the proper clubs

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2022, 03:26 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager7591 View Post
I've been playing for 60 years and am a 'good' player. Please do NOT get fitted if you are just learning. That will be a huge waste of money. Get any inexpensive set, learn a swing with them. After your swing has become consistent in, say 5 years, then go get fitted, if you want. * I've never been fitted and am a single-digit handicap.
Same with me. Over 60 years golfing, never fitted, no lessons and got to a 4 USGA handicap... Grew up next to a golf course and caddied in summers. Learned on my own...

Old 06-20-2022, 03:33 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcarl84 View Post
Take the New to Golf lessons at Sarasota. They have clubs you can use for the lessons. You will learn the basics, including etiquette for golf in The Villages. The instructors are fabulous, and they can fit you for clubs afterwards.

Also, as another poster recommended, take the free Good Golf School. The tips they provide for using the tee time system are very helpful.
This should be a prerequisite for ALL NEW BEGINNER golfers. LEARN GOLF ETIQUETTE..

Old 06-21-2022, 07:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinSanto View Post
I will be starting the learning process for golfing here in the villages.My main question is about choosing the first set of clubs. Do I find a set strictly for beginers as opposed to intermediate clubs to grow into? Are there certain brands that suit beginners? Are there brands to avoid for beginers? Should I go for a fitting before I buy anything or would this be a waste of time and money? I'm average height and weight. Anyone made mistakes and would care to share?
Go to a thrift shop and select a set of clubs that feel comfortable to you. I got my wife a set of Pings with lightweight shafts, left handed, for $3 a club. If you later find you like the game, and can use something better, go for it. Otherwise your custom fitted $500 set of clubs will end up at a thrift shop 20 years from now, and some nice volunteer will have to clean the dust off them.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:57 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
Go to a thrift shop and select a set of clubs that feel comfortable to you. I got my wife a set of Pings with lightweight shafts, left handed, for $3 a club. If you later find you like the game, and can use something better, go for it. Otherwise your custom fitted $500 set of clubs will end up at a thrift shop 20 years from now, and some nice volunteer will have to clean the dust off them.
You were lucky to find a good set of clubs at a thrift store. Wife goes to them a lot and told me that she saw a Titeliest driver at a thrift store which sounded like a newer model. Went to the store and it was the exact model of a club that donated to the local driving range which taught handicapped children to play 10+ years ago. It did have the old smaller head

If buying from a thrift shop, probably need to figure in cost(s) of new grips which start at about $7.00 a club installed.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:01 AM

Get a free set from the guy on this post (clubs make minimal difference for beginners as long as clubs are no more that 5-6 years old.) Lessons First. Then driving range several times, 8-10 buckets. Then Pitch and Putt courses for 6-8 rounds. Then head to Sarasota course with larger holes. (4-5 rounds there) . Enjoy - please play quickly, 1 or 2 practice swings, then hit it, get to your ball, repeat...
Closed Thread

Tags
clubs, beginers, set, brands, money

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.