Price of Golf in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2017, 09:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
One of the primary reasons we bought at the Villages is that you can go everywhere and do everything in a golf cart. Loading up the clubs in our garage and driving our cart to play golf is a dream come true. I would gladly pay a little extra to golf in the Villages versus going off campus in a car, which we often don't have here anyways when we fly down to our home. And there are six beautiful championship courses within 20 minutes of our house, two more within 30 minuets, and another four within 40 minutes, all via our golf cart. How good is that!
Bravo! Great response!
Old 12-30-2017, 08:11 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

I play often off site and I find prices 1/2 to 2/3 of the villages including a golf cart. And conditions at most off site courses are equal to or better than the villages.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:36 AM

Then go to courses outside the Villages. Free up tee times for people who enjoy the courses and convenience.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:42 AM
Gold member

Championship golf is not cheap in The Villages, but many posters believe the convenience factors far outweigh the cost, and I agree. I play twice a week and between priority fees and green fees, it costs me over $4K per year to play. Well worth the cost to me.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie1 View Post
The price of golf on The Villages championship courses during the "snowbird" season is absolutely obscene! While I understand that rates go up at most golf courses during the winter, why must it be so expensive for the residents of this community? We pay taxes, shop and eat at the local stores and restaurants, yet we receive no break on the greens fees until the summer when it's too darn hot to play. There are plenty of courses outside this venue that are reasonable, so I guess that's where I'll continue to find a game, because as a resident here I just can't see paying snowbird rates.
Kind of reminds me of my mother in law who thought she was saving money to make a 50 mile round trip to save $.50 on a food store coupon.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
It's cheaper that the current winter rates in New Jersey. Did I mention that it is 15 degrees in New Jersey.
Did I mention that is 85 (high) and 73(low) in Costa Rica
Old 12-30-2017, 12:16 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Kind of reminds me of my mother in law who thought she was saving money to make a 50 mile round trip to save $.50 on a food store coupon.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Three winters ago my neighbor and I decided to play the executives instead of paying $50 for a round of golf. However, in an 1-1/2 hours you were done and I felt like I was just getting started. So we played only the courses with two par 4's and I bought a clicgear cart and walked. By the end of the winter I was still not satisfied.

Then summer came and back to the championships. Then two winters ago we decided let's play championships but only 9 holes, that's about $25 which is what we pay in the summer. This lasted a little longer, about 2+ hours and we can use our driver on about 7 of the holes. So for the past two winters this has been our plan, and it works. We're pretty content with nine holes and with the heat of summer, we've been down to nine holes year-round.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Three winters ago my neighbor and I decided to play the executives instead of paying $50 for a round of golf. However, in an 1-1/2 hours you were done and I felt like I was just getting started. So we played only the courses with two par 4's and I bought a clicgear cart and walked. By the end of the winter I was still not satisfied.

Then summer came and back to the championships. Then two winters ago we decided let's play championships but only 9 holes, that's about $25 which is what we pay in the summer. This lasted a little longer, about 2+ hours and we can use our driver on about 7 of the holes. So for the past two winters this has been our plan, and it works. We're pretty content with nine holes and with the heat of summer, we've been down to nine holes year-round.
Life is short play what you want and can afford.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:51 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default True words

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
Life is short play what you want and can afford.
Life is short at best. Do what you can afford and enjoy. “Life’s tragedy is we get old too soon and wise too late”. Benjamin Franklin
Old 12-30-2017, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Yes, the cost of the supposed 'championship' courses here are generally over-priced...for what you get.

However, the convenience of not messing with loading the bag in a car, going to the bag drop, renting a cart without a sumbrella/doors and repeating the process in reverse, all the while having those helping you expecting a small tip...is still worth living and playing the courses here.

The convenience of leaving my driveway ready to play is worth a lot to me and the powers-to-be knows that sentiment applies to a lot of others...so they are simply guided by 'whatever the market will bear.'
Old 12-30-2017, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Yes, the cost of the supposed 'championship' courses here are generally over-priced...for what you get.

However, the convenience of not messing with loading the bag in a car, going to the bag drop, renting a cart without a sumbrella/doors and repeating the process in reverse, all the while having those helping you expecting a small tip...is still worth living and playing the courses here.

The convenience of leaving my driveway ready to play is worth a lot to me and the powers-to-be knows that sentiment applies to a lot of others...so they are simply guided by 'whatever the market will bear.'
You could say it that way. And you did.

Seems to work.

VERY WELL.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:19 PM
Sage
Default Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

My husband plays the Championship courses 3=4 days a week. He thinks the conditions are fine Compared to the Club up North this is a bargain. I am so happy not to eat food just because we had a monthly minimum.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
My husband plays the Championship courses 3=4 days a week. He thinks the conditions are fine Compared to the Club up North this is a bargain. I am so happy not to eat food just because we had a monthly minimum.
You make some good points.

I lived in an upscale golf course community in a previous life and was a member for a couple of years after moving there.

I soon realized though, that I became bored playing the same course all of the time (which you almost had to do, to justify the monthly dues/minimums...much less the initiation fee) and decided to drop my membership.

I still had plenty of friends & neighbors that I could play with if I wanted, but it also allowed my wife and I to make a lot of weekend trips and play different courses in the area.

IMHO, at least the number of choices here in TV mostly makes up for the so-so conditions and routings of the real courses.

Since I don't play the executives I can't really speak of them, but since they're basically free...hard to gripe about that.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:10 PM
Sage

Agree. My husband never plays executives. He is happy with the multiple courses to choose and I am happy with zero food minimum.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, courses, rates, villages, snowbird

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.