Short Game Practice

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2018, 08:19 AM
Default Short Game Practice

Looking for opinions on best facility in TV to practice the short game. Thx Tim
Old 07-28-2018, 08:31 AM
Sage

What part of town do you live in? If Sarasota is close----I would go there. It's across the street south of the driving range.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:38 AM
Sage

I like Cane Garden, Palmer and Sarasota.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:47 AM
Sage

I have not given Sarasota much of a try , so will do that. I do not practice putt, so that is not part of my thinking.

I only have spent time on two...

IMO

Bonifay offers the most variety of shots with different slopes and the pitching area is huge. Next is...
Cane, seems a bit quieter, but it lacks the variety of shots
Old 07-28-2018, 09:33 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I think Sarasota has the best short game practice area in the Villages. Wish we had one north of 466 that compares to it.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I have not given Sarasota much of a try , so will do that. I do not practice putt, so that is not part of my thinking.

I only have spent time on two...

IMO

Bonifay offers the most variety of shots with different slopes and the pitching area is huge. Next is...
Cane, seems a bit quieter, but it lacks the variety of shots
I would agree regarding the small practice area by the pro shop/Hibiscus starter, but the much larger area near the Jacaranda starter shack...is hard to beat.

The only thing lacking at Cane is a bunker area, which for an all-around practice area...Glenview should be in the conversation.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:43 AM
Sage

Phil Michelson went from 83 to 8 in sand saves in one year. Using statistics he found that 90% of his sand shots were 10 yards long. So 90% of the time he just practices 10 yard sand shots. He also believes that when you practice sand shots it also improves other parts of your game including the long game. If you are struggling in the short game go to youtube and search for Michelson Short Game. His advice is easy to remember and quite practical. He doesn't offer much advice on the long game. At least I couldn't find it.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Phil Michelson went from 83 to 8 in sand saves in one year. Using statistics he found that 90% of his sand shots were 10 yards long. So 90% of the time he just practices 10 yard sand shots. He also believes that when you practice sand shots it also improves other parts of your game including the long game. If you are struggling in the short game go to youtube and search for Michelson Short Game. His advice is easy to remember and quite practical. He doesn't offer much advice on the long game. At least I couldn't find it.
The problem with following any of Phil's advice, short game or long game, is the fact....that he stands on the wrong side of the ball.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Sarasota is very nice. North of 466 I like Glenview.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I would agree regarding the small practice area by the pro shop/Hibiscus starter, but the much larger area near the Jacaranda starter shack...is hard to beat.

The only thing lacking at Cane is a bunker area, which for an all-around practice area...Glenview should be in the conversation.
I should have been clearer. I did mean area by Jacaranda. I enjoy Cane, but I still would go to Bonifay for a more serious session working on different lies and types of shots (JMO). Matters little now as I hurt my wrist and cannot play at all. Wish I could practice anywhere!

When I look at houses by Jacaranda practice area, I always tell my wife that one of these houses I would love to own. Who cares about golf course view, but a short walk to practice area? Before dinner alone or with friends, 'honey headed out to putt/chip' for a bit.

Last edited by ajbrown; 07-28-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I should have been clearer. I did mean area by Jacaranda. I enjoy Cane, but I still would go to Bonifay for a more serious session working on different lies and types of shots (JMO). Matters little now as I hurt my wrist and cannot play at all. Wish I could practice anywhere!

When I look at houses by Jacaranda practice area, I always tell my wife that one of these houses I would love to own. Who cares about golf course view, but a short walk to practice area? Before dinner alone or with friends, 'honey headed out to putt/chip' for a bit.
Gotcha.

I previously owned a home in a private golf course development and had about a 3 minute walk to the driving range/practice area...but pretty much quit using it after the novelty (for me) wore off.

My problem was that after about 10 minutes, I just wanted to go tee it up...and play the course!

Then there were the couple of times the old heart rate was off the charts, due to a few flop shots with an opened 60 degree wedge, while making a hard full swing...that were hit just a tad bit thin.

Thank goodness that no cars driving by, or nearby expensive homes were hurt...while exercising my 'Inner Phil.'
Old 07-29-2018, 10:07 AM

Tried Bonifay -- it is very good for wedge practice. Most places seem to have the "knee-high" chipping restriction. Glenview is much closer for me and I have used the range there many times but never realized they had a short game practice area. Will give that a try! Thanks!
Old 07-30-2018, 07:40 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Also good practice on the executive courses playing the ball down and playing forward. At times I aim for the sand traps for practice. Sandy pars are worth a dollar!
Closed Thread

Tags
short, practice, game, thx, tim

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.