Pros teaching

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2018, 10:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
How many golfers here play by the rules.....play the ball as it lies, no gimmies, no mulligans etc. The rule should be "get out and enjoy the game".
As long as you aren't slowing play or not raking your traps or not fixing ball marks, play what is fun to you.
Get out and enjoy the game.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Sage
Default I digress...

I used to teach beginners for fun, I have no credentials, but as an amateur, they had no cost .

Mostly my wife's friends; I really enjoyed teaching, so much so a friend that ran a range in Norton, MA had to ask me to stop as his teaching pros were complaining about me. I told him these people would never pay a nickle never mind $50. I understood and had no issue with his position...

Back to the subject at hand. Every beginner I taught I told them to tee it up in fairway for a while for enjoyment . I fail to see how putting a peg in ground slows play?

Honestly a large portion of golfers I meet believe that a golf ball is struck on the upswing. They should use a tee themselves
Old 07-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Snip>

Back to the subject at hand. Every beginner I taught I told them to tee it up in fairway for a while for enjoyment.

I fail to see how putting a peg in ground slows play?

<Snip
Yep.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Platinum member

If folks are being told to just have fun, why aren't they told to step up and swing the club instead of standing statue-like for what seems like an eternity while they fill their heads with swing thoughts that have no chance of being executed when they try to muscle the ball onward with all their strength?
Old 07-03-2018, 02:46 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
If folks are being told to just have fun, why aren't they told to step up and swing the club instead of standing statue-like for what seems like an eternity while they fill their heads with swing thoughts that have no chance of being executed when they try to muscle the ball onward with all their strength?
Amen
Old 07-03-2018, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

When our granddaughter had to play with a pro so she could play golf here, she had to play by the rules of golf.

She just turned 10 that month. A pro must approve a young player before they can play. She passed, he complemented her game and did ask her if golf was in her future? She smiled, and said sure, soon as I graduate medical school, and need to network with my patients.

Rules were rules for a 10 year old just to play on our courses. Of course she is very competitive, respectful of the game, that she has been taught to play.

Last edited by asianthree; 07-03-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
Seems like whatever makes it fun for everyone should work out much better. I know of no one here who is playing for a Green Jacket on a daily basis. Tournament play should be by the rules, I agree. Even the pros can grant some latitude there, as well though, depending on conditions and type of tournament. As for the time it takes to tee it up, it is minimal. That takes much less time than someone taking 3-4+ practice swings, then changing clubs and doing the same routine. Not nearly as long as plumb-bobbing every putt from every angle, either.
Speaking of professionals have you ever followed them for a practice round? They break all kinds of rules. Do you think that unless there is a match between friends or a club tournament going on, that any of the rounds played here by casual golfers are anything more than practice rounds?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:38 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Speaking of professionals have you ever followed them for a practice round? They break all kinds of rules. Do you think that unless there is a match between friends or a club tournament going on, that any of the rounds played here by casual golfers are anything more than practice rounds?
I have followed the pros on their practice rounds. They are not breaking rules. They are practicing various shots and are not competeing.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
When our granddaughter had to play with a pro so she could play golf here, she had to play by the rules of golf.

She just turned 10 that month. A pro must approve a young player before they can play. She passed, he complemented her game and did ask her if golf was in her future? She smiled, and said sure, soon as I graduate medical school, and need to network with my patients.

Rules were rules for a 10 year old just to play on our courses. Of course she is very competitive, respectful of the game, that she has been taught to play.
Why do you think they want to see if a 10 year old knows how to consistently hit a ball and how to play the game?
Old 07-03-2018, 07:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Why do you think they want to see if a 10 year old knows how to consistently hit a ball and how to play the game?
No player under the age of 12 can play golf here unless they have been evaluated by a pro. It’s the rules. She has played since age 6 at our country club. But in TV you must be approved as to not slow play, make sure they know the rules, and most importantly respect of the game. And try not to smile too big when you out drive the old guys you get paired with, that just had a fit some kid much less a little girl is allowed to play, and yes that happens here. Some treat her with respect others not so much, but she thinks of them as a learning experience of keeping good manners and respect of elders. She believes that someday she will be doing their hip replacement, so you need to have compassion even they may not respect you as a young girl.

Last edited by asianthree; 07-03-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
No player under the age of 12 can play golf here unless they have been evaluated by a pro. It’s the rules. She has played since age 6 at our country club. But in TV you must be approved as to not slow play, make sure they know the rules, and most importantly respect of the game. And try not to smile too big when you out drive the old guys you get paired with, that just had a fit some kid much less a little girl is allowed to play, and yes that happens here. Some treat her with respect others not so much, but she thinks of them as a learning experience of keeping good manners and respect of elders. She believes that someday she will be doing their hip replacement, so you need to have compassion even they may not respect you as a young girl.
Wow--she thinks a lot. I don't think I know anyone who would be unkind to a 10 year old.

I coached high school golf. It would be wonderful to golf with children who enjoy the game.

I have officiated many tournaments over 30+years. Most high school don't have a girls team so the girls compete with the boys. There usually was 2 girls and 98 boys in end of season tournaments. You play your best players. The colleges give scholarships to boys and girls. They usually won't consider a boy who doesn't shoot par. But a girl does not have nearly as much competition.

Last edited by tomwed; 07-03-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Wow--she thinks a lot. I don't think I know anyone who would be unkind to a 10 year old.

I coached high school golf. It would be wonderful to golf with children who enjoy the game.

I have officiated many tournaments over 30+years. Most high school don't have a girls team so the girls compete with the boys. There usually was 2 girls and 98 boys in end of season tournaments. You play your best players. The colleges give scholarships to boys and girls. They usually won't consider a boy who doesn't shoot par. But a girl does not have nearly as much competition.
First year premed in the books at 17. She had 9 academic full rides to pick from. Female orthopods are few and far between. Some feel the do not have strength to do totals.
She has been reading films since age 4, diagnosed her fractured wrist in two places at age 5, that was missed by the ED doctor, and confirmed by the orthodontist who casted her. She was 5 when she asked for her first Greys.

Golf is something she does for fun, and really thinks of it as networking. She is always thinking how can she improve people’s lives.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
First year premed in the books at 17. She had 9 academic full rides to pick from. Female orthopods are few and far between. Some feel the do not have strength to do totals.
She has been reading films since age 4, diagnosed her fractured wrist in two places at age 5, that was missed by the ED doctor, and confirmed by the orthodontist who casted her. She was 5 when she asked for her first Greys.

Golf is something she does for fun, and really thinks of it as networking. She is always thinking how can she improve people’s lives.
I would be proud too.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:20 AM

I think the original post was forgotten in the rush. I agree the pros should teach the iron shot which they probably do, but to a lot of golfers it's a frustrating golf shot. That said, they tell them they may use the tee if they chose. I would rather they use the tee, which takes about 5 seconds, so they can hit that shot, so they aren't missing the shot several times down the fairway. A golfer will feel much better, and have MORE FUN, with the tee shots than the frustrating hacking that comes with fairway irons.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:05 AM

Yes and that is exactly what happened . Play slowed not speeded up as they teed the ball, lined themselves up hit the ball 10 feet and started it all over again. This is a game with rules regardless of whether you are a beginner or pro . You wouldn’t walk onto a pickle ball court or tennis court and catch the ball each time it came over the net and then serve it from where you are standing now because you couldnt make the return shot , would you? You wouldn’t get out of the pool during a swim race and dive back in during just because it would get you farther? This is a game with rules like every other sport and should be taught by instructors the correct way of playing . That is the point of this blog. Instructors should not be teaching wrong techniques and then send people out with the impression that this is the correct way to play and they should not “dumb” down a sport because a person is new to the game. I’d bet they aren’t teaching the men to play this way. They would be laughed right off the course. Why do it to a woman? These are instructors and as a teacher , I really resent instructors that aren’t teaching proper techniques to do something. I feel sorry for the beginners who are paying to be taught the improper way to do something . That is totally wrong and should be addressed and brought out in the open.
Closed Thread

Tags
told, women, rules, pros, made

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.