the proper clubs

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2022, 08:03 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I've played 100 rounds of golf in The Villages, with 300 different people.
What are the odds of that.................ALWAYS played in a foursome & NEVER played with the same person twice.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Don't go there.
Frustrating game, and you'll use words that Webster doesn't know about.

You'll pay good money to go on someone's land, to hit a little white ball,
then chase your white ball down the fare way.

Best to take up knitting with the red hat ladies.
I think the late Robin Williams said it best:

https://youtu.be/fui7yvebIdk
Old 06-20-2022, 08:29 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Looks like the set of put put clubs on a cruise ship.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:45 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinSanto View Post
I will be starting the learning process for golfing here in the villages.My main question is about choosing the first set of clubs. Do I find a set strictly for beginers as opposed to intermediate clubs to grow into? Are there certain brands that suit beginners? Are there brands to avoid for beginers? Should I go for a fitting before I buy anything or would this be a waste of time and money? I'm average height and weight. Anyone made mistakes and would care to share?
Did not mention your budget. If you want a new club look into getting a year old model. They are usually 20-25% less than the newest model. Newest model(especially irons) are not very different As others state get fitted. Edwin Watts does have a very good supply of slightly used name brand clubs. The employees there are very knowledgable. Most of us are getting older and grip size is probably the most important part of the club. Putters have the most difference.

Noted comments about buying used. Just got back from Markets of Marion. Guy is selling 30-40 year old clubs with ORIGINAL grips and brands that I have never heard of for cheap prices that should have been thrown out years ago. If buying used, try to stick with a good brand name such as Calloway, Titleist, Taylor Made Ping etc. If you do not like them they can be re sold.

Lastly, for me, choose a forgiving golf club(with the recommendation of the fitter) and a club that looks good to you when you set up. Years ago Ping made a set of irons known as the Ping Zing. Personally, I did not like them. When looking down at the club, they looked like a mallett.

Good luck with any decision you make
Old 06-20-2022, 08:57 AM

STOP! go get a couple of golf lessons.......you don't buy a car without learning to drive.........let the teacher guide you on what you need
It's not the arrow its learning how to use the bow....learn right and you will be able to hit any club...they all work...if you now how to use them....develop a swing that repeats....if you get frustrated change teachers or take up shuffleboard....
Old 06-20-2022, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
No nets at Golf Central.

So you actually hit balls that you can see the flight on? Or is it just a static fitting?
Old 06-20-2022, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
What's funny about that? The original poster is 100% correct.

For someone just learning the game, he doesn't need anything fancy. "Knock Off" clubs have the same shafts, grips & components as clubs sold by the big club suppliers.

Either Amazon or Johnny's Birdie Golf on 466 is probably the best source for a playable bag of clubs for a beginner.

To the original poster: Don't listen to the nonsense about "fitting" & "length", etc. 95% of all mens clubs are produced with generic specifications, that will fit most anyone of average height. Unless you're unusually tall or have a "sleeve length" that doesn't fall between 30" - 33", you'll be fine with a set of "standard" clubs to learn with. I've played 100 rounds of golf in The Villages, with 300 different people. I've yet to play with anyone good enough, they could significantly benefit from a "fitting".
read post #21
Old 06-20-2022, 09:19 AM

I would like to tell you that if you don't get a couple of lessons before you start playing golf you will be sorry. Once you develop a bad habit in golf it is very hard to change. If you have a friend who is a pretty good golfer he can show you the grip and stance. He can then show you how to set up to swing at the ball. I would get an old club, like a 6 iron and practice your swing with that at the net. You can at least know if you like the game at that point. This game is very hard and frustrating so you need a lot of patience. I have been playing for about 70 years. I am not the best but I do know quite a bit about golf so if you would like to get some advise about the set up and swing call me and I would be glad to meet you at a net preferably at Bonifay or Belle Glade late in the day. I will bring some clubs that you can swing and see if you like the game. Give me a call if you would like to try hitting some balls. 732-674-7446 and we can make a date. I love helping people with their swing. Have a good day.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
So you actually hit balls that you can see the flight on? Or is it just a static fitting?
Screen.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:10 AM

Get fitted for your clubs. They don't have to be expensive but you will enjoy the game much more and learn faster with a fitted set. The most important thing you need to do is TAKE LESSONS. They will pay for themselves with less frustration and much more enjoyment. Learn proper GOLF ETIQUETTE. That includes raking the traps, fixing your divots and fixing your ball marks. That is your responsibility, no one else's. Keep up with the pace of play. On average, a hole should be played in 9 minutes. A little more for a par 5 and less for a par 3. If you are consistently slow, pick up and move onto the next hole. A slow player isn't entitled to someone else's time. Above all, never get mad at a bad shot. Laugh at it. Anger will destroy whatever ability you have learned for the entire round. A bad shot is ancient history and a good recovery can be very satisfying. One must keep their head to recover and even the pros make bad shots. Besides, every mistake is a learning opportunity. That's the best advise I can give. Good Luck and have fun.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:44 AM

Take the New to Golf lessons at Sarasota. They have clubs you can use for the lessons. You will learn the basics, including etiquette for golf in The Villages. The instructors are fabulous, and they can fit you for clubs afterwards.

Also, as another poster recommended, take the free Good Golf School. The tips they provide for using the tee time system are very helpful.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Screen.

Same as a net and the results can still be manipulated; simulated wind from a persons back can be increased to show a lot more distance. Right to left and left to right wind can also be adjusted to overcome a fade or draw.

How do I know this? I caught a fitter at Golf Galaxy in St. LouIs doing this.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Same as a net and the results can still be manipulated; simulated wind from a persons back can be increased to show a lot more distance. Right to left and left to right wind can also be adjusted to overcome a fade or draw.

How do I know this? I caught a fitter at Golf Galaxy in St. LouIs doing this
Toto, We are not in Kansas anymore.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:28 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

I recommended earlier that if you know basically what length club you need then go look for a inexpensive set. This site often has clubs for sale.

I failed to mention that some sites like Ping have charts where you enter your height, age, sex, and level and they will suggest a length and shaft type for you. This is not a professional fitting but it is a good starting point for a true beginner.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 06-20-2022, 02:45 PM

just trying to dissuade him from fitting right now...
Closed Thread

Tags
clubs, beginers, set, brands, money

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.