Slow play

Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,369 Times in 2,516 Posts

Removing many of the sand traps on Executives, would certainly speed up play,
Removing them all would not be out of the equation either.
Some are way beyond the skill level of many, and as stated earlier, some are more in tune with the North Face of the Eiger, as far as some of us older farts are concerned!
Old 06-10-2019, 08:06 AM

My personal view is that it shouldn't take more than 3 1/2 hours to play , the thought of 4 and 15 minutes is way longer than required but always hear they're on time and if there's open holes ahead imho they're behind , if you want take all day play in the late afternoon
Old 06-10-2019, 08:50 AM

First of all most ambassadors only have the "job" because they want 1/2 price golf. Years ago the developer's policy was not to enforce pace of play. Very few ambassadors even bother to try.

There are those idiotic signs at starter shacks that say "think ready golf." They should say "play ready golf." Would probably still be a waste of paper.

So many players do not play ready golf. Years ago I played at an area offsite course with pace of play rules posted. #1 was: at the first notice of slow play, you will be asked to pick up the pace. #2 was: at the second notice of slow play you will be asked to move to the 150 yd. marker, or next tee box, whichever is closer. #3 was: at the third notice you will be asked to leave the course.

In TV slow players manage the courses. If fast/normal speed players don't like it they can leave. Of course it should be the other way around.

Each nine holes on championship holes is timed separately. You can be 1/2 hour behind on the first 9, and right on time on the second.

I've been in groups behind slow players with open holes and have had the ambassador tell us that there are no open holes, or we are right on pace. Essentially calling us liars. I try to avoid interacting with ambassadors at all.

Yes, I am retired. But being on the course for 4 1/2 to 5 hours for a round of golf is not my idea of fun. I don't play as well as I did 20 years ago, but I still play well. Slow play is not my idea of fun.

Sad that this will never change.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:57 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,637 Posts

Old Retired People = Slow Play.

Next!!!
Old 06-10-2019, 08:59 AM

Playing the championship courses isn’t inexpensive and nothing is worse than waiting on every hole
Maybe they could spread the tee times to 9 minutes apart
Old 06-10-2019, 09:12 AM

People - we are retired! Yes, I get annoyed with slow play too but if you’re playing an exec course, expect slow play. A lot of these players are beginners and they have the right to learn the game. I’d rather see them on an exec course than a championship course. Maybe a suggestion: spread out the tee times a couple of minutes. Or require a golf 101 course before playing ( providing people with golf etiquette)
Old 06-10-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Posting here won't help.

I've tried to get a second pickle on my cheeseburger and it hasn't happened yet.
Most of the fast food places put three (3) pickles on
Old 06-10-2019, 10:04 AM

You're playing a GAME...not undertaking a military foray. Chill out and have fun. Or, if that doesn't appeal, join an golf club with a lot of young members and have to hustle your butt. This is a RETIREMENT community and in Florida, where everything is a lot slower than 'up north'.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:04 AM

Do you all know you are retired and should be enjoying the great outdoors. I play the executive courses regularly and they are always backed up unless you are first on. Just relax and catch up on what is going on with your friends, no one has to get back to the office.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:21 AM

Why can’t the slower group let the faster group play through? Why can’t a group of 4 let a single or a pair play through?

It seems that inviting someone to play through would satisfy both groups. Why isn’t this concept part of “Good Golf”?

Keith
Old 06-10-2019, 11:32 AM

Steve is correct, people play less golf because of slow play, some even quite. But the real problem here, as we can see from the responses, is that, there are competing views. Some people enjoy a leisurely round, some come to socialize, the course has their own agenda. For those that want to play golf without the social interaction, the traditional 4 some at 4+ hours is not fun. A single golfer with a cart and get around a championship course, without speeding in about 2 1/2 hours. A twosome with their own cart and get around in about 3 hours. A foursome will take, even in the best of time 3 3/4 to four hours. Its clear having more than 2 people, is not conducive to prompt golf. Why cant both types of players have their way. Start with twosome Tuesdays. Tee times are only for single and 2 players, each with their own cart. I think on those days we would be talking around 3 hour rounds, without rushing. A golfers golfer wants to play golf, but not at a hurried pace. If the demand was increasing the course could go to every other day having 1 or 2 golfer tee times, I would think you could go to 5 minute tee times, which would increase the income of the golf course. People that want to continue to play 4+ hour rounds could book on those designated days. Everybody wins.

Last edited by funtime; 06-10-2019 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Grammer correction

Then why bother having ambassadors. There is a polite way to tell someone to pick up the pace. Also find out what group is causing the delay.

Slow play can be aggravating on any course, especially when you see golfers taking ten minutes to find a ball that is obviously determined not to be found. A lot of players also do not understand ready golf. If you're on time, you're on time. No problem there. However, if you are unnecessarily holding up other players, it's not a matter of being retired, it's a matter of being cognizant of others around you.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:43 AM

Played in 1hr5min the other day as a foursome and after the 2nd hole never saw the threesome in front of us or the foursome behind us. Remember there are a lot of first time golfers down here and alot play from the wrong tees.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:00 PM

Having a schedule of that kind is just not realistic. It amounts to rationing golf. I think the bulk of us realize and accept that if you're a twosome behind a foursome, you are obviously not going to take as long to play, and there may be some wait time. As far as leisure and socializing goes, my own experience tells me it is possible to keep up the pace and still interact with others in the group.
Closed Thread

Tags
play, slow, pace, allowed, enforce

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.