Slow play

Slow play

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Slow play
  #1  
Old 03-24-2019, 01:12 PM
advp007 advp007 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 36
Default Slow play

In today’s Daily Sun Steve Trivett wrote an article about slow play. He is 100% correct about it ruining the game of golf. Until the local courses start enforcing pace of play it will only get worse with the additional population. We are constantly told that ambassadors are not allowed to enforce pace of play for fear of upsetting someone. The unfortunate consequence is that everyone behind the slow players gets upset. Please consider this when playing.
Reply With Quote

Pace of Play
  #2  
Old 03-24-2019, 01:45 PM
alwann's Avatar
alwann alwann is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Village of Gilchrist
Posts: 391
Default Pace of Play

Are you referring to championship or executive courses? It has been my experience that they may enforce pace of play on the championship courses, although not all ambassadors do it. Executive courses, maybe not. Often those courses are so chockablock that there is no benefit to encouraging a group to pick up the pace. Raking bunkers and repairing ball marks are different issues, and I wish the executive course ambassadors would deal with this. When the greens are healthy, that is. Right now, fixing ball marks makes little difference.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 03-24-2019, 01:47 PM
JoeandSue JoeandSue is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 5
Default

It is certainly frustrating for people play at normal speed to watch players spend time on the green like it is the pga championship. And then after everyone has putted stand and talk about how bad or great they played that hole, and move at a snails pace back to the cart, slowly replacing clubs in to the bag, and then visit some more, and finally go on to the next hole. All this being done without ever looking back to see if they are holding anybody up. We have shortened our rounds several times just because of this.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-24-2019, 02:08 PM
ColdNoMore's Avatar
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 8,598
Default

Until there are REAL consequences for slow play, starting at the professional level...it will be a lost cause.

Since I don't play the exec's, I can't speak for them, but I have yet to EVER see a championship course ambassador...move a slow group up.

Even with two holes in front of them open, it's usually a "well, they're on time"...or some other inane comment.

There are so many ways to play quicker, without rushing your actual shot. It starts with the idea that getting your azz out of the cart, grabbing the club you think you'll need, with one more and one less, walking over to your ball and then playing ready golf...is NOT against the rules.

And then there's the group that needs a union meeting to gather around and watch each player hit their ball.

And then there's the ones who can't trust their memory from the green to the next tee, so must write everyone's score (after yelling to confirm) at their cart...which they've parked too close to the green in the first place.

And then............


If everyone would simply follow the old adage that "your place on the course is right behind the group in front of you, not just ahead of the group behind you"...things would get instantly better.
__________________
Standing up for the underdog and against bullies...every chance I get.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-24-2019, 02:22 PM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 4,294
Default

Posting here won't help.


I've tried to get a second pickle on my cheeseburger and it hasn't happened yet.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-24-2019, 02:28 PM
JoMar JoMar is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,807
Default

At our club up north we were expected to finish a round in 4:15. That was the bar, not the group in front. The group in front could be a threesome, could consist of low handicap players or any other variable. We were expected to be on time and were told to move up to get on time. If we didn't, their were consequences up to and including suspension. When someone was recommended to join the club they had a face to face with the pro who explained what was expected by everyone on the course. The rangers (they weren't ambassadors) were not hesitant to enforce. Until that happens here, at least at some level, slow play will be part of The Villages golf
__________________
No one believes the truth when the lie is more interesting

Berks County Pennsylvania
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-24-2019, 03:09 PM
billethkid's Avatar
billethkid billethkid is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
At our club up north we were expected to finish a round in 4:15. That was the bar, not the group in front. The group in front could be a threesome, could consist of low handicap players or any other variable. We were expected to be on time and were told to move up to get on time. If we didn't, their were consequences up to and including suspension. When someone was recommended to join the club they had a face to face with the pro who explained what was expected by everyone on the course. The rangers (they weren't ambassadors) were not hesitant to enforce. Until that happens here, at least at some level, slow play will be part of The Villages golf
Maybe "slow play" in TV is a function of retirement status and relative age.
__________________
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it"...Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-24-2019, 03:28 PM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 4,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Maybe "slow play" in TV is a function of retirement status and relative age.



A lot of truth.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-24-2019, 03:38 PM
drcar drcar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Until there are REAL consequences for slow play, starting at the professional level...it will be a lost cause.

Since I don't play the exec's, I can't speak for them, but I have yet to EVER see a championship course ambassador...move a slow group up.

Even with two holes in front of them open, it's usually a "well, they're on time"...or some other inane comment.

There are so many ways to play quicker, without rushing your actual shot. It starts with the idea that getting your azz out of the cart, grabbing the club you think you'll need, with one more and one less, walking over to your ball and then playing ready golf...is NOT against the rules.

And then there's the group that needs a union meeting to gather around and watch each player hit their ball.

And then there's the ones who can't trust their memory from the green to the next tee, so must write everyone's score (after yelling to confirm) at their cart...which they've parked too close to the green in the first place.

And then............


If everyone would simply follow the old adage that "your place on the course is right behind the group in front of you, not just ahead of the group behind you"...things would get instantly better.
Pace of play has 2 factors, on time and position. You can have 2 holes open in front of you and still be on time. Maybe open tee times, maybe 2 somes or 3 somes. The pace is NOT determined by how fast you play but by the clock. A group can be on time or a couple minute behind but the group behind can be fast players. Also ambassadors have far more ability then you may think, but there are many factors. We are retired, take a chill pill.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-24-2019, 03:45 PM
anothersteve anothersteve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 235
Default

You can moan and groan about slow play on execs all you want, but nothing will change. There are just too many people playing. Deal with it.
Steve
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
play, slow, pace, allowed, enforce

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.