Slow play

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2019, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
This does not happen "outside TV" Where i came from the ambassadors carry guns
I did not know Leavenworth had a golf course.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Why would anyone want to play 'Fast Golf?'
Or is there a prize for the fastest round of th day?
It isn't really a matter of playing "fast" golf...it's simply playing "ready" golf.

The round is a lot more enjoyable (for most of us), when you can move along at a nice even pace and aren't constantly waiting for people in front zig-zagging constantly back and forth in the fairway ahead of you...or spending forever clearing the area near the green, after they've holed out.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:19 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaire View Post
Played Glenview on Sunday 6/2
with our friends, another couple,or should I say tried.Tee time 10:32 finished 9 holes
2 hours and 45 + min later.
So got rain check for the other 9 holes...
PPOBLEM #1
.When you have ( 3 ).
4 somes on the same hole you have a problem .When you have golfers playing blue tee boxes and can't, or even come close to reaching the 150yrd markers on there drives you have a problem. When the group in front of you loose sight of the 4 some in front of them on the second hole ,you have a problem.
All the time not only are you frustrating my group,but the entire field behind us.
So by the 5th hole, I had a chance to speak to the Ambassador about the slow play.
I said could you tell us what's going on in front if us? His response was the two groups in front of us were the problem .
He said I spoke to them, to get moving ..
.So I asked what was there response?
He replied ,they just looked at me ..
Well I can tell you it didn't work ..
When you have golfers walking to there ball without clubs and your partner then decides to move the cart on the other side of the fairway that's a problem ..When you have the entire group watching you hit the ball ,that's a problem..When you park your carts in front of the green on every hole ,that's a problem.
When you clean your clubs while your parked in front of the green that's a problem.
So you see folks a little COMMON SENSE and golf ETIQUETTE could have gone a long way.
Sadly ,this is not the first time ,nor will it be the last time we will experience this..
The only good thing about this day is we got to the bar earlier than expected.

If I was any better I'd be twins!!
Cheers!!
Well said
Old 06-04-2019, 07:23 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
Poor champ course design is also cause for slow play.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:12 AM
Gold member

No the designs of the courses do nothing but slow up play. Same guy did most of them. Friend of the family but not very good at design for senior golfers.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:16 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
No the designs of the courses do nothing but slow up play. Same guy did most of them. Friend of the family but not very good at design for senior golfers.

Enlighten us.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:23 AM
Default Slow Play

I support enforcing pace of play. Once golfers start to know they are to slow or to fast. The spacing of the tee times will start to be more effective. Which will make for less standing and parking time on the grass areas. The result a better golf expirence.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:35 AM
Bruce Hancock

simple to do; give the rangers in the villages the authority to move slow players the way every course in America does. Allowing 4 1/2 hours to play a round of golf is ridiculous, especially on user friendly village courses. Too many times you'll see people looking for free balls like they are gold. It should be easy to enforce, and like bad kids, it you punish them, they'll usually stop doing what they were doing.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:39 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I rarely see any slow play on the ex courses. I see a lot of impatient aggressive old farts 💨.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:14 AM
Gold member

Sorry JoMar nothing to do with adjusting. One example of bad design, the bunkers. Many are too deep for seniors, while others are so large it takes minutes to get in rake and get out. One other point. As we get older we have trouble hitting the ball as high as we used to. All greens should allow us to roll balls up to thegreens. This guy puts bunkers in front of the greens . These bunkers are also very expensive to maintain, more expensive than greens. and finally many of them serve no purpose.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

"We are retired; take a chill pill" - is an attitude of privilege and entitlement. This isn't a retirement community. It's a 55+ community. MANY people living in The Villages still work for a living. That means their day off, is probably only one of two or three days off they have available all week. That means this one golf game might possibly be the only one they get to play all week, or all month. If you're not in a rush, then schedule yourself for the last tee time available. You're retired afterall, you don't have to get to bed early to work in the morning right?

An actual solution that I haven't read yet, is for the party immediately behind the slow group to simply ask if they can play through. And for the slow party to say "you know what, we're slow today, go ahead."

If enough people continuously ask the slower people if they can play through, maybe the slower people will get the hint that they're going TOO slow, and either speed up, or stop scheduling their tee time so early in the day when so many other people are lining up behind them.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:42 AM

I totally agree that slow play ruins golf.
The executive courses are more "social" in nature but we pay significantly to play the Championship Courses.
As a former ranger up north it seems ridiculous that the ambassadors can't enforce pace of play. When I see a player sitting in a cart waiting for his partner to play and his/her ball is within walking distance to the cart and they don't have enough sense to go to their ball on get ready to hit it slows play significantly . Simply being aware of strategies to speed play and allowing ambassadors to "mentor" players could help speed up play greatly.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:49 AM

I have had some experience on the execs with starters forcing us out " on time" when there is an obvious back up. THen we just wait out on the course. Makes no sense. I'd rather wait at the beginning and play a smooth round. Some starters get it and some don't.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:50 AM

Being retired so expect slow play is an excuse, not a reason. We are ALL retired !! and the majority of us can keep up because we play ready golf, bring more than one club when chipping on (putter so we dont have to return to the cart) and dont hover around balls like a flock of quail. I enjoy my time conversing too.... but I do it in the cart on the way to the next hole. One slow group can and does cause a lot of consternation behind them. "Learn how to golf prior to learning how to play golf"
Old 06-10-2019, 07:50 AM
Default Ambassador Communication

I think part of the problem is ambassador communication. The ambassador should come up with a way to address the slow play that (a) starts with the statement that the players have fallen behind because they may be unaware and (b) suggests a solution.

"Would you like to let them through?"
"Would you like to skip a hole?"
"Would you like to pick up your ball?"

One ambassador told me to stand next to my ball to move it along ... and my ball was in front of the other three golfers .. what a joke!

Communication is the key - give the ambassadors the communication tools and they will do a better job suggesting a solution.
Closed Thread

Tags
play, slow, pace, allowed, enforce

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.