Priority membership for 'snowbird' question

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2019, 02:08 PM

OK, made the call and I was told we'll be considered resident members, so it looks like the priority will only save about 8 bucks a round (unless fees change come Jan 1st) but as I'm hoping to get in 50+ rounds over the 4 months excluding the exec courses, it seems to make sense getting the priority, especially with the shorter days leaving less tee times available.

Hope this info helps any other snowbirds wondering what's up down there.

I'm sure I'll end up going out on my own more than a few times but I do plan on getting in contact with the Bandits when I get there.

Thanks again all
Old 10-25-2019, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkman View Post
OK, made the call and I was told we'll be considered resident members, so it looks like the priority will only save about 8 bucks a round (unless fees change come Jan 1st) but as I'm hoping to get in 50+ rounds over the 4 months excluding the exec courses, it seems to make sense getting the priority, especially with the shorter days leaving less tee times available.

Hope this info helps any other snowbirds wondering what's up down there.

I'm sure I'll end up going out on my own more than a few times but I do plan on getting in contact with the Bandits when I get there.

Thanks again all
I believe you did not consider the priority membership fee as part of the eight dollar savings. Here are the approx numbers
$600 for a 6 mos priority membership minus $90 for a 6 mos trailpass which comes with the membership is = $510. $510 divided by $8 savings per round is 63.75 rounds before reaching the breakeven point. You had it right in tn the beginning IE if you are a single you will be better off financially and degrees of freedom of choice without the membership since you can almost always find a slot as a single. The downside is if you do find that group of guys to hook up with as a regular that won't want you without the membership so they get first choice tee times. If it were my decision I would not get the membership the first year while you learn the lay of the land. For all you know at this point you may meet a bunch of guys that play championship 1-2 times per week and execs 1-2 week. Very common for this to take place here.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:14 PM
Default Bandits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosbestus View Post
We have a group called THE BANDITS we play all championship courses you must have a priority membership. We are scheduled to play Glenview Friday Between 7 and 8 if you want to come visit the groups leader and they will fill you on all the details. Come to Glenview restaurant we all sit accross from the bar....All the waitresses know us......or if thats not possible you can private message me with your phone number and I will fill out the details. We play 3 times a week. We have 20 guys scheduled for Friday to play.
Do the Bandits also play the championship courses south of 466A?
Old 10-25-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I believe you did not consider the priority membership fee as part of the eight dollar savings. Here are the approx numbers
$600 for a 6 mos priority membership minus $90 for a 6 mos trailpass which comes with the membership is = $510. $510 divided by $8 savings per round is 63.75 rounds before reaching the breakeven point. You had it right in tn the beginning IE if you are a single you will be better off financially and degrees of freedom of choice without the membership since you can almost always find a slot as a single. The downside is if you do find that group of guys to hook up with as a regular that won't want you without the membership so they get first choice tee times. If it were my decision I would not get the membership the first year while you learn the lay of the land. For all you know at this point you may meet a bunch of guys that play championship 1-2 times per week and execs 1-2 week. Very common for this to take place here.
Thanks, yeah, I realize it'll be a little short but in a perfect world I get the 60+ rounds to actually break even and if not it'll help with the groups that require priority.

Although now I'm wondering if I can reserve a time as a single or are they only given out in 4somes?

I guess there really is a legit reason for that Golf School.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks, yeah, I realize it'll be a little short but in a perfect world I get the 60+ rounds to actually break even and if not it'll help with the groups that require priority.

Although now I'm wondering if I can reserve a time as a single or are they only given out in 4somes?

I guess there really is a legit reason for that Golf School.
Yes you can reserve (which I believe you are asking request not reserve) tee times as a single. Before we go further (and I will to help you) do you know the difference between a request and a reservation ?
Old 10-25-2019, 04:41 PM

Oops, my bad, yes request is 7 days and reservations is 2-3 days, correct? I would think it would be easier to request as a group but I guess with the system they have in place they can probably hook up singles who request a time too

Without having a clue, I'm thinking I'l probably go the reserve route for the exec courses when I don't have champ times. Does that make sense or do the exec courses fill up too?

I'm just tossing out thoughts here now, so feel free to tell be to shut up if it's too much.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Oops, my bad, yes request is 7 days and reservations is 2-3 days, correct? I would think it would be easier to request as a group but I guess with the system they have in place they can probably hook up singles who request a time too

Without having a clue, I'm thinking I'l probably go the reserve route for the exec courses when I don't have champ times. Does that make sense or do the exec courses fill up too?

I'm just tossing out thoughts here now, so feel free to tell be to shut up if it's too much.
Correct. A "request" can be put in up to 7 days before the desired day for a tee time. It remains a request until midnight 3 days before the desired playdate at which time it becomes a "reservation". Nothing happens to the "request" until that 3 day prior to midnight point. In other words you can cancel or change it without penalty points until that midnight deadline. Once it is a reservation you are now subject to penalty points if you cancel out. If you cancel out of the "reservation" prior to the day of play you get nailed with two points (one as a penalty and one as if you played the round). If you do a no show or call in a cancel the day of your tee time you get nailed with three points.

OK why all that explanation? Most groups put in foursomes as a request. That becomes a reservation thus you as a single would not be considered per the tee time system into that group because it is full. Now prior to midnight the day before playdate is when golfer cancels to accumulate a two point penalty Vs three. That is visible on the system immediately when the golfer hits the send button and becomes an open tee time in the "reservation" section. The long way home but you will find as a single many open spots in the reservations due to cancellations especially the day before.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:43 AM
Default Group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Correct. A "request" can be put in up to 7 days before the desired day for a tee time. It remains a request until midnight 3 days before the desired playdate at which time it becomes a "reservation". Nothing happens to the "request" until that 3 day prior to midnight point. In other words you can cancel or change it without penalty points until that midnight deadline. Once it is a reservation you are now subject to penalty points if you cancel out. If you cancel out of the "reservation" prior to the day of play you get nailed with two points (one as a penalty and one as if you played the round). If you do a no show or call in a cancel the day of your tee time you get nailed with three points.
OK why all that explanation? Most groups put in foursomes as a request. That becomes a reservation thus you as a single would not be considered per the tee time system into that group because it is full. Now prior to midnight the day before playdate is when golfer cancels to accumulate a two point penalty Vs three. That is visible on the system immediately when the golfer hits the send button and becomes an open tee time in the "reservation" section. The long way home but you will find as a single many open spots in the reservations due to cancellations especially the day before.
Very good info, thanks. Question when there is an adjusted tee time from foursome to three the day before would the tee time office or pro shop, if called, tell you that that tee time is actually part of a group?
Old 10-26-2019, 08:00 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:

As a single you will find numerous opportunities to get a tee time on the execs through the reservation system, especially if you go to system the morning of the third day out. The execs do fill up, especially in the winter, but by going on early you will find plenty of opportunities at times and courses you are interested in. Also note that points are irrelevant when using the reservation system, as opposed to the request system.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowdie View Post
Very good info, thanks. Question when there is an adjusted tee time from foursome to three the day before would the tee time office or pro shop, if called, tell you that that tee time is actually part of a group?
I doubt that they will give you that info IE did one person put in the request all four golfers or was it 3-4 individuals making their own requests. I do know that on the play date the starter knows that info but I have no idea if they are obligated to release that info. From the "reservation" opening you can tell the makeup of the foursome (or should I say threesome since there is an opening). Believe it or not it discloses gender makeup. Example 2 males one female. That info could be of some help if you are trying to break into a group that plays together on a regular basis.

Another small tip for you is many groups that play together on a regular basis frequently play a captain and crew format or something similar. It is a way of evening the field of different caliber of golfers. Quite often there might be a small wager of a few bucks per man going on. If you end up in one of these groups as a fourth man and would like to have a chance of "busting in" don't be afraid to participate in the game if invited. If they like you it would be common for them to invite you to be a sub. Bingo you are on your way to being one of the gang. It's not hard at all.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:34 PM

Thanks again guys.

One more question, does the Priority Membership cover the "online tee time service?"

How would one go about requesting/reserving times without it?

Or is that just another added expense that 'The Man' is using to get at our life savings?
Old 10-29-2019, 01:46 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Thanks again guys.

One more question, does the Priority Membership cover the "online tee time service?"

How would one go about requesting/reserving times without it?

Or is that just another added expense that 'The Man' is using to get at our life savings?

Online is $8 per month.

You can turn it off and on if you are a snow.
It's well worth it............You can check for opening for the next three days.

Otherwise..............."the damn phone reservation system"
Old 10-29-2019, 04:46 PM

Do they allow calling the individual courses to check for tee times or is it all done through the phone system.

I'll be doing the phone service anyway, just wondering how bad you get bent over if you don't 'pay to play'
Old 10-29-2019, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
...I'll be doing the phone service anyway, just wondering how bad you get bent over if you don't 'pay to play'
You would be a good candidate for "Good Golf School" held once a month at Colony Cottage. The info for a class reservation is in the sports section, you need to call because they'll have about 80 people in a class. The 2-1/2 hour class is probably about one hour spent just on using the phone system and I still didn't understand it. The $8 a month is a life-saver. For one, if you plan on grabbing a open teetime with another twosome or threesome, how will you even they exist. It's all laid out on the computer system, by course, nine holes, time, number of players and sex of players. The phone system is good for requests but not much else. Callling the course proshop for a teetime the day of play is OK but not before the day of play. The executive courses this is common for singles to call the starter shack the day of play, my neighbor does it all the time. Championship, not so much.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:10 PM

Someone else mentioned that class too, I plan on taking it.
Closed Thread

Tags
time, make, playing, find, courses

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.