Silver Lake Golf Course

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2020, 09:39 PM
Sage

I agree Silver Lake should be updated rather than converted to a pitch and putt. There are only 2 executive courses on the historic side and conversion would leave only one. I can’t see enough value in a pitch and putt to make it worth more than double updating the existing course.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:00 AM

Where is the new rec center going? I’m a little out of touch.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:40 AM
Default Silver Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBoy451 View Post
Have any of you all heard any rumors or speculation of the Silver Lake golf course being converted into a pitch and putt facility? Just looking for more information as I've only over heard. Silver lake is the oldest executive course in the villages.
Yes there is a petition on tee box #6 and a very important meeting at the Savannah Center June 10th 9am to meet with the committee planning.
you would like to make your wishes known. The person representing our area is Lowell Barker. The Chairmans name is Ann Forrester and the Vice Chairman is John Wilcox.

Ann Forrester (District 2) Chair ann.forrester@districtgov.org 352-259-3339

John Wilcox (District 3) Vice Chair john.wilcox@districtgov.org 352-259-1716

IV Chandler (VCCDD) iv.chandler@districtgov.org 352-753-6790

Carl Bell (District 1) carl.bell@districtgov.org 352-750-1251

Don Deakin (District 4) don.deakin@districtgov.org 352-750-5395

Lowell Barker (Lady Lake/Lake County) lowell.barker@districtgov.org 352-205-8140
Old 05-17-2020, 07:27 AM

Agree....and add a bathroom facility at a half way point
Old 05-17-2020, 07:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

I personally would love to see Silver Lake become a pitch and putt. Putting is my favorite part of golfing, and I think a lot of people on this thread are underestimating the usefulness of putting practice.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:11 AM

Put me down for a refurb!
Old 05-17-2020, 08:21 AM
Veteran member

I can see why they would consider Silver Lake for a pitch and putt, it has the acreage for 18 short holes. For beginners the lack of sand is a plus, the length is a minus.

Even our household is divided on this one. I like Silver Lake as an executive course, my husband would love to walk it as a pitch and putt. He loves playing Marshview but doesn’t like the drive.

I’m wondering if a pitch and putt on the north side will be any more popular than Marshview. It seems to be the last course to fill up.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
If I had seen this post earlier I would have been the first to disagree with converting to a pitch and putt. Silver Lake is a nice layout that needs an updating. Per the article in the paper the cost of converting to a pitch and putt was $1 million plus. The cost of the update was $500k. The executive courses are getting more play. We do not need to be reducing the number of courses available. As mentioned, a pitch and putt is planned for the new recreation center. Although the new recreation center is going to be at the north end of TV, it will be more accessible than Silver Lake.
The new First Responders Recreation Center is getting an 18 hole Putt and Play, not a Pitch and Putt. Putters only, no pitching or chipping.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:44 AM
Default Survey of the residents coming up

I was at the Amenity Authority Committee where this was first raised. As the oldest executive course, it is (over)due for a renovation. Options presented to the committee were for a renovation as an executive course (around $500K), conversion to a pitch and play (a little under a million), or a conversion to a pitch and play plus adding a putt and play (something over a million).
Members of the committee were sensitive to the fact that there is only one other executive course on the historic side and it is taxed. The did not want to even consider anything other than a renovation without some sort of survey of the residents in the area. I don't recall what the nature of the survey would be. In any event, there will be further discussion at the next AAC meeting (second Wednesday in June, 9 AM, at the Savannah Center).
Note that given the current condition of the course at a minimum a reno will happen. Any of the options will require the course to be closed for (as recall them saying) 4 months.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshoberg View Post
Agree....and add a bathroom facility at a half way point
Silver Lake does have a bathroom adjacent to holes 4 and 5. I've seldom had to go in the bushes.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattan View Post
Yes there is a petition on tee box #6 and a very important meeting at the Savannah Center June 10th 9am to meet with the committee planning.
you would like to make your wishes known. The person representing our area is Lowell Barker. The Chairmans name is Ann Forrester and the Vice Chairman is John Wilcox.

Lowell Barker (Lady Lake/Lake County) lowell.barker@districtgov.org 352-205-8140
Thanks for the information
Old 05-17-2020, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for posting this information, I can’t be at the meeting, but I am going to send an e-mail to the contacts listed urging them to keep Silver Lake an executive course.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I'd like to see the whole thing buried and a new 9 hole executive course built.
Silver Lake is horribly designed and never is decent condition. I will say that at times the greens at Silver Lake have been some of the best in The Village. However, the rest of the golf course is deplorable.

Instead of whoever the inside person is that designs these courses, The Villages should hire a good golf course architect to design a nice exec course on that site.

It's not just the routing that is a problem, which it is. A course designed by a professional architect will be easier to maintain.

Most people don't realize that about 70% of a golf course is underground. That is the part that allows it to be in god condition. Irrigation, drainage and soil composition are very important to a golf course. That is one of the reasons that some many of the older courses are in terrible condition. They simply were not built correctly.

The Villages just spent a lot of money redoing the second fairway at Silver Lake and it is still horrendous. It needs to be torn up and rebuilt from two feet down. The same with the ninth green at Hilltop. The hole is not only poorly designed from a playing standpoint, but tens of thousands of dollars have been spent over the year resurfacing that green. The problem is not with the surface. It's what below.

What is surprising to me is that The Villages does such a wonderful job with everything else. The beautiful flowers everywhere, the town squares are immaculate, most of the road and golf cart paths are beautiful, and the grass everywhere looks perfect. But it is incompetent at building and maintaining golf courses. You would think that a company that advertises "Free Golf for Life" it would be more interested in maintaining those courses like it maintains everything else.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Would make sense as the only other P&P is down South in the new area. Nice upgrade idea for the North.
Upgrade? A pitch and put would be an upgrade, I think not!
Old 05-17-2020, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:

And will all be a show and a waste of time.

When they redid the Silver Lake Rec center petitions were passed around, letters were written, a meeting was held and they did just the opposite of what the majority wanted.

These people have their own ideas and don't care about input from the residents.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
silver, lake, golf, heard, information

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.