the proper clubs

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2022, 05:44 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,072 Times in 429 Posts

Another vote for Golf Central in Brownwood. While as a raw beginner, you don't want a full blown fitting yet, they will make sure to get you into a set with the right shaft flex (for now), and the proper grip size. Another good store is Johnnie's Birdie Golf on 466. They will offer the same services, and have a good selection of pre-owned clubs if that is the direction you choose.

As previously mentioned, spend some money on lessons. That will greatly help flatten out the learning curve, and make the game much more enjoyable. Above all else, get out and play.
Old 06-20-2022, 05:57 AM
Default Golf clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinSanto View Post
I will be starting the learning process for golfing here in the villages.My main question is about choosing the first set of clubs. Do I find a set strictly for beginers as opposed to intermediate clubs to grow into? Are there certain brands that suit beginners? Are there brands to avoid for beginers? Should I go for a fitting before I buy anything or would this be a waste of time and money? I'm average height and weight. Anyone made mistakes and would care to share?
Get fitted and get more than one fitting, before buying. Unfortunately, there are several fitters out there that don’t properly fit correctly. Lessons a must. Bad habits are hard to fix. Do t skimp on cheap clubs. With golf your either all in or not, if you want to get half way decent.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyb View Post
Get fitted and get more than one fitting, before buying. Unfortunately, there are several fitters out there that don’t properly fit correctly. Lessons a must. Bad habits are hard to fix. Do t skimp on cheap clubs. With golf your either all in or not, if you want to get half way decent.
Have to disagree. If the OP is a true beginner (other than the type of golf played through a windmill or clown's mouth), he doesn't need a fitting or even moderate cost clubs until he develops something resembling a golf swing. Better off investing in a few lessons and attending good golf school.

Remember, Bobby Jones played with a "set" of clubs of which no 2 were matching, and by today's standards would be cheaper than cheap.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
That's a joke, right??????
I was referring to a beginner using an expensive set of clubs. It won't help much.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:41 AM
Veteran member

Visit golf central. They actually have the same price that Amazon has. I bought my new set from golf central and they measured me for the right size clubs. They spent some time with me before and after the sale. I think I spent $600 for a new set of clubs/bag and I got rid of a bunch of used clubs that I got piece meal for the past 25 years and during the last year in the villages. I would stay away from Johnny’s birdies, when we started golfing again this year after a 20 year layoff, we went to Johnny’s to buy a bunch of used clubs. For a mish mash of used clubs that were 20+ years old, we ended up paying almost 1/3 of what a new set would have been. I traded in these clubs for a new set at golf central and got 10 cents on a dollar for the trade in. I should have just bought a new set and if I didn’t like golf again, I would have got more money selling them
Old 06-20-2022, 06:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I was referring to a beginner using an expensive set of clubs. It won't help much.
I misunderstood, sorry, my bad
Old 06-20-2022, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

go to garage sales and pick up a set for nearly nothing. Play the game for a while, talk to different people, see for yourself, before you spend money for something you do not need at the moment. THEN when you know what you need and like and want, THEN buy yourself a new set.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinSanto View Post
I will be starting the learning process for golfing here in the villages.My main question is about choosing the first set of clubs. Do I find a set strictly for beginers as opposed to intermediate clubs to grow into? Are there certain brands that suit beginners? Are there brands to avoid for beginers? Should I go for a fitting before I buy anything or would this be a waste of time and money? I'm average height and weight. Anyone made mistakes and would care to share?
Ask your instructor
Old 06-20-2022, 07:09 AM

I've been playing for 60 years and am a 'good' player. Please do NOT get fitted if you are just learning. That will be a huge waste of money. Get any inexpensive set, learn a swing with them. After your swing has become consistent in, say 5 years, then go get fitted, if you want. * I've never been fitted and am a single-digit handicap.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:13 AM

I’m a beginner as well. Was looking at an inexpensive beginner set, but was talked into a better set to “grow into” as I learned. I am so happy with my purchase. I do need to have a few of the clubs cut down as it turns out, but even this has been part of the learning curve.
In my opinion (as a newbie) golfing with helpful encouraging friends has made all the difference. Good golfing wishes to you!
Old 06-20-2022, 07:17 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager7591 View Post
After your swing has become consistent in, say 5 years,
That's a depressing thought.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Stop down at Golf Central.
They will fit you for free.
You can hit different sets for free.
They can show you all price level sets.
Visit them two or three times.......hitting clubs each time.

Buying a used set off the internet COULD impact you efforts negatively.
(wrong length, wrong shaft, wrong head angle)

Golf Central does carry used sets if you are not ready to jump in with both feet.

Good Luck.
The key word in that statement is “free”; you get what you pay for as in quality. Hitting into a net doesn’t show you ball flight or anything. And you do know those machines that are used to ‘“allegedly” show your results by the companies that only let you hit into a net can be manipulated to give you results a whole lot better than you are.

Free…..
Old 06-20-2022, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Good gawd. Some of the advice you wannabe fitters are giving is a joke. Go to a garage sale and pick up some clubs? What about the person that has a slow swing speed and get a set of stiff flex clubs. Or the husband that passes his steel shafted clubs down to his wife to save money. Do yourself a service and get fit and get the right clubs.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:47 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Hitting into a net doesn’t show
you hit into a net can ..
No nets at Golf Central.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,030 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
That's a joke, right??????

What's funny about that? The original poster is 100% correct.

For someone just learning the game, he doesn't need anything fancy. "Knock Off" clubs have the same shafts, grips & components as clubs sold by the big club suppliers.

Either Amazon or Johnny's Birdie Golf on 466 is probably the best source for a playable bag of clubs for a beginner.

To the original poster: Don't listen to the nonsense about "fitting" & "length", etc. 95% of all mens clubs are produced with generic specifications, that will fit most anyone of average height. Unless you're unusually tall or have a "sleeve length" that doesn't fall between 30" - 33", you'll be fine with a set of "standard" clubs to learn with. I've played 100 rounds of golf in The Villages, with 300 different people. I've yet to play with anyone good enough, they could significantly benefit from a "fitting".
Closed Thread

Tags
clubs, beginers, set, brands, money

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.