Pin placement Flags

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2018, 10:48 AM
Default Pin placement Flags

The Villages should use this system. Played a course with Red flag in back, White in middle and Blue in front. Takes all the guess work out of trying to look for the little flag position on pin.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

That is what the little flag on the flag stick denotes.
High middle or low denote hole placement. Easier than keeping sets of flags for hole movement.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:51 AM
Veteran member
Default Flags

Don't recall seeing any small flags on the championship courses, but the pro shop will gladly sell you a range finder.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Don't recall seeing any small flags on the championship courses, but the pro shop will gladly sell you a range finder.
Do you recall seeing 1-2-3 on the greens on the scorecard? They tell you where the pin placement is for the day.

http://www.golfthevillages.com/champ...E%20GARDEN.pdf
Old 04-22-2018, 03:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Championship Courses tell you pin placement number when checking in. Scorecard show approx. placement.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy View Post
The Villages should use this system. Played a course with Red flag in back, White in middle and Blue in front. Takes all the guess work out of trying to look for the little flag position on pin.
Interesting, given that the typical colored flags I've seen are red/front, white/middle and blue/back.

Orrrr, you can buy accurate range finders for less than $100 these days...which takes ALL of the guesswork out.

IMHO, range finders are better than the standard GPS (wrist/other) because besides giving exact distance to the flag, you can shoot to things like bunkers to determine the carry you need, or maybe even more importantly, the distance you should lay up short...to keep your ball from going in the bunker.

It seems that at least a few times every round, someone in my group hits it too far and into a greenside bunker...when they were simply trying to lay up short of it.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy View Post
I think that the little indicator flag work just fine in 99% of the cases. The problem I see is that some of the employees are not properly trained on where to put them or simply do not care about doing their job correctly. The same goes for cups that are sunk to the proper depth and dirt in the bottom of the cup so that flagstick can't be fully inserted.

But with the generally horrendous condition of most of these courses, these are small things.

I played Amberwood last week and hit 8 out of nine greens and could not make a putt. They might as well have asphalt instead of greens.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:19 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default The laser range finders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Interesting, given that the typical colored flags I've seen are red/front, white/middle and blue/back.

Orrrr, you can buy accurate range finders for less than $100 these days...which takes ALL of the guesswork out.

IMHO, range finders are better than the standard GPS (wrist/other) because besides giving exact distance to the flag, you can shoot to things like bunkers to determine the carry you need, or maybe even more importantly, the distance you should lay up short...to keep your ball from going in the bunker.

It seems that at least a few times every round, someone in my group hits it too far and into a greenside bunker...when they were simply trying to lay up short of it.
under $100 are not reliable. You get what you pay for in this case. As to who needs any device that gives the distance to the pin, hazards or other locations? Only someone who truly knows the distance they hit each club and can do so most of the time.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
under $100 are not reliable. You get what you pay for in this case.
Actually, they are very reliable, especially compared to using fairway yardage markers and/or colored flags...or sharpie marked numbers on the scorecard.

But even if you get one that's off by a couple of yards, it's not like anyone short of a professional...would ever even notice.

Quote:
As to who needs any device that gives the distance to the pin, hazards or other locations? Only someone who truly knows the distance they hit each club and can do so most of the time.
If a golfer doesn't have a general idea of how far they 'average' with each club...then they're wasting their time anyway.

I mean cripes, why do you think a player chooses a particular club, for a particular shot...in the first place?
Old 04-23-2018, 08:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
That is what the little flag on the flag stick denotes.
High middle or low denote hole placement. Easier than keeping sets of flags for hole movement.
The little flags work for me also. Of course, I am usually shooting for the middle in any case. Golfers I know who are accurate enough to want to know pin position have range finders.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
under $100 are not reliable. You get what you pay for in this case. As to who needs any device that gives the distance to the pin, hazards or other locations? Only someone who truly knows the distance they hit each club and can do so most of the time.
I have a Nikon LR 1200 Waterproof that I bought about 8 years ago new for $279 on eBay and it listed for $499. My neighbor that I play with just purchased this range finder off Amazon for $149, and it's reading just as accurately as mine, the only negative is the housing is plastic.

The Villages Florida

Amazon.com : TecTecTec VPRO500 Golf Rangefinder - Laser Range Finder with Pinsensor - Laser Binoculars - Free Battery : Sports & Outdoors

As far as knowing your distance, I don't see how you can break 80, or even 90 for that matter if you don't know your distances. My PW is 103, my 9 is 115, my 8 is 128 my 7 is 135, my 6 is 145, my 5 is 159 and my 4 is 169. If I hit it correctly it will travel the distance I have listed with a normal swing. Last round I played was Evans Prairie (Osprey) just nine holes and shot 37 from the white tees and Friday was very windy. I had played when I was young in the 1960's and then laid off for 40 years and resumed in 2009.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
The little flags work for me also. Of course, I am usually shooting for the middle in any case. Golfers I know who are accurate enough to want to know pin position have range finders.
or a caddie
Old 04-23-2018, 09:41 AM
Sage

That TecTecTec is the one I use. Really good rangefinder at a really good price.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
That TecTecTec is the one I use. Really good rangefinder at a really good price.
That one actually has some pretty darned good reviews...and looks like a heck of a value.

If only I cared...about how far to hit my ball.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
or a caddie
I had to fire my longtime caddie.

He wanted a raise from 10% to 12% of my winnings.

I just couldn't afford...the extra $.75 a week.
Closed Thread

Tags
pin, flag, work, guess, takes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.