Slow play

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2019, 01:12 PM
Default Slow play

In today’s Daily Sun Steve Trivett wrote an article about slow play. He is 100% correct about it ruining the game of golf. Until the local courses start enforcing pace of play it will only get worse with the additional population. We are constantly told that ambassadors are not allowed to enforce pace of play for fear of upsetting someone. The unfortunate consequence is that everyone behind the slow players gets upset. Please consider this when playing.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:45 PM
Veteran member
Default Pace of Play

Are you referring to championship or executive courses? It has been my experience that they may enforce pace of play on the championship courses, although not all ambassadors do it. Executive courses, maybe not. Often those courses are so chockablock that there is no benefit to encouraging a group to pick up the pace. Raking bunkers and repairing ball marks are different issues, and I wish the executive course ambassadors would deal with this. When the greens are healthy, that is. Right now, fixing ball marks makes little difference.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:47 PM

It is certainly frustrating for people play at normal speed to watch players spend time on the green like it is the pga championship. And then after everyone has putted stand and talk about how bad or great they played that hole, and move at a snails pace back to the cart, slowly replacing clubs in to the bag, and then visit some more, and finally go on to the next hole. All this being done without ever looking back to see if they are holding anybody up. We have shortened our rounds several times just because of this.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Until there are REAL consequences for slow play, starting at the professional level...it will be a lost cause.

Since I don't play the exec's, I can't speak for them, but I have yet to EVER see a championship course ambassador...move a slow group up.

Even with two holes in front of them open, it's usually a "well, they're on time"...or some other inane comment.

There are so many ways to play quicker, without rushing your actual shot. It starts with the idea that getting your azz out of the cart, grabbing the club you think you'll need, with one more and one less, walking over to your ball and then playing ready golf...is NOT against the rules.

And then there's the group that needs a union meeting to gather around and watch each player hit their ball.

And then there's the ones who can't trust their memory from the green to the next tee, so must write everyone's score (after yelling to confirm) at their cart...which they've parked too close to the green in the first place.

And then............

If everyone would simply follow the old adage that "your place on the course is right behind the group in front of you, not just ahead of the group behind you"...things would get instantly better.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:22 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Posting here won't help.

I've tried to get a second pickle on my cheeseburger and it hasn't happened yet.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

At our club up north we were expected to finish a round in 4:15. That was the bar, not the group in front. The group in front could be a threesome, could consist of low handicap players or any other variable. We were expected to be on time and were told to move up to get on time. If we didn't, their were consequences up to and including suspension. When someone was recommended to join the club they had a face to face with the pro who explained what was expected by everyone on the course. The rangers (they weren't ambassadors) were not hesitant to enforce. Until that happens here, at least at some level, slow play will be part of The Villages golf

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-24-2019, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
At our club up north we were expected to finish a round in 4:15. That was the bar, not the group in front. The group in front could be a threesome, could consist of low handicap players or any other variable. We were expected to be on time and were told to move up to get on time. If we didn't, their were consequences up to and including suspension. When someone was recommended to join the club they had a face to face with the pro who explained what was expected by everyone on the course. The rangers (they weren't ambassadors) were not hesitant to enforce. Until that happens here, at least at some level, slow play will be part of The Villages golf
Maybe "slow play" in TV is a function of retirement status and relative age.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:28 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Maybe "slow play" in TV is a function of retirement status and relative age.

A lot of truth.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Until there are REAL consequences for slow play, starting at the professional level...it will be a lost cause.

Since I don't play the exec's, I can't speak for them, but I have yet to EVER see a championship course ambassador...move a slow group up.

Even with two holes in front of them open, it's usually a "well, they're on time"...or some other inane comment.

There are so many ways to play quicker, without rushing your actual shot. It starts with the idea that getting your azz out of the cart, grabbing the club you think you'll need, with one more and one less, walking over to your ball and then playing ready golf...is NOT against the rules.

And then there's the group that needs a union meeting to gather around and watch each player hit their ball.

And then there's the ones who can't trust their memory from the green to the next tee, so must write everyone's score (after yelling to confirm) at their cart...which they've parked too close to the green in the first place.

And then............

If everyone would simply follow the old adage that "your place on the course is right behind the group in front of you, not just ahead of the group behind you"...things would get instantly better.
Pace of play has 2 factors, on time and position. You can have 2 holes open in front of you and still be on time. Maybe open tee times, maybe 2 somes or 3 somes. The pace is NOT determined by how fast you play but by the clock. A group can be on time or a couple minute behind but the group behind can be fast players. Also ambassadors have far more ability then you may think, but there are many factors. We are retired, take a chill pill.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:45 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

You can moan and groan about slow play on execs all you want, but nothing will change. There are just too many people playing. Deal with it.
Steve
Old 03-24-2019, 04:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
You can moan and groan about slow play on execs all you want, but nothing will change. There are just too many people playing. Deal with it.
Steve
True. An ambassador (clearly frustrated) once told us that by the time a group is obviously behind and he tells them to speed up or close the gap in front, they are usually 4-5 holes into their round. When he checks on them later, even if they did speed up, they are almost done with their round. He felt he was accomplishing nothing but hopes they remember the advice next time.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post
Pace of play has 2 factors, on time and position. You can have 2 holes open in front of you and still be on time. Maybe open tee times, maybe 2 somes or 3 somes. The pace is NOT determined by how fast you play but by the clock. A group can be on time or a couple minute behind but the group behind can be fast players. Also ambassadors have far more ability then you may think, but there are many factors. We are retired, take a chill pill.
We played Bonita Pass one day last summer and while teeing off on the 7th hole we observed the two 4 somes in front of us decided to drive off and departed the course. Sure enough the ambassador came up to us and said to speed up as there were 2 holes open in front. Well, yeah! There would be. He asked me how I knew they left the course and I told him they drove right past you! We all laughed.

Last edited by DonH57; 03-25-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Posting here won't help.

I've tried to get a second pickle on my cheeseburger and it hasn't happened yet.
You are right as usual and a lot of the population now here, will exit in SEVEN days.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Pace of play has 2 factors, on time and position. You can have 2 holes open in front of you and still be on time. Maybe open tee times, maybe 2 somes or 3 somes. The pace is NOT determined by how fast you play but by the clock. A group can be on time or a couple minute behind but the group behind can be fast players. Also ambassadors have far more ability then you may think, but there are many factors.
For clarification, I've played more than enough golf to know... when to compare apples to apples.

None of your threesome/twosome/empty tee times/just faster players/Etc...apply to my point/examples.

Quote:
We are retired, take a chill pill.
However, this statement and attitude...does apply to my point.

Thank you.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Mrs. KC played the Marshview Pitch and Play today - 3 freaking long hours for that short course. Slow play is so killing the game of golf.

U.N.A.C.C.E.P.T.A.B.L.E.

Tags
play, slow, pace, allowed, enforce

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.