Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndomines View Post
Plastic cups in golf holes
GET RID OF THEM
THE BALL GETS WEDGED
It’s requires you pull out the flag
More time is spent fiddling those darn things than before they were installed
ENOUGH ALREADY
If everyone who plays golf made a fuss about it maybe they would get the word out and have them removed & maybe they will put water in the ball washers as well.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatskillBill View Post
90% of the golfers left the pin in while putting before the virus since the rule change.
We're still reaching in and touching the ball, pvc, and the lower part of the flag stick.
What pi**es me off are the rings are so tall that some are just a 1/4 " below the green.
How many times have you seen the ball spin around the flag like a roulette ball and barely stay in, or spin out?
If you're so paranoid about touching the flag stick, just don't do it!
It should be up to the person putting whether to leave it in or take it out.
So, I say get rid of them already PLEASE.
I don’t agree with you about getting rid of them. I think there is a valid reason to keep them. Having said that, I think they need to be cut down so they don’t interfere with the natural path of the ball. I played a Disney course the other day and the pvc was in the cup but it is a smaller diameter and cut about an inch below the hole opening. It was a pleasure to see the ball go in as intended.

If you want this to happen here, send a note to the Golf and Tennis team. They often take suggestions. Another option is to mention it to the Golf Pro at any of the Championship courses.

Complaining doesn’t help. Suggesting alternatives does.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
Most people still touch the cup,flag, and PVC because if the ball goes in most of the time it will go between the flag and plastic insert. So it’s not helping ������
You must play with an entirely different set of people than I do, or see on the courses. No one touches the flag or the PVC, except by accident. I do agree that some of the PVC needs to be cut down a little more to stop the ball from bouncing out, but we just count the ones that do that as good.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:56 AM

That's such a "loaded" question .... is the writer implying that the Covid-19 virus is no longer a threat and we can return to normal?

Herd Immunity ... somewhere around 25% saturation ... we are now at 8% nationally (higher in Florida) .... so the writer needs to get an education. Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1701 View Post
You must play with an entirely different set of people than I do, or see on the courses. No one touches the flag or the PVC, except by accident. I do agree that some of the PVC needs to be cut down a little more to stop the ball from bouncing out, but we just count the ones that do that as good.
If you are a true golfer and count the ones that bounce out as good, and maintain a GHIN handicap, then you are cheating yourself and other golfers you play with. That is as bad as the pvc that was an inch or two above the surface. Play by the rules.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:14 AM

BTW, up North many courses are using cutdown sections of pool noodles instead of PVC rings...

Yes, the barrier should be exactly one ball diameter below the surface.. sometimes the cup isn't sunk enough by the greens crew, hence the ring isn't sunk enough....

I like the roulette wheel analogy...sounds like a very firm putt that wasn't going to sink anyways!! Ha
Old 08-12-2020, 07:38 AM

I prefer the noodles! And yes tgere is a lot of fussing and touching the base of the flag etc. they way things are now.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:44 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts
Default Herd immunity baloney

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcooper70 View Post
That's such a "loaded" question .... is the writer implying that the Covid-19 virus is no longer a threat and we can return to normal?

Herd Immunity ... somewhere around 25% saturation ... we are now at 8% nationally (higher in Florida) .... so the writer needs to get an education. Hope this helps.
If you could get herd immunity to a virus, then why does a different strain of the flu exist every year with a new vaccine that is usually only 50 percent effective? And does that not mean that people have to get the flu for the rest of the population to be immune? This is stupid!
Old 08-12-2020, 07:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

I reach in and pluck the ball out without touching the flag stick or the PVC. No problem.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:03 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I've always wondered when I saw golfers not wanting to stick their hands in the hole to retrieve their ball but had no issue with the ball rolling all over the greens in what could be residual spit? At least someone in the golf offices had enough sense to cut down the pvc so the ball would actually sit in the hole.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:10 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndomines View Post
GET RID OF THEM
THE BALL GETS WEDGED
It’s requires you pull out the flag
More time is spent fiddling those darn things than before they were installed
ENOUGH ALREADY
If everyone who plays golf made a fuss about it maybe they would get the word out and have them removed & maybe they will put water in the ball washers as well.
I never used their ball washers as they only have foul water in them. I carry my own ball and club washer.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:11 AM
Default Eye roll

I do not ever touch the flag or pvc when reaching to retrieve my ball. However, I seriously doubt that I would if the cups were returned to their pre Covid state. I don’t mind the pvc, but I also think It’s all a big nanny state over reaction - a fearful response to the the fear mongering media.
If you are so concerned about catching something that could be deadly, will you remain concerned forever about Catching the flu from a flag stick that is out in the sunshine for around 10 minutes between groups? If you will, You should have always been fearful of this. If Covid ever goes away which it may not.
And look up how long the virus lasts in the sun.....
Old 08-12-2020, 08:14 AM

I don't mind the pvc in the holes. But I do mind that they are not deep enough. I have seen many balls roll around the pin and spin out. If the pvc was at least 1 1/4 inch below the green this would not happen. Some time the hole is not cut deep enough and the pvc is only 1/2 inch below the green. I don't count a ball holed unless it stays in the cup but they should at least make the pvc more that half the ball diameter (2 1/4 inches) so that largest part of the ball hits the edge of the hole and doesn't spin out.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:50 AM

Oh, balogna. My husband and I golf 3 times a week. We have never had to pull out the pin to get a wedged ball. Use two fingers to withdraw the ball. No touching of stake at all. Until scientists know more about how Covid is spread, I’m happy to have the pvc pipes keep the ball from going so far in the hole. A small irritant for helping us get out of the house and get some exercise!! Don’t take your golf score so seriously during these trying times.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:56 AM

Wow really
Closed Thread

Tags
pvc, pipes, golf, holes, half

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.