Sand trap & Rakes

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2016, 08:13 AM
Default Sand trap & Rakes

Went golfing Friday with some friends. My girlfriend hit into a sand trap and as she took the rake to her ball the ambassador drove up and explained to her how to put the rake back when she was done. We couldn't believe that he would interrupt her game, to explain something she knew. I'm sure he wouldn't have done this to a man. If there was a problem setting rakes, I think we all should have been told this when we checked in. He should have stayed on the cart path and observed, and if the rake was placed wrong, then said something.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:26 AM
Email Reported As Spam

But how does the ambassador know what your girl knows? Haven't you played enough golf here to see why an ambassador would remind people about proper placement of rakes? Haven't you noticed the number of divots on the greens that so called knowing people ought to have known to repair?

Personally I am glad this ambassador took the time to educate. We need more ambassador contact to provide gentle reminders to golfers of golf course etiquette and ready play because frankly some folks are just plain clueless or rude.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:36 AM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

OMG. Nothing but complaining in such a beautiful place. Stop and enjoy yourself. Good for the ambassador to remind someone of the proper placement of rake. If the ambassadors don't do anything people complain, if they do something people complain.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

What are you hoping to accomplish? I support the ambassadors, and wish more could be done to keep our courses in good playing condition. Yes, it is a little irritating when one of them approaches you with some gentle coaching. But try to understand what their side must be like.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:49 AM
Sage

I think he is trying to fire people up. We're pretty predictable.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:21 AM

I support the ambassadors too, but they should know, that you should not interrupt play. He should have waited to see where she put the rake and then corrected her if need be. This was a complaint, not complaining. Enough said.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
But how does the ambassador know what your girl knows? Haven't you played enough golf here to see why an ambassador would remind people about proper placement of rakes? Haven't you noticed the number of divots on the greens that so called knowing people ought to have known to repair?

Personally I am glad this ambassador took the time to educate. We need more ambassador contact to provide gentle reminders to golfers of golf course etiquette and ready play because frankly some folks are just plain clueless or rude.
I hope the ambassador also instructs golfers how to properly dispose of their cigarette and cigar butts . Instead of leaving them on the tee boxes and thrown in the sand traps
Old 01-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Maybe he just wanted to get a closer look....
Old 01-10-2016, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGirl View Post
Went golfing Friday with some friends. My girlfriend hit into a sand trap and as she took the rake to her ball the ambassador drove up and explained to her how to put the rake back when she was done. We couldn't believe that he would interrupt her game, to explain something she knew. I'm sure he wouldn't have done this to a man. If there was a problem setting rakes, I think we all should have been told this when we checked in. He should have stayed on the cart path and observed, and if the rake was placed wrong, then said something.
Unless she was leading the US Open by 3 shots, I don't see how this could be viewed as an "interruption" that would affect her play. The ambassadors get enough grief, they certainly don't need this. It would be different if started his comment at the top of her backswing. BTW, maybe your friend knew it, but you would surprised at how many don't. I live on a course and I am continually amazed at the lack of respect shown for some pretty decent courses. Some leave rakes in the trap, some outside, some with tines pointing up, some toss it into the middle of the trap---and then there's the 30% that don't feel they should have to rake at all----they're the same ones hacking through a protected wetland area looking for a $2 golf ball, don't repair pitch marks on green or fill fairway divots, and my pet peeve---sticking their putter head into the hole to flip the ball out---just look at the condition of the hole margins sometime. If it were up to me, I'd put a body cam on all these people and a dash cam on ambassadors carts. Sure, everyone is out to have fun at golf, but that doesn't mean you have to leave devastation in your wake.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGirl View Post
I support the ambassadors too, but they should know, that you should not interrupt play. He should have waited to see where she put the rake and then corrected her if need be. This was a complaint, not complaining. Enough said.

MnGirl, had your companion been in the sand before on that round? And perhaps not placed the rake where it should be?

It is unusual, but not disturbing. Why would the fact that she is female be a factor? I have golfed for over forty years and the Marshal's would marshal both sexes if they needed it. We need MORE marshaling here but the ambassadors hands are tied.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
I hope the ambassador also instructs golfers how to properly dispose of their cigarette and cigar butts . Instead of leaving them on the tee boxes and thrown in the sand traps
Or worse yet, a cigar butt on the green. Hard to know if it is a crane turd or coyote poop
Old 01-10-2016, 10:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The condition of bunkers and greens is so bad on the exec courses that I now roll or place the ball after almost every shot. I personally know of no one who keeps a handicap on these courses, so why not end the frustrations and place the ball in a reasonable , playable location and end( some of) my frustrations. I do however rake and fix 2 or 3 ballmarks on each hole.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We need MORE marshaling here but the ambassadors hands are tied.
That's why it's important to put the rakes back for them.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
That's why it's important to put the rakes back for them.

When I meet you in person Tomwed, I am going to bop you upsidethehead before I hug you.

Who do you credit, (or blame) for your sense of humor?
Old 01-10-2016, 10:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

My 2cents:

At every (esp Exec) Starter House window - post a short Top Ten list of etiquette/rules. Easy to read and to the point - esp pace of play etc.

We've been in TV for 2 years now and still get confused where to turn in for particular Starter Houses for courses. Why can't TV have small street signs at the entrance (from the main St) for each course with their name? They could be very attractive, helpful, and Market all the avail courses to visitors/potential TV buyers.

We find most Ambassadors very cordial - some pointing out pace of play etc. My favorite was yesterday on Bonita Pass - after teeing off on #2, he stopped us on the path pulling up to the green "Hey you can't get a hole-in-one here - someone already did this morning". He saw my drive to 14" from the hole... I laughed, and yes, made the birdie...

Tags
rake, rakes, sand, trap, man, problem, path, told, checked, cart, observed, stayed, wrong, setting, hit, girlfriend, friends, golfing, friday, ball, ambassador, interrupt, game, explain, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.