Richmond Pitch and Putt

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2022, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Richmond Pitch and Putt

I drove by today and noticed that it's open.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-22-2022, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Active Adult 55+ Retirement Community
Old 10-23-2022, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Played this morning, with friends. Little more challenging than Marshview. Paths to next tee have signs with arrows, are not as clearly marked, as they could be. For those who have issues walking the contours between holes, and not clear paths could be a challenge.

It was fun, I always take a PW, 54, 8, and a putter to Marshview. At Richmond I might need to add a 7 iron, or just swing little harder.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:42 AM
Default Tips for Richmond Pitch and Putt

I recommend that you take your regular golf bag (rent a push cart if you don't have your own), as this is a long course and you might need more than 3 clubs in an itty-bitty bag. We walked a solid two+ hours so you definitely need to take water, your phone (you are WAY out there and there is no ambassador), your towel, and your rain gear (if you get stuck in a sudden rain, you are a half-hour walk back to your car). There is no circling back to the starter shack like there is at Marsh View; it is a very long way out and back. There are only 2 benches along the way plus more golfers right behind you so you can't stop to rest. Lots of lovely oak trees and the whole thing is beautiful.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:30 AM
Sage

The walking is a bit tougher. I have issues with my back and foot and only intended to play nine holes. I was disappointed to find that it goes out to nine and comes back in. It's a long walk from the ninth green to the parking lot so I played them all and paid the price.

I didn't think that it was any longer or more difficult than Marsh View. It's definitely a bit more challenging to walk as it has more elevation changes. And yes, the signage needs to be better. I spent about five minutes waiting for a green to clear before I realized that I was looking at the wrong green.

I don't hit it anywhere near what I sued to but I took my four wedges, 46, 50, 54, and 58 and only hit the 44 once. But that will be different for everyone. I played the back tees but several holes had much shorter options for tees.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 11-07-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-05-2022, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The walking is a bit tougher. I have issues with my back and foot and only intended to play nine holes. I was disappointed to find that it goes out to nine and comes back in. It's a long walk from the ninth green to the parking lot so I played them all and paid the price.

I didn't think that it was any longer or more difficult than Marsh View. It's definitely a bit more challenging to walk as it has more elevation changes. And yes, the signage needs to be better. I spend about five minutes waiting for a green to clear before I realized that I was looking at the wrong green.

I don't hit it anywhere near what I sued to but I took my four wedges, 44, 50, 54, and 58 and only hit the 44 once. But that will be different for everyone. I played the back tees but several holes had much shorter options for tees.
Provided players are not waiting, wonder if it is permitted to go from 6 to 16 to play 9 holes?
Old 11-05-2022, 09:02 PM
Veteran member

I played with friends the other day. The distances aren't any longer than at Marsh Bend, so I don't see the need for more clubs. There are more holes that carry longer water, so you might want to bring extra balls. Those that do carry that water do have alternate spots to tee off from but they are sometimes hard to see from the "first" tees (unlike Marsh Bend, they don't have markers sticking out of the ground). I agree that the signage to the next holes is a bit less obvious and it is definitely a longer walk between holes for a number of them. I enjoyed it as much as I enjoy Marsh Bend. Both are great ways to work on your short game.

As I have seen on Marsh Bend, I saw some groups with absolutely new-to-the-game beginners playing on Richmond. Sure, these courses are way shorter than the Executive courses, but the greens are generally smaller and the fairways substantially narrower than the Executive courses I've played. I don't see these as "beginner" courses. If you want wide fairways, beginners might even want to try the Championship courses, though they'd have to pay more to play and would have to hit a LOT of fairway shots. I'd rather see them stick with the level 1 Executive courses like Sarasota. I think they would be less intimidated by the game. And I want more people to enjoy this past time, not less. At some point, a generation of folks is going to move into The Villages who has little or no interest in this great game. Not sure what we'll use the space for. It's so important for water management that we have to keep it but what else takes that much pasture? Hey, maybe they'll extend the "Villages Grown" concept to raising cattle, as this land was once used for! I ought to start a rumor to that effect...
Old 11-06-2022, 02:10 PM

Not sure I understand the “logic?” of routing hole 9 at farthest part from the starter shack. Also, will there eventually be refreshments, etc a la Marsh Bend food trucks, etc?
Old 11-06-2022, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A Paul View Post
Not sure I understand the “logic?” of routing hole 9 at farthest part from the starter shack. Also, will there eventually be refreshments, etc a la Marsh Bend food trucks, etc?
It’s a tiny parking lot. Every time we drive by the golf cart parking is full, and overflow is parking in car parking. There were only 7 spots left to park today. Edna’s has set space for food trucks, Richmond does have a space at this time. One can run over to Sawgrass in 15 minutes or so from Pitch and Putt
Old 11-06-2022, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
It’s a tiny parking lot. Every time we drive by the golf cart parking is full, and overflow is parking in car parking. There were only 7 spots left to park today. Edna’s has set space for food trucks, Richmond does have a space at this time. One can run over to Sawgrass in 15 minutes or so from Pitch and Putt
A restaurant is planned across the street next to the rec center on the lake.

Edna's and Brownwood are 10 min away.

Last edited by Altavia; 11-06-2022 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
A restaurant is planned across the street next to the rec center on the lake.

Edna's and Brownwood are 10 min away.
Harry and the Natives. HarryandtheNatives...

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 11-07-2022, 12:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Provided players are not waiting, wonder if it is permitted to go from 6 to 16 to play 9 holes?
It shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't cut in front of anyone and hold them up. I worked at a golf course like this at one time and we had what we called the "inside nine" The fifth green and fifteenth tee were fairly close to one another.

Old 11-07-2022, 12:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
I played with friends the other day. The distances aren't any longer than at Marsh Bend, so I don't see the need for more clubs. There are more holes that carry longer water, so you might want to bring extra balls. Those that do carry that water do have alternate spots to tee off from but they are sometimes hard to see from the "first" tees (unlike Marsh Bend, they don't have markers sticking out of the ground). I agree that the signage to the next holes is a bit less obvious and it is definitely a longer walk between holes for a number of them. I enjoyed it as much as I enjoy Marsh Bend. Both are great ways to work on your short game.

As I have seen on Marsh Bend, I saw some groups with absolutely new-to-the-game beginners playing on Richmond. Sure, these courses are way shorter than the Executive courses, but the greens are generally smaller and the fairways substantially narrower than the Executive courses I've played. I don't see these as "beginner" courses. If you want wide fairways, beginners might even want to try the Championship courses, though they'd have to pay more to play and would have to hit a LOT of fairway shots. I'd rather see them stick with the level 1 Executive courses like Sarasota. I think they would be less intimidated by the game. And I want more people to enjoy this past time, not less. At some point, a generation of folks is going to move into The Villages who has little or no interest in this great game. Not sure what we'll use the space for. It's so important for water management that we have to keep it but what else takes that much pasture? Hey, maybe they'll extend the "Villages Grown" concept to raising cattle, as this land was once used for! I ought to start a rumor to that effect...
Fairways????? This is supposed to be pitch and putt. The par on all of these holes should be 2.

Of course a few of them are actually short par threes so perhaps they shouldn't be called pitch and putt. Pitch and putt courses that I've seen in the past haven't had holes any more than 50 yards.

But in any case no one should be worried about or even looking for fairways. Tees, greens, aprons, fringes and rough should be everything.

Closed Thread

Tags
richmond, pitch, putt, drove, today

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.