A question for the pros of TV

Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Default A question for the pros of TV

When starting out as a newbie golfer, should one buy cheap clubs or try to find some better quality used clubs? How hard is it to find used left-handed clubs?

I went into one of the Village's golf shops and they tried to sell me a new set of cheap clubs, saying that was the best way to go until I get better at the game.

I know there are a lot of pros on here who could advise me. Also, I am in the market for some used LH clubs.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Bosoxfan

First let me say that a pro I'm not.As far as clubs go I don't think they're as important as getting lessons.Lessons will help you to understand the mechanics of a good golf swing.I wish I took some before I had the time to develop the bad habits that take so long to undo.So I'd say a cheap set of clubs to start is good.This way you can spend monies saved on clubs for lessons.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:57 AM
Veteran member

As a pro I would suggest lessons first to develop a swing. Then get fitted for a quality set of clubs. Clubs are fitted according to your swing and at least you'll get the right shaft, loft and lie. Prices are all over the mat but a good set of Adams, with a bag, I've found (in my shop actually) to be around $500. Go cheap and that's what you get. Get lessons where you can try all different clubs and it will help you improve immensely.

Which came first the chicken or the egg......

Good luck and swing easy
Old 09-10-2010, 06:05 AM
Sage

Again, no pro here, but my opinion would be to get lessons first. I would think that to be fitted for clubs you must have a reasonably repeatable swing. This is the path that my wife (pure beginner) is following when she moves to TV.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:22 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I would also get lessons and then decide on clubs. As for used clubs, I would rather see someone buy a good set of used vs a cheap set of new. E-bay has lots of used clubs at reasonable prices. You can get last years version of Cobra, Callaway, Ping or others for a couple hundred for a full set of irons with graphite shafts in really good condition. A driver, 3 wood and 5 wood can be bought for another couple hundred usually.

But take some lessons and decide on what shaft flex you need, what size club head works best for you, before you buy.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I would also get lessons and then decide on clubs. As for used clubs, I would rather see someone buy a good set of used vs a cheap set of new. E-bay has lots of used clubs at reasonable prices. You can get last years version of Cobra, Callaway, Ping or others for a couple hundred for a full set of irons with graphite shafts in really good condition. A driver, 3 wood and 5 wood can be bought for another couple hundred usually.

But take some lessons and decide on what shaft flex you need, what size club head works best for you, before you buy.
This is the best advice in this string. Follow this and you will be fine.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:43 AM

Thanks, everybody. If you're on an executive course in the near future and a group in front of you is slowing you down, I apologize in advance.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:59 AM

Forget all that, read all the latest golf mags (learn the lingo) buy the latest golf attire ( you'll loook good) get a custom golf bag (your name on it for sure) Buy impressive club covers (now you look like you know what your doing) Then of course you sit around the club house and talk alot about golf and play cards. Now this is the most inportant advise of all, NEVER, I say again NEVER take your clubs out of your bag. (it'll save you alot of fustrations) I joke it's a great game just don't take yoursef to seriouely and have fun.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Sage

Be careful buying clubs on eBay. There are a lot of counterfeit clubs there. I recently bought a club advertised as a brand new Vokey wedge. When I got it, I noticed the shaft wasn't right, the grip was installed wrong, and the markings on the head were not correct. These were subtle differences that most people wouldn't notice. The seller refused to refund my money and I reported him to eBay and Titleist. eBay refunded my money and Titleist told me they had dealt with this individual many times in the past. You might consider lessons at the Villages Golf Academy followed by getting used clubs through them as well to be certain they fit and are authentic.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I went to a golf shop with the intention to buy some custom made clubs. After a swing analysis and hitting some balls, the shop owner said I can save you a fair amount of money..............no club(s) that I can sell you will noticeably improve your game at this point....take some lessons.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
I went to a golf shop with the intention to buy some custom made clubs. After a swing analysis and hitting some balls, the shop owner said I can save you a fair amount of money..............no club(s) that I can sell you will noticeably improve your game at this point....take some lessons.
Now that is an honest businessman...was this near TV ?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
Same thing happened to me. wonder if it was the same golf shop.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I bought my last two sets of clubs on ebay. The last set last year were Cobra FP irons with Aldila graphite shafts, bought a 3 and 5 Cobra hybrid a Cobra driver speed LD offset, and matching 3 and 5 woods. Got these from 4 different sellers. All arrived in the condition stated, were not knock offs, and all cost less then a total of $450.

I have bought several things on ebay with no issues. Had one that was not quite the condition stated, and the seller offered that I could return it, he would replace it, or a discount from what I paid.

Most of the sellers are legitimate businesses that use ebay to expand their sales.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.