Silver Lake Golf Course

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 05-17-2020, 08:55 AM
BamaBoy451 BamaBoy451 is offline
Member
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hacienda Hills
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 67 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Very disappointed that the powers that be would even consider converting Silver Lake to anything but a renovated 9 hole executive course. It is our go to executive golf course. Living North of 466 has very many advantages over other areas of the Villages, but executive golf is not one of them. The courses are few and far between and not nearly as nice as the courses south of 466. Not the fault of the developers, Championship Golf was the selling point when that part of the Villages was developed.

During our home search in the Villages, we rented a beautiful manufactured home on Paradise Lake, very close to Silver Lake, and it quickly became my wife's favorite course. It is the original executive course in the bubble. We still play both Silver Lake and Hill Top (both in the Historic Section) frequently. Converting it to a glorified miniature golf course would be nothing short of a major sin. Why in the world they would even consider converting the golf course into a glorified miniature golf course, for a cost of over a million dollars, is beyond me. The other option is to upgrade Siver Lake and keep it as an executive course, for around a half a million. Is it even worth considering the million dollar plus option? Please keep Silver Lake as an executive golf corse : )
I read somewhere Hilltop started as a practice facility before it became Hilltop prior to around 1975, maybe? I've been seeking pictures of it for my own curious nature.
  #32  
Old 05-17-2020, 09:20 AM
Dlbonivich Dlbonivich is offline
Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 85
Thanks: 5
Thanked 78 Times in 35 Posts
Default

I hate the Pitch and Putt in the south! No shade you can use 3 clubs the whole round. I had a miserable time. We quit after 9!
  #33  
Old 05-17-2020, 12:24 PM
BamaBoy451 BamaBoy451 is offline
Member
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hacienda Hills
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 67 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlbonivich View Post
I hate the Pitch and Putt in the south! No shade you can use 3 clubs the whole round. I had a miserable time. We quit after 9!
If I remember right you have to walk to it regardless if you take golf cart or car because there is no parking.
  #34  
Old 05-17-2020, 01:47 PM
Two Bills Two Bills is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,826
Thanks: 315
Thanked 1,503 Times in 556 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBoy451 View Post
If I remember right you have to walk to it regardless if you take golf cart or car because there is no parking.
No. It is the Putting Course that you have a short walk too.
Pitch and Putt has plenty of parking by the food trailers.
  #35  
Old 05-17-2020, 02:52 PM
Marvic 1's Avatar
Marvic 1 Marvic 1 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 300
Thanks: 130
Thanked 325 Times in 138 Posts
Default

I thought El Santiago Excitative Golf Course was already "Pitch and Putt" why would we need another one north of 466…
I guarantee those in favor of Silver Lake converting into a Pitch and Putt are South of 441….
I’m in for the renovation of the golf course with a few can't putt out of bunkers included on most of the holes...
OK then if they want to change Silver Lake how about changing Bacall Executive Golf Course into Driving Range or Arnold Palmer Championship Golf Course into a Sand Bunker practice hitting field, even better how about The Yankee Clipper into a Frisbee throwing golf course, where does it stop!
  #36  
Old 05-17-2020, 03:37 PM
Sherry8bal Sherry8bal is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 22
Thanks: 26
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default

It is being considered and I think they should do it. There is a lot of call for a Pitch & Play and/or a Putt & Play or both but there is no room north of Hwy 466. Besides that, Silver Lake Golf Course is a very dangerous course, as is Hill Top. The holes are too close to each other for those many many, people who really don't know how to play a par 3 course and can't hit every green. There are too many cases where you can get hit in the head by errant golfers from other holes coming and going. This would be a much better use of that land.
  #37  
Old 05-17-2020, 03:41 PM
RonI46 RonI46 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBoy451 View Post
Have any of you all heard any rumors or speculation of the Silver Lake golf course being converted into a pitch and putt facility? Just looking for more information as I've only over heard. Silver lake is the oldest executive course in the villages.
It is a nice course.
  #38  
Old 05-17-2020, 04:40 PM
red tail red tail is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rio Grande Designer Villas of De Laguna
Posts: 1,111
Thanks: 13
Thanked 21 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry8bal View Post
It is being considered and I think they should do it. There is a lot of call for a Pitch & Play and/or a Putt & Play or both but there is no room north of Hwy 466. Besides that, Silver Lake Golf Course is a very dangerous course, as is Hill Top. The holes are too close to each other for those many many, people who really don't know how to play a par 3 course and can't hit every green. There are too many cases where you can get hit in the head by errant golfers from other holes coming and going. This would be a much better use of that land.
hogwash
  #39  
Old 05-18-2020, 07:25 AM
Bay Kid's Avatar
Bay Kid Bay Kid is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Posts: 3,050
Thanks: 315
Thanked 738 Times in 319 Posts
Default

Hopefully this will NOT happen.
  #40  
Old 05-18-2020, 07:30 AM
BamaBoy451 BamaBoy451 is offline
Member
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hacienda Hills
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 67 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
No. It is the Putting Course that you have a short walk too.
Pitch and Putt has plenty of parking by the food trailers.
Ah, Ok. thanks.
  #41  
Old 05-18-2020, 12:16 PM
SunFun SunFun is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default No converting Silver Lake

You can contact Bill Schikora email: cddschikora@gmail.com he represents District 2 and you can send your comments to him so he can pass them on. You can get on his email list so you can receive information regarding issues in The Villages.
I personally think this is a dumb idea. It's difficult enough to get a tee time and now they are considering doing away with one of the courses.
We are facing raising taxes and now they want to put in a pitch and putt that cost almost 2 to 3 times what it would cost to fix the golf course. This is exactly why we are facing raising taxes. Poor decision regarding the finances, facilities and what is truly wanted or needed to maintain why most of us moved here.
A pitch and putt is nice and if that is something you or your visitors want you can drive to Fenney.
  #42  
Old 05-18-2020, 01:28 PM
dougawhite dougawhite is offline
Member
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 34
Thanks: 20
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBoy451 View Post
Have any of you all heard any rumors or speculation of the Silver Lake golf course being converted into a pitch and putt facility? Just looking for more information as I've only over heard. Silver lake is the oldest executive course in the villages.
The AAC is doing a formal survey of the issue at this link:
Silver Lake Golf Course Renovation Questionnaire Survey
  #43  
Old 05-18-2020, 01:49 PM
Tom53 Tom53 is offline
Member
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 88
Thanks: 21
Thanked 97 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Resident preferences are being requested, make your voice heard online if you prefer.

Silver Lake Executive Golf Course Survey
At the May 6, 2020 meeting, the Amenity Authority Committee (AAC) authorized staff to develop a survey soliciting resident input in the renovation of the Silver Lake Executive Golf Course. To complete the Silver Lake Executive Golf Course Survey, click on the following link- Silver Lake Survey.
Silver Lake Golf Course Renovation Questionnaire Survey
  #44  
Old 05-18-2020, 03:02 PM
BamaBoy451 BamaBoy451 is offline
Member
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hacienda Hills
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 67 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunFun View Post
You can contact Bill Schikora email: cddschikora@gmail.com he represents District 2 and you can send your comments to him so he can pass them on. You can get on his email list so you can receive information regarding issues in The Villages.
I personally think this is a dumb idea. It's difficult enough to get a tee time and now they are considering doing away with one of the courses.
We are facing raising taxes and now they want to put in a pitch and putt that cost almost 2 to 3 times what it would cost to fix the golf course. This is exactly why we are facing raising taxes. Poor decision regarding the finances, facilities and what is truly wanted or needed to maintain why most of us moved here.
A pitch and putt is nice and if that is something you or your visitors want you can drive to Fenney.
I agree. With the growing number of residents and rotation of course maintenance shutdowns especially at high season some don't get the tee times to play as often as they want.
  #45  
Old 05-19-2020, 08:52 AM
Bay Kid's Avatar
Bay Kid Bay Kid is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Posts: 3,050
Thanks: 315
Thanked 738 Times in 319 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom53 View Post
Resident preferences are being requested, make your voice heard online if you prefer.

Silver Lake Executive Golf Course Survey
At the May 6, 2020 meeting, the Amenity Authority Committee (AAC) authorized staff to develop a survey soliciting resident input in the renovation of the Silver Lake Executive Golf Course. To complete the Silver Lake Executive Golf Course Survey, click on the following link- Silver Lake Survey.
Silver Lake Golf Course Renovation Questionnaire Survey
Thanks. Will fill this out asap.
Reply

Tags
silver, lake, golf, heard, information

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.