Price of Golf in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2017, 11:02 PM
Default Price of Golf in The Villages

The price of golf on The Villages championship courses during the "snowbird" season is absolutely obscene! While I understand that rates go up at most golf courses during the winter, why must it be so expensive for the residents of this community? We pay taxes, shop and eat at the local stores and restaurants, yet we receive no break on the greens fees until the summer when it's too darn hot to play. There are plenty of courses outside this venue that are reasonable, so I guess that's where I'll continue to find a game, because as a resident here I just can't see paying snowbird rates.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

Basic economics of supply and demand. The T-Times get filled up at those rates during the winter months.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

My husband has a priority membership and that does lower the greens fee.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Basic economics of supply and demand. The T-Times get filled up at those rates during the winter months.
Not really, and it's even worse January 1st when the rates go even higher. The only teetimes that are filled up in the winter are the executives, that's where most are playing this time of year. Go by Arnold Palmer any afternoon from Jan thru April and there is hardly anybody out there. Most courses are dead in the afternoon, if they brought back the 11:00am summer discount they could make a lot more money. However, every winter this is brought up and discussed at length, just do a search.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:28 AM
Veteran member
Default Green fees

What's more, the courses outside of The Villages also hike their prices during the high season, and many of them are inferior. Golf outside The Villages in the winter was cheap when I fist came here, but not anymore.

OP said it is supply and demand. But, as far as I can tell, demand doesn't go down with the higher prices. As a Priority member, I feel the discount we get on winter prices is nice but illogical. Someone, please explain why Evans Prairie is cheaper than Bonifay and Belle Glade.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:37 AM
Platinum member

It's cheaper that the current winter rates in New Jersey. Did I mention that it is 15 degrees in New Jersey.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:14 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Golf here is so cheap when compared to where I lived in Virginia that I consider it a bargain even with winter rates. And here I can play year round. While they are doing the ice bowl back there. So I am glad you all think it's expensive. Just means more available tee times.

And you have a couple options to change it. Stop playing and if enough do that they will be forced to drop the price, or go off campus more and that could also impact price. Florida and in particular the Villages has some of the cheapest golf in the country. Very few places you could play golf at these rates. I am sure there are a few, but on average this is very affordable golf here.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Golf here is so cheap when compared to where I lived in Virginia that I consider it a bargain even with winter rates. And here I can play year round. While they are doing the ice bowl back there. So I am glad you all think it's expensive. Just means more available tee times.

And you have a couple options to change it. Stop playing and if enough do that they will be forced to drop the price, or go off campus more and that could also impact price. Florida and in particular the Villages has some of the cheapest golf in the country. Very few places you could play golf at these rates. I am sure there are a few, but on average this is very affordable golf here.
Exactly what my husband says all of the time. Golf is a bargain in TV. No Country Club dues food minimums or constant tipping.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
Exactly what my husband says all of the time. Golf is a bargain in TV. No Country Club dues food minimums or constant tipping.
Excellent comment!
Old 12-29-2017, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie1 View Post
The price of golf on The Villages championship courses during the "snowbird" season is absolutely obscene! While I understand that rates go up at most golf courses during the winter, why must it be so expensive for the residents of this community? We pay taxes, shop and eat at the local stores and restaurants, yet we receive no break on the greens fees until the summer when it's too darn hot to play. There are plenty of courses outside this venue that are reasonable, so I guess that's where I'll continue to find a game, because as a resident here I just can't see paying snowbird rates.
Based on the posts, one persons "obscene" is another persons bargain. We all have our tolerances and for the OP the outside courses will offer relief....even though combining taxes, shopping and eating at local stores was an interesting approach to make the case.....they aren't related.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-29-2017, 05:11 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Once when we visited my parents in Hilton Head (SC), my husband and my father played golf. They paid $85 each. It was definitely not in the winter.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:14 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Based on the posts, one persons "obscene" is another persons bargain. We all have our tolerances and for the OP the outside courses will offer relief....even though combining taxes, shopping and eating at local stores was an interesting approach to make the case.....they aren't related.
This illustrates an excellent example why it is so important for those thinking of moving to TV to rent for a whole year.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

TV golf is half the cost than Our CC up north and I don’t have to spend mandatory hundreds of dollars in the restaurant every month
Old 12-29-2017, 07:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
One of the primary reasons we bought at the Villages is that you can go everywhere and do everything in a golf cart. Loading up the clubs in our garage and driving our cart to play golf is a dream come true. I would gladly pay a little extra to golf in the Villages versus going off campus in a car, which we often don't have here anyways when we fly down to our home. And there are six beautiful championship courses within 20 minutes of our house, two more within 30 minuets, and another four within 40 minutes, all via our golf cart. How good is that!
Old 12-29-2017, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
So have you called GMS yet to find out the answer to your whining and complaining? Didn't think so.

Until you do that, continue to throw the clubs in your vehicle, use your time, gas and wear on your vehicle to drive to a course outside the bubble; by doing that, it will open up another tee time for those of us who will support our courses.

Tags
golf, courses, rates, villages, snowbird

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.