Putting Green Etiquette - Don't Hog Holes.

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2022, 09:32 PM
Thumbs up Putting Green Etiquette - Don't Hog Holes.

Would really appreciate if players would try not to occupy TWO holes on the putting green while practicing. See this all the time, a player standing right beside ONE hole while putting towards a SECOND hole.
This is my last remaining golf peeve - all else in Villages golf is perfect!

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"
Old 01-02-2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayesun View Post
Would really appreciate if players would try not to occupy TWO holes on the putting green while practicing. See this all the time, a player standing right beside ONE hole while putting towards a SECOND hole.
This is my pet peeve as well!
Old 01-03-2022, 05:56 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Nothing, absolutely nothing stopping you from putting at either hole.

Putt at the hole he/she is standing by, bounce the ball off his/her foot.......he/she will get the idea.

Putt at the same hole he/she is.........if you hit his/her ball, no big deal, it's practice.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,655 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Courtesy seems lacking at times, but that's not just in The Villages. We as a society have become much more self-centered and mean.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Nothing, absolutely nothing stopping you from putting at either hole.

Putt at the hole he/she is standing by, bounce the ball off his/her foot.......he/she will get the idea.

Putt at the same hole he/she is.........if you hit his/her ball, no big deal, it's practice.
Agree. Even on the PGA tour, there is no courtesy given on the practice greens.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:12 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

That is not an etiquette breach. And you should specify that you are writing about practice putting greens as some exec courses have two holes.

The person putting to another hole is perfectly within etiquette guidelines, but should at least be a few feet from the hole while putting to another hole. You can always move your ball to another putting line. It is also okay for more than one person to putt to the same practice putting green hole.

Use of the practice putting green doesn't mean you must play from one hole to another. I often putt on one hole from different locations around that hole. In 57 years of tournament(usga)and non-tournament play this is accepted and occurs all the time...even on the pga tour. You also see players putting to a tee stuck on the green.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:41 AM

Got no issue with multiple players putting towards same practice hole. Personally I prefer to putt towards a hole not guarded within a foot or two by someone putting away from that hole, who could easily move away a few feet, making the hole more accessible to others. Quoting Mandolorian, "this is the way".

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"
Old 01-03-2022, 12:22 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

It gets more interesting when people start chipping balls into other people.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:00 PM
Veteran member

I hate it when people chip onto the putting green, which can put a number of putting holes out of commission for people. If there is a chipping green, pls confine your chipping to it.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
I hate it when people chip onto the putting green, which can put a number of putting holes out of commission for people. If there is a chipping green, pls confine your chipping to it.
Which brings up another pet peeve---people who take the little pin out on the practice green, lay it down nearby, then surround it with half a dozen or so balls---as if they now "own" that hole. It's not just in TV, was out in Tuscon playing a pro-am last month and with 30 or 40 golfers on the practice green and 6 or 7 holes, there were people doing the same thing. Just another example of the ever growing and pervasive "me first" culture.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:29 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default actually nothing wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Which brings up another pet peeve---people who take the little pin out on the practice green, lay it down nearby, then surround it with half a dozen or so balls---as if they now "own" that hole. It's not just in TV, was out in Tuscon playing a pro-am last month and with 30 or 40 golfers on the practice green and 6 or 7 holes, there were people doing the same thing. Just another example of the ever growing and pervasive "me first" culture.
with this practice. happens at any club. has nothing to do with "me first" culture. those who think it does do not understand those who want to improve as opposed to those who go through the motions.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
with this practice. happens at any club. has nothing to do with "me first" culture. those who think it does do not understand those who want to improve as opposed to those who go through the motions.
really???? I think after over 1/2 century of playing golf, previously at a very high amateur level, I have a pretty good idea of the difference
Old 01-04-2022, 06:03 AM
Veteran member

Oh so terrible!
Old 01-04-2022, 07:26 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
That is not an etiquette breach. And you should specify that you are writing about practice putting greens as some exec courses have two holes.

You also see players putting to a tee stuck on the green.
I do this. I start about 3 feet out and put 2 balls to the tee. Then gradually move further away.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

I agree one hole to practice is all you need why putt every hole on the practice green ,
Closed Thread

Tags
putting, golf, hole, green, holes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.