Practice Range Mats Schedule

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2017, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I've been to that range several times. The last time I was helping my wife and I was spoken to about giving lessons.

Also the condition of the teeing area is deplorable. I felt as though I was hitting out of a hole most of the time. It's difficult to find grass to hit from. They're more like dirt tees than grass tees.
OK, I usually go the other one that I mentioned and they usually have grass. Go past Walmart get in the left land and turn left on US 301, maybe a 1/2 mile after Walmart. Go south, The Villages Oxford Oaks Homes subdivision will be on your right. Look on the left side of the road, they usually have a flag out front. The building is Accutech Car Repair on the front and the golf shop on the back. The parking lot is crushed shell, that's the only thing I don't like about the place.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:57 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
OK, I usually go the other one that I mentioned and they usually have grass. Go past Walmart get in the left land and turn left on US 301, maybe a 1/2 mile after Walmart. Go south, The Villages Oxford Oaks Homes subdivision will be on your right. Look on the left side of the road, they usually have a flag out front. The building is Accutech Car Repair on the front and the golf shop on the back. The parking lot is crushed shell, that's the only thing I don't like about the place.
The place on 301 is the Oxford Golf Center.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I'm familiar with that one as well. My only problem is that it's not golf cart accessible.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:37 AM

Sarasota, Sunday, Monday, Wed.
Palmer, Tues, Thrus, Sat.
Lopez, Wed, Thrus.
Glenview,Sun, Mon, Fri.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtime View Post
Sarasota, Sunday, Monday, Wed.
Palmer, Tues, Thrus, Sat.
Lopez, Wed, Thrus.
Glenview,Sun, Mon, Fri.
Was at Palmer this morning.... mats. Go figure.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post

They usually do that this time of year to transition the range turf from the overseed to the bermuda. Sarasota is also mats only for a while.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post

I called Palmer a few days ago and I was told that they'd be on mats through April 23 in order to allow their grass to grow.

If these ranges are managed properly, there is no reason to ever go to mats except after a rain storm. The tees are plenty big enough to rotate the teeing areas so that new grass would have a month to grow. The problem is that they don't reseed when they move the tees. They only top dress.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
I called Palmer a few days ago and I was told that they'd be on mats through April 23 in order to allow their grass to grow.

If these ranges are managed properly, there is no reason to ever go to mats except after a rain storm. The tees are plenty big enough to rotate the teeing areas so that new grass would have a month to grow. The problem is that they don't reseed when they move the tees. They only top dress.
You can't seed hybrid bermuda. The seeds are sterile. You have to either re-sod it or top dress and let it fill in. I think they do incorporate seed in the top dressing during the winter when the bermuda is dormant. But in the transition, you don't want the rye shading the bermuda, so you bite the bullet and wait for the bermuda to cover. Hopefully, with the warmer spring we're having, it should happen sooner than later.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:23 AM
Sage

Quote:

Thanks for the explanation.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
They usually do that this time of year to transition the range turf from the overseed to the bermuda. Sarasota is also mats only for a while.
Went past Sarasota yesterday, all mats and very busy.

Closed Thread

Tags
mats, ranges, schedule, hitting, range

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.