Priority golf memberships

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2018, 12:39 PM
Default Priority golf memberships

Looking at your golf history, has anyone ever run their numbers to see if buying priority was worth it? Remember to deduct the price of trail fees as it is included in your priority fee. I discovered it COST us $316. extra! With rainouts, vacation, sick days and other things that kept me from golfing Championship courses...…..I guess we just didn't play enough! It is time to re-up Priority, but I am thinking of dropping it.
Just wondering how many of you actually see if it saves or costs you money.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

$316 for the year?

Partial year?

All courses?

Some courses only?
Old 12-29-2018, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Sometimes, it's other than just the money.

For those that play in a regular group, oftentimes they will not accept anyone without a priority membership, due to the prioritization...of assigning tee times.

On that reason alone...I have chosen to stay priority.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckySevens View Post
Looking at your golf history, has anyone ever run their numbers to see if buying priority was worth it? Remember to deduct the price of trail fees as it is included in your priority fee. I discovered it COST us $316. extra! With rainouts, vacation, sick days and other things that kept me from golfing Championship courses...…..I guess we just didn't play enough! It is time to re-up Priority, but I am thinking of dropping it.
Just wondering how many of you actually see if it saves or costs you money.
It's got nothing to do with money! Your analysis defies realistic expectations.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:26 PM

I ran some numbers a couple years ago. Since we are year around residents, I calculated how many rounds of golf I would need to play to break even monetarily. I did the calculation assuming I would play nearly the same number of rounds of championship golf every month of the year. I compared paying full resident fee versus priority fee plus the cost of the Priority membership. My numbers showed I needed 60 rounds of championship golf, spread evenly over the 12 months, to break even. My numbers may be off a little but they are close.

My group plays every Monday and Friday and requires priority membership to ensure getting tee times for the group. While I do not play championship golf every Monday and Friday, I do play in excess of 80 to 85 rounds of championship golf each year, which is way more than I need to make Priority worth it from a savings standpoint.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:22 AM

I ran some numbers last year i paid 840 I took all 12 championship courses played 1 once a week but only used 48 games a year.SO I played 4 times each year at each country club. I was losing money. But if I played 72 times a year I was saving about 500.00 over all. So my concensus is if you play all country clubs and play 1.5 or more times a week, you actually save money by buying the priority, but if you play less than that then it is not worth it in my opinion.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:47 AM
Location: Brooklyn, Staten Island, Mount Hope, NY, Villa De Laguna

From Jan 1 to Apr 30 you save $17 on an 18 hole round. Trail fees are about 145. Priority for a single is $740. Play once a week, approx 17 rounds during peak season and that is a $289 savings. Add that with trail fees that is $434. So for the other 8 months you need to save $306 to break even.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:54 AM
Veteran member

If you check the figures, I don't think the yearly fee for priority membership has increased for years, but the cost per round of championship golf has certainly gone up. If you are full year residents, and play three time a week, I think it's a bargain. Just saying.....

"I have never been wrong in my life. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken."
Old 03-03-2019, 12:21 PM

When i went to sign up for priority about 10-11 years ago, the man said to my wife and i, if you and you wife do not play { 3} times a week or just me, you are wasting your money signing up for priority!!!
Old 03-03-2019, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandy View Post
When i went to sign up for priority about 10-11 years ago, the man said to my wife and i, if you and you wife do not play { 3} times a week or just me, you are wasting your money signing up for priority!!!
He was fired later that day.....
Old 03-03-2019, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Sometimes, it's other than just the money.

For those that play in a regular group, oftentimes they will not accept anyone without a priority membership, due to the prioritization...of assigning tee times.

On that reason alone...I have chosen to stay priority.
Same here, our group is all priority and we have about 5 foursomes....easier to get what we want, when we want. We had a couple drop their priority so they don't play with the group anymore and now get what's available. If someone has to drop out of our groups we will let the non-priority know and they can go and grab the open spot if available.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-03-2019, 05:27 PM
Platinum member

I pay for both my wife and I. She doesn't play except for about four times a year. I play two times a week. We are away from The Villages about eight weeks a year. I save between 200 and 300 each year. Plus when the grand-kids are here the love Orange Blossom pool. It's a bargain and has not increased for years.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Mrs. KC and I have averaged 100-125 rounds each the three full years we've been here; will be less this year due to my just now coming back from shoulder surgery in November; the priority membership pays off for us.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:35 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

It is like a country club back home. You don't divide your country club membership by rounds of golf. You joined the club for lifestyle.

It is same here, priority of tee times is key of whether to get priority membership.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Veteran member

My wife and I play golf on a regular basis and for the past years have saved in excess of over $1K each and every year. What the OP did not also take into account is the trail fee for exec courses is included in a priority membership. Biggest thing for us we are able to play golf with other priority members and better tee times.
Closed Thread

Tags
priority, golf, courses, guess, championship

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.