Solo Signing Up For Open Tee Times

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2017, 10:50 AM
Sage
Default Solo Signing Up For Open Tee Times

My golf is usually with my regular group and occasional executive rounds when I can just show up and play late in the day. I'm thinking of signing up for open tee time slots late morning or so to get a little more champ play in. Naturally this would likely end up with me joining a group of two or three others.

I just want to check in here to get some feedback. Is this an accepted practice...adding yourself to a group of folks who don't know you? If so, are there things I should be aware of to make it work most smoothly.

Like I said, I haven't done this before and I'm just looking for some input regarding its acceptability and any other information I should be aware if I choose to do it.

Thanks. in advance.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

I play the Champs with a foursome, sometimes we only have three, so there is an open tee time.
We, and I would guess most would welcome a single golfer. Our experience has been good. Have played with golfers of all skill levels.
With the exception of a couple jerks, (that is probably the only way they play), we look forward to the solo golfer. This helps the pace of play as we are not continually pushing the group ahead of us.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
My golf is usually with my regular group and occasional executive rounds when I can just show up and play late in the day. I'm thinking of signing up for open tee time slots late morning or so to get a little more champ play in. Naturally this would likely end up with me joining a group of two or three others.

I just want to check in here to get some feedback. Is this an accepted practice...adding yourself to a group of folks who don't know you? If so, are there things I should be aware of to make it work most smoothly.

Like I said, I haven't done this before and I'm just looking for some input regarding its acceptability and any other information I should be aware if I choose to do it.

Thanks. in advance.
I do this all the time. Since my wife became somewhat ill a year ago, I am reluctant to commit to a group, so I just sign up as a single, usually with a pre-existing threesome. I've always been welcomed, even if it is in the middle of a group of 20. And 8 or 9 of these groups have asked me to join, although I have had to politely decline until things improve.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Sage

One thing I forgot to mention...on occasion I only play nine holes. Is that a factor?
Old 06-15-2017, 12:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
One thing I forgot to mention...on occasion I only play nine holes. Is that a factor?
I don't know, but I doubt it. I would just make sure that your (or the other guy's) cart is parked close to the 9th green or 1st tee if you are leaving , so as to not inconvenience the group. Believe me, it's worse if you signed up with a threesome, and THEY all quit after 9---you'll spend half your time on the back 9 waiting, even if the group ahead is way ahead of time.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:15 PM
Gold member

Nothing you wish to do has any bearing on joining a group except knowledge of the rules and etiquette of the game.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

Thanks. in advance.
With traveling, vacations & just waking up deciding to get out, I've joined other groups as a single hundreds of times over the years...and it is a mixed bag.

Sometimes you end up with a couple of others that were also singles, so then it's usually no big deal.

Sometimes you are replacing a fourth, where the other three have no problem with you...and sometimes they wish they could have kept it as a threesome.

While it is impossible not to end up with some jerks at some point, when I'm the odd person I try to be the first to grab the flag, offer to rake a bunker for someone else and fix as many pitch marks as possible.

If they're decent people, they will notice the effort being made and be appreciative.

If they're not, I don't have any secrets to keep it from feeling like a very long round.

In other words...it really is just a roll of the dice.

One advantage here, is that if you're going through the reservation system you can see the gender of the other golfers for the tee times you're interested in.

The one thing I never try to do, is to make myself the third when it shows a male and a female. I just assume it is a husband and wife and I'm sure they would prefer to just play by themselves...rather than having another guy join them.

If you call the course to see if there's room for a single (required on the day of play), I still ask about the gender and try not to insert myself into a twosome of 1 male and 1 female.

I'm speaking solely of championship courses here, as I'm not sure how the executive system works...or if it's the same process.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:43 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

I do this all the time as well.

Sometimes I sign up when there are two openings..........this way, I can ride in my cart. (sometimes I have a cigar)

This is great way to meet people.

Most of the time we are shooting from different tees.

Never had a bad experience.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:07 PM

Just do it. I am part time and do it all the time. Good way to meet people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
With traveling, vacations & just waking up deciding to get out, I've joined other groups as a single hundreds of times over the years...and it is a mixed bag.

Sometimes you end up with a couple of others that were also singles, so then it's usually no big deal.

Sometimes you are replacing a fourth, where the other three have no problem with you...and sometimes they wish they could have kept it as a threesome.

While it is impossible not to end up with some jerks at some point, when I'm the odd person I try to be the first to grab the flag, offer to rake a bunker for someone else and fix as many pitch marks as possible.

If they're decent people, they will notice the effort being made and be appreciative.

If they're not, I don't have any secrets to keep it from feeling like a very long round.

In other words...it really is just a roll of the dice.
OK----you, I and PB---we leave a slot open for a fourth and see if he can survive the three of us
Old 06-15-2017, 06:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
OK----you, I and PB---we leave a slot open for a fourth and see if he can survive the three of us
Or if WE can survive the three of us!
Old 06-15-2017, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Just think of it this way - the courses here are public courses; anyone can play at any time a slot during a tee time is available. The tee times are not owned by anyone in that group so if a slot is available, go for it.

I joined a threesome one day and one of them got kind of ****y about it; guess he had some kind of "bromance" going on with the other two. I looked at the scorecard and asked him to show me where it showed him to be the owner of the course. Needless to say we didn't bond during that round, nor did we ride together.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:01 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

I do this all the time, and everyone has always been welcoming.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
OK----you, I and PB---we leave a slot open for a fourth and see if he can survive the three of us:1rotfl:
Hmmm, $10 Nassau, automatic two down presses, play the ball down...from the gold tees.

NO strokes...for anyone.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:55 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

I usually play from the white tees, and recently ended up as a 3rd joining 2 guys who hit from the tips. I played my game, they played theirs. They were great to play with and I had a fun time.

Tags
group, play, late, tee, open

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.