R.I.P., Villages Golf Festival

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2023, 03:40 PM
Veteran member
Default R.I.P., Villages Golf Festival

Sorry to see that the Villages Golf Festival is once again not being held at the Polo Grounds, with all the vendors, entertainment and clubmakers all in one place. IMO, having basic fitting stations at the various country clubs is nothing as interesting as the original festival concept. Reduced to a "non event" for me. What do you think?
Old 02-03-2023, 04:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,604 Times in 942 Posts

Just saw the flyer online, love the idea.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Sorry to see that the Villages Golf Festival is once again not being held at the Polo Grounds, with all the vendors, entertainment and clubmakers all in one place. IMO, having basic fitting stations at the various country clubs is nothing as interesting as the original festival concept. Reduced to a "non event" for me. What do you think?
That event hopefully will never return. All the Polo Ground event was good for was for people to drink free beer, hit free range balls and take time away from the fitters that actually wanted to help people get fit and buy clubs.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:00 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
That event hopefully will never return. All the Polo Ground event was good for was for people to drink free beer, hit free range balls and take time away from the fitters that actually wanted to help people get fit and buy clubs.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:41 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Golf fest

I miss it. I enjoyed trying out several sets of clubs at the same time in order to decide which ones I wanted to buy.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,295 Posts

Quote:
I'm disappointed I never was able to attend one of them. I was looking forward to it, but covid killed those plans...

I did go to one of the "tent fittings" @ Sarasota, but it felt lacking...

I guess I'll stick to going to the big box stores with a proper appointment in the future...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-04-2023, 09:44 AM
Veteran member
Default Golf Fest

I miss the freebies and the services and product showcases. I believe Junior Golf benefitted from it, so too bad for them. I figure, if it was making money for the promoter (not sure who) it would still be happening.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:40 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
I miss it. I enjoyed trying out several sets of clubs at the same time in order to decide which ones I wanted to buy.
I enjoyed it as well. Also enjoyed listening to the guest speakers. Things change.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:16 AM

Yep. A non event now. Thanks CCP.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:14 AM
Veteran member

The new Golf Festival is a joke. The event at the Polo Grounds was special and something to look forward to.

Another take away from residents. What’s next?
Old 02-05-2023, 06:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwirish View Post
The new Golf Festival is a joke. The event at the Polo Grounds was special and something to look forward to.

Another take away from residents. What’s next?
I agree. I went for many years, and enjoyed the tips from pros, and seeing the variety of golf gadgets, new equipment, clothing, etc. Going to the local pro shop is not even close to the experience we had. At the Polo grounds everything was in one place. Under the new format, if I want to check out the New Balance shoes, I have to drive to Belle Glade. Then, If I want to look at Ecco shoes, I drive all the way to Lopez. Jamie Saddock clothing is up at Bonifay. Who came up with that brilliant idea?
Old 02-05-2023, 07:05 AM
Veteran member
Angry

Quote:
Sorry you didn't enjoy the Great Golf Fest every March at the Polo Field. It was an event I looked forward to every year.

I went every year, and I don't remember getting free beer. It was a great weekend event with great speakers, famous golf pros, demos and a chance to try many different golf clubs all in one venue. You could also PAY to eat and drink at many different food tents. The merchandise tent was also a great place to get some good bargains on golf equipment. They also had great raffles with some good prizes. Another great event gone because of our size.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
I agree. I went for many years, and enjoyed the tips from pros, and seeing the variety of golf gadgets, new equipment, clothing, etc. Going to the local pro shop is not even close to the experience we had. At the Polo grounds everything was in one place. Under the new format, if I want to check out the New Balance shoes, I have to drive to Belle Glade. Then, If I want to look at Ecco shoes, I drive all the way to Lopez. Jamie Saddock clothing is up at Bonifay. Who came up with that brilliant idea?
We too miss it. Especially the guest speakers & contests
Old 02-05-2023, 08:20 AM

I use to go every year, but it seems to me, I could be wrong, it stopped when Covid hit. Than it was deminished to what it is today. Much better as a the Polo grounds event.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,604 Times in 942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I'm disappointed I never was able to attend one of them. I was looking forward to it, but covid killed those plans...

I did go to one of the "tent fittings" @ Sarasota, but it felt lacking...

I guess I'll stick to going to the big box stores with a proper appointment in the future...
I did a fitting at Sarasota, with a Taylor Made rep. It was a great experience.
BUT, I knew I wanted TM, I was duplicating the set I had at home.

If I was getting new clubs, and wanted to try different brands, to see which I liked best, I would not like it.
Closed Thread

Tags
festival, golf, villages, r.i.p, original

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.