Single handicap playing Executive Scramble

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2020, 08:18 AM

After reading all of the responses, you might want to consider not complaining or even practicing.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
As a 6 handicap (back in NC), I've always found it MORE CHALLENGING to play folks with a high handicap, BUT that is why we have a handicap system to even the playing field. Golf is such fun, ENJOY and don't sweat the small stuff.
I love playing with low handicappers.
Raises my game, and when I manage to drag most good players down to my level by my sheer incompetence, I strike!
Old 12-10-2020, 08:40 AM

I’m not sure why they want to play in an executive course scramble.....but one thought is to have the different handicaps play different tees. Single digit play black. Teens play gold and 20s and above play front tees. Not perfect but helpful and may discourage what is going on. Otherwise, it will be difficult to have a cut off of who can play or not.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paporter View Post
Why are women with single digit handicaps allowed to play executive course ladies day scramble? The women who play the scrambles, for the most part don’t have handicaps and if they do, they’re in the double digits.

It’s unfair, to all the other players, for these women to play, because they consistently, win every week. Why is this allowed by The Villages?

These woman, don’t play the Championship Ladies Day, because they play against 25 handicappers and feel it’s unfair. Yet, they’ll take advantage of women, who play executive course scrambles, with no handicaps. It’s not fair and single digit handicappers should not be playing in the Executive Course Scrambles on Wednesday’s.
Perhaps they enjoy the social aspects of playing the scramble?

There aren't any medals, money or endorsement deals to be made here. So, enjoy your golf day!
Old 12-10-2020, 03:56 PM
Sage

There is some money to be made (actually credit in the pro shops) ;-). Everyone contributes $2 towards the team game and $1 towards closest to the pin (that pays cash!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgodin View Post
Perhaps they enjoy the social aspects of playing the scramble?

There aren't any medals, money or endorsement deals to be made here. So, enjoy your golf day!
Old 12-10-2020, 04:04 PM
Veteran member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich42 View Post
Oh, I see. If you work hard and become proficient at something you shouldn’t be allowed to participate with those who don’t. Interesting concept.

Well stated....The OP apparently unwilling to put the work required to become a single digit handicapper but is willing to complain.

I would gladly play with any Professional to learn.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:30 PM

It depends on your perspective. If you think a scramble is a "fun recreation and a great way to meet new friends" then you won't care if you contribute $2 a week and never win. If you play to win the money then there's going to be angst if the same people keep winning and you never win. Personally, I wouldn't play if it was causing me one smidgen of stress or frustration. Organize your own group of similar skilled players and have your own scramble.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:47 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

OP, your point is well taken for closest to the pin aspect of the ladies day executive golf. A very low handicap golfer obviously has a better chance than a higher handicap golfer for the closer to the pin money. The teams are chosen randomly so you get to play with the low handicap golfers as you are randomly chosen. That said, many moons ago I was President of a men’s golf association where $5 went into the pot for each golfer and believe me I heard complaints almost everyday from some member of our men’s golf association and there were about 100 active members in the league. 95% of the time it was about the money. Jack I would say: “If you won all the money every time you played would that change your lifestyle any?” “No”, they would say. Joe, “Are you still having fun playing?” “Yeah, I guess so”, Joe most of the time he would say. “Joe would you like to be on the association board or run for Vice President next year?” “Hell no” and Joe would turn and go on his merry way. Golf can be frustrating but dealing with a “frustrated golfer” can be more frustrating unless you have a strategy. Fore... (please excuse errors and grammar on my mobile phone and have a nice day). Jim
Old 12-13-2020, 05:56 PM

I have just a quick observation in support of OP.
Several years ago I played the Wed Ladies Day.
There was always a foursome who managed to “find each other” week after week. They won the money week after week.
After I observed this happen a few times I quit going. It just wasn’t fun anymore
Old 12-13-2020, 07:37 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default Ahhh...conspiracy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell57 View Post
There was always a foursome who managed to “find each other” week after week. They won the money week after week.
After I observed this happen a few times I quit going. It just wasn’t fun anymore
yup...some folks can and do game the system. Personally I take it as a challenge. Others cave and run away.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:53 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell57 View Post
It is just funny money.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:56 PM
Location: currently renting in Caroline Will be moving to Amelia
Angry scramble on a par 3?????

how can you possibly have a scramble on a par 3 golf course. I use these courses to practice my short game but can hardly do that in a scramble. Why can't I play my own game when I join groups like SGV or ASGA because I enjoy the people
Old 12-19-2020, 08:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,856 Times in 893 Posts
Default Well typed

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
many moons ago I was President of a men’s golf association where $5 went into the pot for each golfer and believe me I heard complaints almost everyday from some member of our men’s golf association and there were about 100 active members in the league. 95% of the time it was about the money. Jack I would say: “If you won all the money every time you played would that change your lifestyle any?” “No”, they would say. Joe, “Are you still having fun playing?” “Yeah, I guess so”, Joe most of the time he would say. “Joe would you like to be on the association board or run for Vice President next year?” “Hell no” and Joe would turn and go on his merry way. Golf can be frustrating but dealing with a “frustrated golfer” can be more frustrating unless you have a strategy. Fore...
Another example of the cross section of americana, there are personalities on there and here very representative of those throughout America. Everyone has a perspective and a bias, some noble others not so much.

I have refereed them in amateur soccer leagues. It's never the athlete's fault, always the referee. . . . and the whining!

The Villages and TOTV are no different.

sportsguy
Old 12-20-2020, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

To the original poster, I feel your pain. I have no idea why single digit handicappers would want to play with high handicappers. Where is the sportsmanship? You'd think they would want to play with their own for realistic competition. I'm guessing its about the money, if they consistently win, and to save some money. The championship golf has become very expensive over the years, and playing Ladies day executive is a way to play golf much more cheaply yet have a chance to win something. And they obviously have an advantage in any closest to the pin competition. The only real way to make things fair is to skip ladies day, and try to get together your own group of similiar type players, and have everybody chip in a couple bucks. There are groups like that out there. It certainly would be much more fun.

Last edited by Love2Swim; 12-20-2020 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:51 AM
Veteran member

Handicap has nothing to do with it. The point that the op was making is that a real good player greatly increases the odds that the team that she is on now has a much better chance to win. My neighbor is a good player and doesn't have a handicap and doesn't play champ courses but on mens day at exec courses, he is in the money nearly every week. Nothing wrong with that!
Closed Thread

Tags
play, women, executive, single, ladies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.