Silver Lake Golf Course

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2020, 10:26 AM
Default Silver Lake Golf Course

Have any of you all heard any rumors or speculation of the Silver Lake golf course being converted into a pitch and putt facility? Just looking for more information as I've only over heard. Silver lake is the oldest executive course in the villages.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:47 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBoy451 View Post
Have any of you all heard any rumors or speculation of the Silver Lake golf course being converted into a pitch and putt facility? Just looking for more information as I've only over heard. Silver lake is the oldest executive course in the villages.
Would make sense as the only other P&P is down South in the new area. Nice upgrade idea for the North.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:57 AM
Gold member

It was in the paper that it's being considered.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:59 AM

There is one planned for at the new First Responders recreation center. I'm not for removing Silver Lake. It's nice for all levels of golfers, has no bunkers, some waste area bunkers. It almost never floods out due to heavy rains. Tee times are getting harder to get with our growing population. I would much rather see El Santiago or Hawke's Bay be converted to a pitch and putt since they would be more central to villages north of 466.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:25 AM
Gold member

Took 4 whole posts before someone "didn't agree" with it.

Those who took the 3 on the over/under bet wins.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:46 PM
Platinum member

If I had seen this post earlier I would have been the first to disagree with converting to a pitch and putt. Silver Lake is a nice layout that needs an updating. Per the article in the paper the cost of converting to a pitch and putt was $1 million plus. The cost of the update was $500k. The executive courses are getting more play. We do not need to be reducing the number of courses available. As mentioned, a pitch and putt is planned for the new recreation center. Although the new recreation center is going to be at the north end of TV, it will be more accessible than Silver Lake.

There is a group on the Nextdoor Neighbors that is starting a petition drive to present to the AAC to keep Silver Lake as an Executive course with updates.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

Is there really a need for a pitch and putt to replace that course?
My wife and I regularly walked the Hogeye Preserve Pathway and the Pitch and Putt has always seemed most under supported.
Some days the place has hardly a player out there.
Yet I have never seen an executive course less than full, unless raining, or very cold, and then there are hardy souls still playing.
JMTP
Old 05-16-2020, 01:24 PM

We heard that last week when we golfed at Silver Lake. There is a petition circulating and an upcoming meeting for residents to voice their opinion.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Would prefer if they reconfigured some holes to make it less of a shooting gallery.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:16 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Make it an 18 hole pitch and putt and there will be no carts allowed, which means that will leave a lot of local residents that will not be able to use it. You have to realize that most of the residents here don't play anything else but Silver Lake and it is always packed, even in the condition it's in. I would like to see the course refurbished. A pitch and putt on this side will never fly. Chula Vista would be a better place for the pitch and putt in my opinion.
There's an AAC meeting about this at the Savannah Center on June 10th at 9AM if anyone wants to attend, I'll be there
Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 05-16-2020 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Make it an 18 hole pitch and putt and there will be no carts allowed, which means that will leave a lot of local residents that will not be able to use it. You have to realize that most of the residents here don't play anything else but Silver Lake and it is always packed, even in the condition it's in. I would like to see the course refurbished. A pitch and putt on this side will never fly. Chula Vista would be a better place for the pitch and putt in my opinion.
There's an AAC meeting about this at the Savannah Center on June 10th at 9AM if anyone wants to attend, I'll be there
Steve

I would hope to see it refurbished to include an improvement between the fairways of holes 2 and 8 getting rid if the waste sand patch. I plan to attend the meeting as well.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:13 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
A pitch and putt on this side will never fly.
Steve
This is why the other argument that The Villages ignores the north side is weak. No matter if they do or do not do something that matches the newer area, half of the people hate it, and the other half like it. No wonder The Villages don't solicit votes. It would be worse than Congress.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
This is why the other argument that The Villages ignores the north side is weak. No matter if they do or do not do something that matches the newer area, half of the people hate it, and the other half like it. No wonder The Villages don't solicit votes. It would be worse than Congress.
From a quick survey of the post here, only one appears to be in favor of a pitch and putt. The others prefer to leave as an executive course with updating. That is 6 against versus 1 for. Not quite “half”.

From what I hear and read, the pitch and putt in Fenney is underutilized. Not many seniors are going to be out walking the course when is hot. There is already a pitch and putt planned for the new rec center. There is no need for two north of 466.

I am making the assumption that you are using “The Villages” as a generic term. It will be the AAC that will make any decisions regarding Silver Lake. They very much listen to the input of the residents.

Lastly, I live in Santiago and Silver Lake is long cart ride. I can’t see someone from Buttonwood saying “Honey, let’s drive 45 minutes up to Silver Lake to walk a pitch and putt”. Just me...
Old 05-16-2020, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

Very disappointed that the powers that be would even consider converting Silver Lake to anything but a renovated 9 hole executive course. It is our go to executive golf course. Living North of 466 has very many advantages over other areas of the Villages, but executive golf is not one of them. The courses are few and far between and not nearly as nice as the courses south of 466. Not the fault of the developers, Championship Golf was the selling point when that part of the Villages was developed.

During our home search in the Villages, we rented a beautiful manufactured home on Paradise Lake, very close to Silver Lake, and it quickly became my wife's favorite course. It is the original executive course in the bubble. We still play both Silver Lake and Hill Top (both in the Historic Section) frequently. Converting it to a glorified miniature golf course would be nothing short of a major sin. Why in the world they would even consider converting the golf course into a glorified miniature golf course, for a cost of over a million dollars, is beyond me. The other option is to upgrade Siver Lake and keep it as an executive course, for around a half a million. Is it even worth considering the million dollar plus option? Please keep Silver Lake as an executive golf corse : )
Old 05-16-2020, 08:25 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Very disappointed that the powers that be would even consider converting Silver Lake to anything but a renovated 9 hole executive course. It is our go to executive golf course. Living North of 466 has very many advantages over other areas of the Villages, but executive golf is not one of them. The courses are few and far between and not nearly as nice as the courses south of 466. Not the fault of the developers, Championship Golf was the selling point when that part of the Villages was developed.

During our home search in the Villages, we rented a beautiful manufactured home on Paradise Lake, very close to Silver Lake, and it quickly became my wife's favorite course. It is the original executive course in the bubble. We still play both Silver Lake and Hill Top (both in the Historic Section) frequently. Converting it to a glorified miniature golf course would be nothing short of a major sin. Why in the world they would even consider converting the golf course into a glorified miniature golf course, for a cost of over a million dollars, is beyond me. The other option is to upgrade Siver Lake and keep it as an executive course, for around a half a million. Is it even worth considering the million dollar plus option? Please keep Silver Lake as an executive golf corse : )
The more people that swamp the Savannah Center on the 10th for the AAC meeting the better
Steve
Closed Thread

Tags
silver, lake, golf, heard, information

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.