Slow play

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2019, 07:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

I and my golf partners are all fast players, and for the most part, have not experienced unreasonably slow play on the championship courses. The executive courses are a totally different animal. Slow play is expected and must be tolerated if you wish to not go crazy sometimes. I rarely play executive courses, but when I do I bring a couple of cold beers and expect a slow but fun round nonetheless. If I want a fast round on executive courses I find it is best to either go out as one of the first couple of groups in the AM or the last couple of groups before dark during daylight savings time. It is what it is.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:35 PM

Executive courses this time of year are slow and that’s expected. It’s slow play on the Championship courses that drives me up a wall. If people would just play ready golf, we could all move along nicely and stop waiting for the green to clear when you’re 275 yards out. You’re not going to hit it. You’re drive didn’t even go 200 yds.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:41 PM
Location: Brooklyn, Staten Island, Mount Hope, NY, Villa De Laguna

There are so many factors that play into the equation. Foursomes are sent out every 7 or 8 minutes. That leaves very little room for error. The new rules gives a golfer 3 minutes to look for their ball. If that happens to the same group 2 times that is 6 minutes. The group behind will now be waiting. But this doesn’t mean the group is slow. They could be playing faster than the alloted tome per hole. You then have groups that play 30 minutes faster than the alloted time. When they make the turn they have to wait for the last group on the wave to start before they do. They now think the play is slow but they are just real fast. Maybe if they put a little more time between tee times this may help but there is just too much demand to do that. You also have people who can’t wait for their tee time to start and hit 2-3 minutes before. This will not keep the pace of play. Also practing ready golf and good golf needs to be used a lot more.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:01 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I've noticed some starters actually keep track of who's shooting off when. There's been times when we could go tee off and the group before us were waiting to tee off. Other starters actually go out and observe what the groups are doing since some foursomes just pull up in line before checking in and or walk off to parts unknown!
Old 03-25-2019, 07:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by advp007 View Post
In today’s Daily Sun Steve Trivett wrote an article about slow play. He is 100% correct about it ruining the game of golf. Until the local courses start enforcing pace of play it will only get worse with the additional population. We are constantly told that ambassadors are not allowed to enforce pace of play for fear of upsetting someone. The unfortunate consequence is that everyone behind the slow players gets upset. Please consider this when playing.
But not neccessarily told by those who would actually know.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:32 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

The idea is for everyone to enjoy their game.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

Biggest holdup I’ve found on the executive courses is when scramble groups are so excited about scoring etc they forget to leave the course on nine. I’ve seen 6 carts hanging out around the ninth green while some practice putting on nine and others tally up the score on the fringe. I’ve seen money awards handed out. I’ve seen others that just want to park where those on the tee box will likely hit them, while giving hugs and high fives. Meanwhile, groups are piling up on the ninth tee box wondering what these people are thinking.

I don’t understand why it is so hard to finish the ninth hole and pull off the course to celebrate and repack your clubs.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Maybe "slow play" in TV is a function of retirement status and relative age.
And health...Many factors..
Yes slow play is annoying in the long run at this stage of our lives
Just be happy we woke up to see the flag stick
Old 06-03-2019, 06:57 AM
Cool Frustrating

Played Glenview on Sunday 6/2
with our friends, another couple,or should I say tried.Tee time 10:32 finished 9 holes
2 hours and 45 + min later.
So got rain check for the other 9 holes...
PPOBLEM #1
.When you have ( 3 ).
4 somes on the same hole you have a problem .When you have golfers playing blue tee boxes and can't, or even come close to reaching the 150yrd markers on there drives you have a problem. When the group in front of you loose sight of the 4 some in front of them on the second hole ,you have a problem.
All the time not only are you frustrating my group,but the entire field behind us.
So by the 5th hole, I had a chance to speak to the Ambassador about the slow play.
I said could you tell us what's going on in front if us? His response was the two groups in front of us were the problem .
He said I spoke to them, to get moving ..
.So I asked what was there response?
He replied ,they just looked at me ..
Well I can tell you it didn't work ..
When you have golfers walking to there ball without clubs and your partner then decides to move the cart on the other side of the fairway that's a problem ..When you have the entire group watching you hit the ball ,that's a problem..When you park your carts in front of the green on every hole ,that's a problem.
When you clean your clubs while your parked in front of the green that's a problem.
So you see folks a little COMMON SENSE and golf ETIQUETTE could have gone a long way.
Sadly ,this is not the first time ,nor will it be the last time we will experience this..
The only good thing about this day is we got to the bar earlier than expected.

If I was any better I'd be twins!!
Cheers!!
Old 06-03-2019, 07:31 AM
Veteran member

This does not happen "outside TV" Where i came from the ambassadors carry guns
Old 06-03-2019, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The afternoon teetimes on the championships right now are a good pace of play. On Friday 5/31 we had a teetime of 1:00 at Belle Glade (Calusa > Tequesta), at 12:30 when my neighbor and I were paying in the clubhouse they said we're next on the tee. We have to wait for our third player.

We went to the Calusa starter shack and checked in and he said, were next up. I called our third player who lives close by in Labelle. We went to the practice green and when our third showed, we teed off at 12:45.

We never had to wait on the entire 18 holes, first time this has happened in a few years. Nobody in sight in front us all day, the three of us finished the 18 holes about 4:00, that was about 3+15 minutes from the time we started. We play ready golf, when you're ready you hit, don't have to wait for honors, but we did take the stick out when putting close range. It was a very enjoyable afternoon.

I think since they have the discount golf at 4pm now, it has eliminated some of the early afternoon golfers. For $34 it was a good deal for us, the fairways could use a little more grass.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:08 AM
Gold member

Poor champ course design is also cause for slow play.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Maybe "slow play" in TV is a function of retirement status and relative age.
Thank You well stated
They encourage everyone to keep moving
which is great.

I personally enjoy seeing and playing with people of all ages and ability. Great to see them out there enjoying what this great community has to offer.
Sadly it does offend others with higher skill levels and ease of mobility. If your day is going to be ruined by some one taking a few extra minutes you shouldn't be out there
Old 06-03-2019, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
Poor champ course design is also cause for slow play.
Or the players that don't know to adjust their game to the course they are playing.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-03-2019, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Why would anyone want to play 'Fast Golf?'
Or is there a prize for the fastest round of th day?
Closed Thread

Tags
play, slow, pace, allowed, enforce

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.