Slow Play and Ambassadors

Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2020, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTAP15 View Post
Where have I heard this before?? I just can't place it....
First time since March.......
Old 07-08-2020, 09:21 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmcnall View Post
Is it too much to ask the ambassadors to do their job. Twice in the past 10 days we had 3 groups on the tee, one in the fairway and one on the green. On both of these days, we were pounded by a rainstorm on the 17th hole and were unable to finish. We should have been finished before the rain started if we moved at a normal pace instead of 20 minutes on every hole for the last 5 holes. Ambassadors don't do anything except deliver sand if needed and wave to you and thank you for coming out. They don't realize the aggravation of waiting 5 minutes to hit every shot or waiting 20 minutes on a tee box to start a hole. The group causing the slow down has an enjoyable day while every other group on the course has a miserable day. I think it's better to anger one group than to have every other group behind them angry about the slow play.
Ambassadors, please do your job!
Just wandering if you completed 17 holes what prevented you finishing the last hole, daylight? The only reason I ask because I've played with people who couldn't wait out a brief shower because they had to keep to a set schedule like they were at work!
Old 07-08-2020, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
20 minutes on every hole? Now I find that to be a bit of a stretch.

Steve
Not that much of a stretch. A four hour round works out to be 13.33 minutes per hole. Many courses enforce a 14 minute per hole limit. If you have two players in a group that are very slow, it would be easy for them to tack on and additional six minutes.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:54 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,549 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Just wandering if you completed 17 holes what prevented you finishing the last hole, daylight? The only reason I ask because I've played with people who couldn't wait out a brief shower because they had to keep to a set schedule like they were at work!
Every rain storm we have had in the last 10 days has had lightning and thunder. Anyone who would stay on a golf course during lightning is stupid.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Is it too much to ask the ambassadors to do their job. Twice in the past 10 days we had 3 groups on the tee, one in the fairway and one on the green. On both of these days, we were pounded by a rainstorm on the 17th hole and were unable to finish. We should have been finished before the rain started if we moved at a normal pace instead of 20 minutes on every hole for the last 5 holes. Ambassadors don't do anything except deliver sand if needed and wave to you and thank you for coming out. They don't realize the aggravation of waiting 5 minutes to hit every shot or waiting 20 minutes on a tee box to start a hole. The group causing the slow down has an enjoyable day while every other group on the course has a miserable day. I think it's better to anger one group than to have every other group behind them angry about the slow play.
You are not at your home golf course anymore. The Villages Official response is to not tell any person here what to do. So don't be mad at the Ambassadors. They aren't MARSHALS. They will not tell anyone what to do...and YES, EVERYONE hates slow play.

Except the newbies who want you to accept their foolin' around...and will say...Hey relax. It's just a game.

Fools. Just a game. My foot.

I feel your pain.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Ambassadors in TV aren't what Ambassadors are outside the bubble which is what you are basing your "do their job" comment. Hate to break it to you but they are doing their jobs. sand, water (at some point), wave, time your play but take no action since they have no authority and if they try, they could lose their jobs.
You are incorrect,, they do have authority, plus they also let managers know whats going on. NO ambassador has been fired for doing their job!
Old 07-08-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
You didn't tell the whole story, was your group a foursome?, Was the group ahead of you playing on pace? Did you talk to the ambassador? Did you report the problem to management? The biggest problem on the courses these days, with 4 carts groups are playing super fast and they want all groups to play at that speed. If the group ahead of you is on pace there is nothing that can be done.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post
You are incorrect,, they do have authority, plus they also let managers know whats going on. NO ambassador has been fired for doing their job!
Several have been left go because they did what was not their job, pressuring players.....we have two in our neighborhood and they know the rule is to suggest and if they don't comply they can only report it to the pro shop. Nothing is ever done unless the players become obnoxious and threatening. Sorry, but there are ex ambassadors out there who thought there job was to marshall, it isn't

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-08-2020, 09:46 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Not that much of a stretch. A four hour round works out to be 13.33 minutes per hole. Many courses enforce a 14 minute per hole limit. If you have two players in a group that are very slow, it would be easy for them to tack on and additional six minutes.
20 minutes a hole is a 6hr round...or 3 hrs for 9...
sorry if I'm not OK with that

Steve
Old 07-09-2020, 04:59 AM

Quote:
With each of us driving our own carts now, my group has found we finish in 2 hours or less and have been able to do this for months now.
This slow play you are speaking of must be VERY out of the ordinary.
Closed Thread

Tags
ambassadors, group, slow, hole, minutes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.