Silver Lake Golf Course

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Very disappointed that the powers that be would even consider converting Silver Lake to anything but a renovated 9 hole executive course. It is our go to executive golf course. Living North of 466 has very many advantages over other areas of the Villages, but executive golf is not one of them. The courses are few and far between and not nearly as nice as the courses south of 466. Not the fault of the developers, Championship Golf was the selling point when that part of the Villages was developed.

During our home search in the Villages, we rented a beautiful manufactured home on Paradise Lake, very close to Silver Lake, and it quickly became my wife's favorite course. It is the original executive course in the bubble. We still play both Silver Lake and Hill Top (both in the Historic Section) frequently. Converting it to a glorified miniature golf course would be nothing short of a major sin. Why in the world they would even consider converting the golf course into a glorified miniature golf course, for a cost of over a million dollars, is beyond me. The other option is to upgrade Siver Lake and keep it as an executive course, for around a half a million. Is it even worth considering the million dollar plus option? Please keep Silver Lake as an executive golf corse : )
I read somewhere Hilltop started as a practice facility before it became Hilltop prior to around 1975, maybe? I've been seeking pictures of it for my own curious nature.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:20 AM

I hate the Pitch and Putt in the south! No shade you can use 3 clubs the whole round. I had a miserable time. We quit after 9!
Old 05-17-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlbonivich View Post
I hate the Pitch and Putt in the south! No shade you can use 3 clubs the whole round. I had a miserable time. We quit after 9!
If I remember right you have to walk to it regardless if you take golf cart or car because there is no parking.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBoy451 View Post
If I remember right you have to walk to it regardless if you take golf cart or car because there is no parking.
No. It is the Putting Course that you have a short walk too.
Pitch and Putt has plenty of parking by the food trailers.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:52 PM

I thought El Santiago Excitative Golf Course was already "Pitch and Putt" why would we need another one north of 466…
I guarantee those in favor of Silver Lake converting into a Pitch and Putt are South of 441….
I’m in for the renovation of the golf course with a few can't putt out of bunkers included on most of the holes...
OK then if they want to change Silver Lake how about changing Bacall Executive Golf Course into Driving Range or Arnold Palmer Championship Golf Course into a Sand Bunker practice hitting field, even better how about The Yankee Clipper into a Frisbee throwing golf course, where does it stop!
Old 05-17-2020, 03:37 PM

It is being considered and I think they should do it. There is a lot of call for a Pitch & Play and/or a Putt & Play or both but there is no room north of Hwy 466. Besides that, Silver Lake Golf Course is a very dangerous course, as is Hill Top. The holes are too close to each other for those many many, people who really don't know how to play a par 3 course and can't hit every green. There are too many cases where you can get hit in the head by errant golfers from other holes coming and going. This would be a much better use of that land.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Have any of you all heard any rumors or speculation of the Silver Lake golf course being converted into a pitch and putt facility? Just looking for more information as I've only over heard. Silver lake is the oldest executive course in the villages.
It is a nice course.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:40 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry8bal View Post
It is being considered and I think they should do it. There is a lot of call for a Pitch & Play and/or a Putt & Play or both but there is no room north of Hwy 466. Besides that, Silver Lake Golf Course is a very dangerous course, as is Hill Top. The holes are too close to each other for those many many, people who really don't know how to play a par 3 course and can't hit every green. There are too many cases where you can get hit in the head by errant golfers from other holes coming and going. This would be a much better use of that land.
hogwash
Old 05-18-2020, 07:25 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Hopefully this will NOT happen.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
No. It is the Putting Course that you have a short walk too.
Pitch and Putt has plenty of parking by the food trailers.
Ah, Ok. thanks.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:16 PM
Default No converting Silver Lake

You can contact Bill Schikora email: cddschikora@gmail.com he represents District 2 and you can send your comments to him so he can pass them on. You can get on his email list so you can receive information regarding issues in The Villages.
I personally think this is a dumb idea. It's difficult enough to get a tee time and now they are considering doing away with one of the courses.
We are facing raising taxes and now they want to put in a pitch and putt that cost almost 2 to 3 times what it would cost to fix the golf course. This is exactly why we are facing raising taxes. Poor decision regarding the finances, facilities and what is truly wanted or needed to maintain why most of us moved here.
A pitch and putt is nice and if that is something you or your visitors want you can drive to Fenney.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Have any of you all heard any rumors or speculation of the Silver Lake golf course being converted into a pitch and putt facility? Just looking for more information as I've only over heard. Silver lake is the oldest executive course in the villages.
The AAC is doing a formal survey of the issue at this link:
Silver Lake Golf Course Renovation Questionnaire Survey
Old 05-18-2020, 01:49 PM

Resident preferences are being requested, make your voice heard online if you prefer.

Silver Lake Executive Golf Course Survey
At the May 6, 2020 meeting, the Amenity Authority Committee (AAC) authorized staff to develop a survey soliciting resident input in the renovation of the Silver Lake Executive Golf Course. To complete the Silver Lake Executive Golf Course Survey, click on the following link- Silver Lake Survey.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunFun View Post
You can contact Bill Schikora email: cddschikora@gmail.com he represents District 2 and you can send your comments to him so he can pass them on. You can get on his email list so you can receive information regarding issues in The Villages.
I personally think this is a dumb idea. It's difficult enough to get a tee time and now they are considering doing away with one of the courses.
We are facing raising taxes and now they want to put in a pitch and putt that cost almost 2 to 3 times what it would cost to fix the golf course. This is exactly why we are facing raising taxes. Poor decision regarding the finances, facilities and what is truly wanted or needed to maintain why most of us moved here.
A pitch and putt is nice and if that is something you or your visitors want you can drive to Fenney.
I agree. With the growing number of residents and rotation of course maintenance shutdowns especially at high season some don't get the tee times to play as often as they want.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:52 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom53 View Post
Resident preferences are being requested, make your voice heard online if you prefer.

Silver Lake Executive Golf Course Survey
At the May 6, 2020 meeting, the Amenity Authority Committee (AAC) authorized staff to develop a survey soliciting resident input in the renovation of the Silver Lake Executive Golf Course. To complete the Silver Lake Executive Golf Course Survey, click on the following link- Silver Lake Survey.
Thanks. Will fill this out asap.
Closed Thread

Tags
silver, lake, golf, heard, information

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.