Slow play

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Worth re-posting.

The math is kind of faulty for a less than 3 hour round. That assumption is based on completing every hole in 8-9 minutes, and 1 foursome per hole. With 2 foursomes on each par 4/5, and 1 on each par 3, that leaves you with 32 slots, and approximately 4:20 to complete, on pace. I'm ok with that! Most every group has an occasional bad hole, and you may be held up occasionally, but that's the nature of the game. That being said, 5-6 hours is excessive, but I haven't been subjected to one very often, if ever.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:10 AM

Just a heads up: playing time for par 3's is 12 minutes, par 4's 14 minutes, par 5's 17 minutes. If everyone is on time when you get to a par 3 you will have a 4 minute wait. There is 5 minuets built in for the turn. Each 9 is not timed separately on most courses but there is at least one does time that way.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:16 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjkoz View Post
I just love the golfer who hasn’t hit a drive over 150 yards all day but has to wait for the green to clear when they’re trying to hit a 275 yards shot from the fairway. really?
Not always their fault. Sometimes you do that and they look back at you as if you were trying to hit into them. That intimidates some people. Personally, I just let 'em look. I know how far I hit, and it ain't 275 yards.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 06-16-2019, 11:49 AM
Platinum member
Default Something Else

I remember when I first started playing golf. I had been going to tournaments, etc., or just riding along with my husband. When I told him that I wanted to play, he told me to go get some clubs and lessons. I did. When he saw that I was going to stick with it, he bought me some good clubs. He didn't teach me how to play, but he did teach me how I should play. We would go out in the afternoons, and I would keep up with him by picking up my ball and moving it to where his was and play from there. I didn't take 5 or 6 practice shots, take another club, and more practice. I would take maybe one practice swing (still do) and hit the ball. The first time I was invited to play with him and his buddies, I was not sure I wanted to. We got along great! I had told him at one point that I knew I would never be a really, really good golfer; I just wanted to play well enough that nobody would mind playing with me. He assured me that they wouldn't because I didn't piddle around; I just hit and moved on. My philosophy is that I am either going to hit it or miss it and practice swinging forever wasn't going to change that. Actually, I putted better than him, but couldn't chip. I used to hit lots of chip shots with my 'Texas wedge' from pretty far off the green. As for getting out of traps, one or two tries and then it's the ole hand wedgie (toss it out). Being a beginner is no excuse for holding everyone up. Everyone was a beginner at some point. Nobody here is playing for a Green Jacket. Unless you are in a tournament, just do whatever it takes to keep up and enjoy your game. There is no shame in picking up. I loved tournaments, but played 100% by the rules then. No hand wedgies, etc.

My pet peeves here are not playing ready golf, not picking up when you are totally out of the hole anyway, moseying back to the cart and putting on the club head cover and placing it in the bag, then moving away, not getting out of the cart without finishing whatever conversation you are having first, and not getting off the course when you're done to visit while adding up scores. I find that I play better golf when the pace is comfortable, not slow or rushed. Not that hard to do.

We were told by our club pro:
Your place on the golf course is right behind the group in front of you; not right in front of the group behind you.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 06-16-2019, 12:08 PM

Also placing holes in the most difficult Spots on the greens create Slow play Sand bunkers Some impossible to get out of due to the Sand if that’s what you call it yes slow play when golfers should be playing ready golf
Old 06-16-2019, 12:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosbestus View Post
What is the hurry, are you doing piece work? Golf is to be enjoyed and a form of relaxation. If you want to go fast, try running track or cross country. I for one want to try to play to the best of my ability, and I play better when I am not race horsing around the golf course. Not that i am slow, and I still get done in the allotted time frame of 4:15. Rush, Rush, Rush is what is wrong with American Society today. Take your time and do it right is my philosphy.
C'mon now. No one is insisting that anyone rush. Slow play is rude and selfish, and can be avoided easily without rushing.
Closed Thread

Tags
play, slow, pace, allowed, enforce

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.