Private Clubs in The Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Private Clubs in The Villages?

Are there no private golf clubs here? Up north there were plenty of private clubs where you paid your annual dues and played unlimited golf. Here, I'm told that because I own a home here that I am a "member" of all of these so called "country clubs". But even though I am a member, I have to pay a green fee. I understand that none of the courses have an annual dues.
When I look for reviews of these country clubs, mostly I see how good or bad the food is and how nice it is to have cocktails on the patio.
I gave up golf a few years back because of a number of orthopedic issues, but thought that I might give it a try again.
I was a decent player at one time and would play and practice every day. It seems that that would be extremely expensive here unless one wants to play what they call "executive" courses which are really mostly par 3 courses.
Are there no course or clubs that have annual dues with no green fee in this area?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Are there no private golf clubs here? Up north there were plenty of private clubs where you paid your annual dues and played unlimited golf. Here, I'm told that because I own a home here that I am a "member" of all of these so called "country clubs". But even though I am a member, I have to pay a green fee. I understand that none of the courses have an annual dues.
When I look for reviews of these country clubs, mostly I see how good or bad the food is and how nice it is to have cocktails on the patio.
I gave up golf a few years back because of a number of orthopedic issues, but thought that I might give it a try again.
I was a decent player at one time and would play and practice every day. It seems that that would be extremely expensive here unless one wants to play what they call "executive" courses which are really mostly par 3 courses.
Are there no course or clubs that have annual dues with no green fee in this area?
No. NOT within The Villages. I can't help but be very surprised that you don't know this because you have been here for quite some while. But at our house Golf is spelled with a capital G...lol.

And I wouldn't be quick to dismiss some of the executive courses. Playing from the back tees on Pelican is no baby game.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
No. NOT within The Villages. I can't help but be very surprised that you don't know this because you have been here for quite some while. But at our house Golf is spelled with a capital G...lol.

And I wouldn't be quick to dismiss some of the executive courses. Playing from the back tees on Pelican is no baby game.
Playing from the front tees on Pelican is no baby game either! I did it yesterday!
Old 03-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Send a message via AIM to Mickedamouse24

Me thinks this is a bait post!!! Stir the pot.....!!!!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
It seems that that would be extremely expensive here unless one wants to play what they call "executive" courses which are really mostly par 3 courses.
"What they call 'executive' courses here" sounds like an outsider looking in on something he's never actually walked onto and tried.

Most golfers realize that being able to play for free every day of the year on 30+ courses graded in skill level, for $140/month/home lifestyle amenities fee, is perfect for practice every day....and probably the best bargain around, too.

Private clubs and country clubs screen, admit, and exclude people, to keep membership "exclusive". That is not what The Villages is about.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Are there no private golf clubs here?

Yes, I believe Stonecrest and Del Webb Spruce Creek CC's have annual and 6 months membership with unlimited free golf using both clubs.

http://www.stonecrestgolfclub.com/aboutus/memberships/

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-24-2013, 02:48 PM

Totally agree ilovetv. Lived in NJ all my life, but was never "invited" to play at Baltusrol, Echo Lake, Forsgate, etc. Lived next to the Plainfield Country Club and the only time I got a glimpse was during the Barclay's. Can't wait to officially become a Villager on April 22 so I can play anywhere I please.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
The difference in the two concepts center on initiation fees and monthly dues. My former club had a large initiation fee and sizable monthly dues plus a cart fee for every round. Divide that by the number of rounds played in a month and the cost of Village "clubs" is pretty reasonable.

Most members at conventional country clubs are still in their working years and don't play more than two or three times a week. The monthly dues model would not work here because people would be playing every day (maybe more than once).

The current system is very equitable for all villagers and affords everyone the taste of a club setting at a reasonable cost.

Private clubs are available a short ride away for anyone desiring that option.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

One does not simply pay ones annual dues at a country club and then play unlimited golf. There is usually an initiation fee, then the annual dues, then the minimum to be spent each month in the dining room, then the incessant tipping of everyone you run into starting at the bag drop, the locker room, the often mandatory caddy, etc. Even without an initiation fee, dues typically run about 4 to 5 thousand a year. I could play more than 100 times a year on a villages course for that money as well as play for free on the exec courses. Because of this competition of free and inexpensive golf, I think a members only country club would be a difficult business model to make work here, especially since country clubs are quite often used for business connections and social interactions. Here, most of us have no need of business connections, and social interactions abound.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Default Villages Best For Everyone

The Villages golf system is the same for everyone regardless of their income. All residents are allowed to play any of the courses, the Country Clubs for reasonable fees and the Executives for no fee. Private clubs are only for those who can afford the exorbitant entry fees, the Villages golf is for anyone no matter what their income, very fair.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Gold member

I think Dr. B is messing with us. :-)
Old 04-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Cool

I was a member of a club in Ohio and I can say most assuredly that The Villages is much more economical not to mention all year golf.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Country Club of Ocala is not a bad track and very reasonable by most CC standards. $4500 initiation fee, $435 a month dues, $100 a month food minimum, plus the usual special assessments and tipping.

Golden Ocala is a bit more upscale with $15000 initiation, $575 a month dues and $100 a month food minimum.

Both places have "other" fees and cart fees as most private clubs do.

I belong to a private club in VA and it costs me on average $1200 to $1500 a month for dues, food, carts and the "other" expenses. Plus I also paid a significant up front initiation fee. So Villages golf is a bargain. Will be very happy when we move there and my golf costs drop.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Gold member

Since the championship courses in TV are not owned by the residents or community associations, wonder if there is anything to keep the owners from selling memberships and turning them into private courses?
Old 04-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Country Club of Ocala is not a bad track and very reasonable by most CC standards. $4500 initiation fee, $435 a month dues, $100 a month food minimum, plus the usual special assessments and tipping.

Golden Ocala is a bit more upscale with $15000 initiation, $575 a month dues and $100 a month food minimum.

Both places have "other" fees and cart fees as most private clubs do.

I belong to a private club in VA and it costs me on average $1200 to $1500 a month for dues, food, carts and the "other" expenses. Plus I also paid a significant up front initiation fee. So Villages golf is a bargain. Will be very happy when we move there and my golf costs drop.
You can play a lot of golf in a lot of places for $18,000 a year
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.