Sticky steering wheel cover

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Gold member
Default Sticky steering wheel cover

About 6 months ago I bought a leather steering wheel cover for my golf cart from a company in Oxford. Lately I find that the steering wheel cover has gotten sticky. I tried to clean it with a cleaner and water but it eventually became sticky again. Anyone have any idea of how I can clean this cover so that it is not sticky. I figure there are probably people here who have a good solution to this.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 07-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
About 6 months ago I bought a leather steering wheel cover for my golf cart from a company in Oxford. Lately I find that the steering wheel cover has gotten sticky. I tried to clean it with a cleaner and water but it eventually became sticky again. Anyone have any idea of how I can clean this cover so that it is not sticky. I figure there are probably people here who have a good solution to this.

John

Are you sure it is real leather? I have a leather wrapped steering wheel in my auto and is the most comfortable wheel I have ever had.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Sage

I've had the same leather cover for years, moved it from old car to new car, and it's never been sticky, still looks and feels new. Are you sure yours is leather?
Old 07-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Sage

Might try putting baby powder or talc on it.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

what brand is it, it's not the golf steer is it?....gn
Old 07-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Gold member

It was a golf steer wheel cover. This afternoon I put some oxy-clean in some warm water and rubbed it on the cover and let it dry. I think that might have fixed the problem but I thought I had fixed it before and after a day or two it's still sticky.

John

Old 07-02-2011, 07:47 PM

Do you eat lolly pops by chance?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Platinum member

Call it tacky....a good thing.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

if it gets sticky again i would suggest you call the people you bought it from, they can probably help, i talked to them before and they are very nice....gn
Old 07-04-2011, 06:01 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

There are some covers that are designed to be tacky and non-slip. I don't mean non-slip as in "sandy" or "gritty" but as in tacky but they make no mess on your hands. I have seen this most often on motorcycle handlebar grips but that may be what you have. Your cure, in that case, would be to rep;ace the cover with a non-sticky cover. Contact whomever you purchased it from to verify if it or is not supposed to be sticky.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Sage

jr, perhaps try a leather cleaner if your Oxy-Clean doesn't do the trick. I use Lexol - there are many others that work and do a good job as well. Follow it up with some leather conditioner and you should be good to go!

Cleaner: http://www.lexol.com/Product_leather_cleaner.aspx

Conditioner: http://www.lexol.com/Product_leather_conditioner.aspx

Most auto parts stores, like Advance Auto Parts, will carry Lexol products. I believe you can find it at WalMart as well.

The stickiness you're encountering is probably related to the natural oils from your hands getting on the cover, simply due to use. That combined with other things such as hand lotion, sun tan lotion, etc. along with the humid FL weather and dust and dirt in the air will make for a nasty combination. You'll need to clean/treat your steering wheel cover periodically to keep it from getting sticky/tacky again.

Bill
Old 07-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

i have the same cover and it is not sticky, love the cover it gives the wheel a good feel....gn

Last edited by golfnut; 07-07-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Gold member

Thanx Bill, I don't use anything on my hands or any lotion. It's probably sweat. The oxy clean did not work so will get the lexol.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
jr, perhaps try a leather cleaner if your Oxy-Clean doesn't do the trick. I use Lexol - there are many others that work and do a good job as well. Follow it up with some leather conditioner and you should be good to go!

Cleaner: http://www.lexol.com/Product_leather_cleaner.aspx

Conditioner: http://www.lexol.com/Product_leather_conditioner.aspx

Most auto parts stores, like Advance Auto Parts, will carry Lexol products. I believe you can find it at WalMart as well.

The stickiness you're encountering is probably related to the natural oils from your hands getting on the cover, simply due to use. That combined with other things such as hand lotion, sun tan lotion, etc. along with the humid FL weather and dust and dirt in the air will make for a nasty combination. You'll need to clean/treat your steering wheel cover periodically to keep it from getting sticky/tacky again.

Bill

Old 07-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
Thanx Bill, I don't use anything on my hands or any lotion. It's probably sweat. The oxy clean did not work so will get the lexol.

John
There are other brands that probably do a good job of cleaning (and treating) leather as well.....and might be considered easier to use and are perhaps less costly. Lexol is a two-part process - the cleaning part involves using a little of the Lexol cleaner on a damp sponge to apply/clean the leather then wipe it dry with a towel or cloth - conditioner part is a wipe on-wipe off deal. Other brands combine the cleaner and conditioner into one bottle - not as much muss and fuss to do it. All I know is the Lexol stuff has served me well for years.

Hope it all works out for you, John!

Bill
Old 07-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Default Sticky steering wheel cover

clean first, wax with pledge, works for me ,same cover as yours
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.