Proper Golf Attire in Question

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2022, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Lots of time and energy wrangling over 1/4 inch.

Here's an idea. Wear a shirt with an actual COLLAR the next time out.

Failing that, my understanding is that the shacks have shirts with collars available for the round for the guy who inadvertently (or intentionally) wore a shirt close to the line. They'll probably offer one to you if you're a nice guy about it rather than attempting to argue the point.
So what exactly are you saying. That one shouldn’t wear a nice golf shirt they purchased specifically because it complies with the Villages dress code because some golf course employees aren’t properly educated on how to do their jobs?
Old 11-03-2022, 06:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
You fashion model you.

That’s what my wife tells me, glad you agree : )
Old 11-03-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Agree

Really trying hard to make something out of nothing.

Now I'm hungry for popcorn.
You reply 3 times on this thread, and now you proclaim it's a boring thread..
Old 11-03-2022, 07:29 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! View Post
You reply 3 times on this thread, and now you proclaim it's a boring thread..
More than 3.

I fell for it (Really trying hard to make something out of nothing.)
Old 11-03-2022, 08:48 PM

At Lowlands, they know me as a regular. One starter said, when I wore a crew neck short sleeve shirt (like Tiger), that some starters would not allow, others would allow. I wear them at the driving range only and go with the 3-button golf shirts at the course. Would hate to show up for a tee time and be denied.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:37 AM
Default Golf shirts

Also known as a “blade” collar, which is allowable, per The Villages golf dress code (for exec & champ). Henley/Blade button at the top, like a polo, but no collar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
What is a Henley collar? Never heard of it.

Last edited by KimmieK; 11-04-2022 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimschlaefer View Post
I know there's a quick, easy, brute force solution to this dilemma, but I've gotta start this thread anyway. Not too long ago, proper attire for a golf outing included, for men at least, a collared shirt. Then Tiger Woods came along wearing a Henley collared shirt and the PGA decided, "if it's good enough for Tiger, it's good enough for all". Well, The Villages Golf organization decided to go along with that PGA position and changed their requirements for men's shirts to include Henley collared shirts. They even updated their 'Proper Attire' poster to include a blue Henley example. Then the dilemma came about when going to Executive Courses (haven't tried this on the Champion Courses yet) at tee time while wearing a Henley collared shirt and being told it was not proper attire. Even when the poster showed a Henley on it. Now this isn't ALL Executive Courses, but seems to follow specific individual starters more than anything. It's tough showing up at a specific course where you have played in a Henley before and have a different starter tell you, you're under-dressed and can't tee off. How can we get everyone on the same page?? Apparently not all starters either know the rules or have decided to interpret them as they see fit. One starter told me I was wearing a Henley, but the collar wasn't high enough so he considered it a tee-shirt.

And before anyone suggests the easy fix "wear a collared shirt and the dilemma doesn't exist", I get that. This is about seeking some consistency. That's all.
It also used to be that blue jeans were not allowed on the course. But apparently that rule has been thrown out the window. Outside courses say "No denim or tank tops". But in The Villages you can come from the corn harvest right to the golf course. (Yes, I'm from Iowa.)
Old 11-04-2022, 06:14 AM

Welcome to life outside your bubble!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Old 11-04-2022, 06:41 AM

Yeah, "selective enforcement", it runs rampid in TV.
Old 11-04-2022, 06:43 AM

Easy fix. ALL shirts must have a collar.
Old 11-04-2022, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
What is a Henley collar? Never heard of it.
Damn. At first read I thought it said 'Harley' shirt. Well I got plenty of them, all colors and logos!
Old 11-04-2022, 06:55 AM
Default Ridiculous next Publix is going to tell us we have to be properly dressed to go in

Quote:
I know there's a quick, easy, brute force solution to this dilemma, but I've gotta start this thread anyway. Not too long ago, proper attire for a golf outing included, for men at least, a collared shirt. Then Tiger Woods came along wearing a Henley collared shirt and the PGA decided, "if it's good enough for Tiger, it's good enough for all". Well, The Villages Golf organization decided to go along with that PGA position and changed their requirements for men's shirts to include Henley collared shirts. They even updated their 'Proper Attire' poster to include a blue Henley example. Then the dilemma came about when going to Executive Courses (haven't tried this on the Champion Courses yet) at tee time while wearing a Henley collared shirt and being told it was not proper attire. Even when the poster showed a Henley on it. Now this isn't ALL Executive Courses, but seems to follow specific individual starters more than anything. It's tough showing up at a specific course where you have played in a Henley before and have a different starter tell you, you're under-dressed and can't tee off. How can we get everyone on the same page?? Apparently not all starters either know the rules or have decided to interpret them as they see fit. One starter told me I was wearing a Henley, but the collar wasn't high enough so he considered it a tee-shirt.

And before anyone suggests the easy fix "wear a collared shirt and the dilemma doesn't exist", I get that. This is about seeking some consistency. That's all.
Ridiculous the next thing Publix is going to require proper attire to go food shopping
Old 11-04-2022, 06:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Personally IMHO, who really cares what anyone wears playing any "sport"? even at the driving ranges, women have FAR more leniency than men. They can go out there practically in anything they want, should go both ways. It makes zero sense, and frankly it really shouldn't matter what you wear.

This is why Lewis Black portrays golfers like he does......
Old 11-04-2022, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

In my opinion, the biggest issue regarding the dress code is tee shirts because a lot of Villagers wear them every day. I doubt that banning tee shirts really has a positive effect on the golf courses.
Old 11-04-2022, 07:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:

Just wear a shirt with a collar and avoid the aggravation. Donate all your non-conforming shirts to Goodwill.
Closed Thread

Tags
henley, collared, shirt, proper, attire

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.