Pros teaching

Pros teaching

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:48 PM

My instructor told me the same thing If you feel more comfortable tee up. I did on long holes. Now I no longer do but I needed to in the beginning.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Bunch of nonsense. Teeing up in fairway slows play. That’s all we need more slow play.
I'll have to respectfully disagree.

How many times have you seen a beginner trying to hit it off of the ground and advancing it 10 yards at a time...or hitting it sideways?

It takes about 10 seconds to set a tee/ball in the fairway, where they at least have a chance of hitting it 50-100 yards.

Much faster play that way IMHO.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:58 AM

Default If you've been watching...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Bunch of nonsense. Teeing up in fairway slows play. That’s all we need more slow play.
closely most people that play here have a hard time getting that little round monster airborne. That usually means a lot more shots till they get to the green and since using double par as the pick up the ball and get to the next hole is hopefully used....that actually speeds up play. No nonsense about it. Just common sense.

As to the original post....how old is the average age here? Well most people here will never gain the consistency to enjoy hitting it off the ground and it's not "fun" to keep hitting those worm burners. So folks tee it up everywhere is a good thing. It isn't necessary unless it's a tournament or a usage event.

So lighten up folks or you can play a round with me and I'm quite sure I can find a penalty on most every hole to nail you(unless you actually play by all the rules...ie: don't tee it up ahead of the markers, don't ground your club in the sand, NO mulligans, every attempt to hit the ball is a stroke, marking the ball correctly, moving the ball on the green correctly to get it out of anothers line and penalty strokes). I could go on and on. Have fun. Be respectful and be courteous(rake your bunker properly, fill you divots, fix your pitch marks on the green, don't talk when others are hitting, don't walk in anothers line when on the green, first in tends the pin, don't drag your feet on the green, carts 15' away from tees greens and bunkers, turn off your carts bleeping radio.....)
Old 07-03-2018, 06:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsenholzi View Post
What is wrong with the pros that are teaching women to play in the villages? I played with beginners this past week and they were teeing the ball up in the middle of the fairway. When I asked what they were doing they told me their instructor told them if it made the game more fun and was easier they should do it. I thought they made a mistake in what they said but spoke to another person who told them their instructor told them the same thing. Come on, be real instructors out there. Teach women to play by the rules , not what feels good. It is embarrassing to be treated to different rules because it “feels good”. They will never learn this way and it holds up the game! Women are capable of playing the right way!

I think that you're confusing people that want to learn to play golf with people that want to have a nice day whacking a ball around a field and having lunch with their friends afterward.

Why should people who are going out to have fun, get some exercise and enjoy socializing with their friends have to be bothered with the rules of the game? Are they also supposed to hole every putt and abide by the out-of-bounds and lost ball rule? Would you encourage them not to pick up after double par?

I'd let them do whatever that want as long as they keep up a proper pace and do their part to maintain the course. It doesn't matter to me as long as I'm not playing against them for anything.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Platinum member

Seems like whatever makes it fun for everyone should work out much better. I know of no one here who is playing for a Green Jacket on a daily basis. Tournament play should be by the rules, I agree. Even the pros can grant some latitude there, as well though, depending on conditions and type of tournament. As for the time it takes to tee it up, it is minimal. That takes much less time than someone taking 3-4+ practice swings, then changing clubs and doing the same routine. Not nearly as long as plumb-bobbing every putt from every angle, either.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 07-03-2018, 10:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
How many golfers here play by the rules.....play the ball as it lies, no gimmies, no mulligans etc. The rule should be "get out and enjoy the game".
As long as you aren't slowing play or not raking your traps or not fixing ball marks, play what is fun to you.
Get out and enjoy the game.
I digress...
Old 07-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Sage

Default I digress...

I used to teach beginners for fun, I have no credentials, but as an amateur, they had no cost .

Mostly my wife's friends; I really enjoyed teaching, so much so a friend that ran a range in Norton, MA had to ask me to stop as his teaching pros were complaining about me. I told him these people would never pay a nickle never mind $50. I understood and had no issue with his position...

Back to the subject at hand. Every beginner I taught I told them to tee it up in fairway for a while for enjoyment . I fail to see how putting a peg in ground slows play?

Honestly a large portion of golfers I meet believe that a golf ball is struck on the upswing. They should use a tee themselves
Old 07-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Snip>

Back to the subject at hand. Every beginner I taught I told them to tee it up in fairway for a while for enjoyment.

I fail to see how putting a peg in ground slows play?

<Snip
Yep.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Gold member

If folks are being told to just have fun, why aren't they told to step up and swing the club instead of standing statue-like for what seems like an eternity while they fill their heads with swing thoughts that have no chance of being executed when they try to muscle the ball onward with all their strength?
Old 07-03-2018, 02:46 PM
Veteran member

Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
If folks are being told to just have fun, why aren't they told to step up and swing the club instead of standing statue-like for what seems like an eternity while they fill their heads with swing thoughts that have no chance of being executed when they try to muscle the ball onward with all their strength?
Amen

Tags
told, women, rules, pros, made