Leesburg and had the cart delivered to my home. It is an Eagle and I have the smaller tires. The tire pressure recommended was 32 PSI and I checked the tires and it was at that figure. I have contacted the service people and told them if the steering doesn't improve in a months time that I will get back to them. However, from the comments in this thread I don't think that will make any difference. Obviously that is the norm. I certainly can live with the steering as is.

Thanx for your comments.

John

Old 08-29-2014, 10:27 PM
Default Does Par Car go Faster with Larger tires

Do you find that your Par car is peppy more with the bigger back tires? My own cart is sluggish, and I'm thinking of getting the bigger wheels because I've heard that this will help with that problem. I'm not looking to break the speed barrier, just to keep up with the normal cart speed. (Most carts pass me by, sigh!)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.