Played Sarasota with three nice folks today...

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2021, 02:36 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default Played Sarasota with three nice folks today...

pleasant and friendly....problem...you had a mother(who's been playing a couple of months)giving her daughter(no experience)giving her lessons on about every hole and every shot...they and a gentleman with an okay swing playing from the black tees.

I've no problem waiting for folks who have age, coordination or lack of knowledge playing and am happy to watch them attempt the impossible(golf), but three healthy people who are intentionally making the game even more difficult is beyond my 55+ years of understanding.

Now I'm still patient and understanding and congratulate fine shots, but hitting multiple tee shots just because you didn't like the previous shots...and people behind you are waiting would tempt the patience of Job.

It pains me to see folks who have no real knowledge of the golf swing try to instruct a beginner. It makes me gag to watch the man trying to give the young lady(whose ball is beyond the green) on the finer points of chipping while a group is on the tee waiting to tee off. I give a short whistle and mention they should continue to play. The mother says there's no hurry. I say that's not true and it's improper to make people wait on the tee even if the next tee still has golfers. She tells me she is in no hurry and that she's trying to have a relaxed time. I explain that golf etiquette doesn't take her desires into play when others are waiting.

Now to playing music on the golf course from your cart...NO, NO, NO! If you need to hear music on the course might I suggest a bone conduction bluetooth headset. The man had music coming out of his phone for 9 holes. By the second tee I asked him to please lower the volume....he said no problem. Turned it down for about 15 seconds and then turned it right back up. To those who think it's all about their desires....if you're playing golf(exec or championship)playing music on the course is a NO NO! It's GOLF...not your house or car. You've decided to play a sport that requires certain rules of etiquette so that ALL people can enjoy the game. If you're too self centered to understand this then take up sleeping.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

I wish I truly cared...honest.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:35 PM
Veteran member
Default Sarasota

Was an Ambassador on duty or just avoiding the confrontation? Unfortunately the situation you described is typical at Sarasota. Not right but it is
to be expected.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:01 PM
Veteran member

You played with three people working on their game on the course designated as the beginner/learning course. You may want to try other courses that are not in the midst of the training facility.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
You played with three people working on their game on the course designated as the beginner/learning course. You may want to try other courses that are not in the midst of the training facility.
1. Sorry, but the comment above is simply not correct. We have played Sarasota at least 12 times over the last 6 months. Sometimes it may have been one of the only courses in the area with T times. And we enjoy the short(er) practice. We have NEVER seen "beginner/learning" there. There may be, on occasion, but to label it as that is simply wrong.

2. OP - get ready for flameback from some posters here. People can be judgemental, and you may see that soon. Sure appears that you have a LOT more patience than I would have had. And typically we see ONE ambassador come thru on Exec courses thru a round. I think I/we would have told the others "Hey, we're just gonna break up here and go ahead as a single/twosome, and you guys can go right behind us after we clear the green".
Old 05-10-2021, 04:38 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Golf course

I hav at people over the 10 ears I have been here. Some good golfers, some not so good. But only experienced 1 time with similar experience you had. Some people just don't get it.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:08 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Now to playing music on the golf course from your cart...NO, NO, NO!
What is the USGA ruling on this??? Two strokes??
Old 05-10-2021, 06:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
1. Sorry, but the comment above is simply not correct. We have played Sarasota at least 12 times over the last 6 months. Sometimes it may have been one of the only courses in the area with T times. And we enjoy the short(er) practice. We have NEVER seen "beginner/learning" there. There may be, on occasion, but to label it as that is simply wrong.

I’ve only seen similar beginning play a handful of times over the last 4 years here, but it was always on one of the courses with the 8 inch holes (Sarasota or El Santiago) or the pitch and putt in Marsh Bend.

At El Santiago the Checkin staff once told us to go around a foursome, as they had tee’d off a half an hour before and were still on the second hole.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

As a PGA professional since 1982 and someone that has trained as a golf instructor and has taught tens of thousands how to play golf, it is my considered opinion that the golf course, except in an extremely small percentage of cases, is the worst possible environment to teach people how to play golf.

Golf needs to be learned at practice areas where one can practice a repetitive action.

I have also had to "unteach" many women whose husbands have attempted to teach them how to play golf. I've worked with players that were better than me because they learned how to play but never studied how to teach. I was with a tour player one day when someone came up and asked him some questions about the golf swing. I was flattered when he pointed at me and said, "There's the man with the knowledge. Ask him."
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:35 AM
Veteran member

Our world has increasingly less etiquette. These people needed to be admonished but nobody will do it which is really the real problem.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:42 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default Yes it's a ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
beginners/learning course. That doesn't mean it's where you give lessons. Why do people who know nothing about the courses here give an opinion that lacks all common sense?
Old 05-10-2021, 04:09 PM

The Villages golf school is awesome! Someone needs to gift these people golf school lessons.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
pleasant and friendly....problem...you had a mother(who's been playing a couple of months)giving her daughter(no experience)giving her lessons on about every hole and every shot...they and a gentleman with an okay swing playing from the black tees.

I've no problem waiting for folks who have age, coordination or lack of knowledge playing and am happy to watch them attempt the impossible(golf), but three healthy people who are intentionally making the game even more difficult is beyond my 55+ years of understanding.

Now I'm still patient and understanding and congratulate fine shots, but hitting multiple tee shots just because you didn't like the previous shots...and people behind you are waiting would tempt the patience of Job.

It pains me to see folks who have no real knowledge of the golf swing try to instruct a beginner. It makes me gag to watch the man trying to give the young lady(whose ball is beyond the green) on the finer points of chipping while a group is on the tee waiting to tee off. I give a short whistle and mention they should continue to play. The mother says there's no hurry. I say that's not true and it's improper to make people wait on the tee even if the next tee still has golfers. She tells me she is in no hurry and that she's trying to have a relaxed time. I explain that golf etiquette doesn't take her desires into play when others are waiting.

Now to playing music on the golf course from your cart...NO, NO, NO! If you need to hear music on the course might I suggest a bone conduction bluetooth headset. The man had music coming out of his phone for 9 holes. By the second tee I asked him to please lower the volume....he said no problem. Turned it down for about 15 seconds and then turned it right back up. To those who think it's all about their desires....if you're playing golf(exec or championship)playing music on the course is a NO NO! It's GOLF...not your house or car. You've decided to play a sport that requires certain rules of etiquette so that ALL people can enjoy the game. If you're too self centered to understand this then take up sleeping.
I stopped playing with a golf partner when I realized every bad shot he made someone else was to blame.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I stopped playing with a golf partner when I realized every bad shot he made someone else was to blame.
My new favorite excuse is that I hit a bad shot because a goose was staring at me!
Old 05-10-2021, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,176 Times in 4,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michread View Post
The Villages golf school is awesome! Someone needs to gift these people golf school lessons.
Be careful about that...

They turned my wife into a "Rules Nazi"!

After she took the academy classes, we went out with another couple. First hole, I hit an iron to the green, lagged my putt inside of 6" and scooped up the ball... Easy par, right?

WRONG! She called a 2 stroke penalty on me! I asked my friend to explain what a "gimme" was before there was in impromptu divorce on the 2nd tee!

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
tee, playing, waiting, golf, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.