Tee time reservation gotcha

Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2020, 07:25 AM
Default Tee time reservation gotcha

TEE TIME RESERVATION GOTCHA

I learned something about how reservation points get assigned to you that I want to pass on. Last night when I went to put in a reservation request for next week, I saw that I had 3 points.

Now that was wrong because while I had played four times, two of those were for reserved times after 4 pm. So, I should have had only 2 points.

But here is what happened.

My spouse and I had reservation for Saturday at 4:02. When we got to the starter shack at 3:40 the starter said “There is no one ahead of you, you can go if you want.” So, we started twenty minutes early.

When I checked my “play history” what I found out is that this was coded as a cancellation of our 4:02 reservation and a “Walkon.” I was then charged a reservation point.

Attached is the section of the screenshot that I took so that people can’t say that it doesn’t happen.

I don’t know if this is a function of how the guy at the shack enters (or doesn’t enter) information. And it is probably different if they call you up early because they are running ahead of schedule.

About a month or so ago when I asked the starter at a starter shack about whether going early changed my reservation points, he replied he didn’t know what they do at the tee time office.

My gripe is that no one has ever told me when they asked if I wanted to go early or join an earlier group that it would affect my reservation points. But it can and attached is the proof of it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-08-21 part. png.jpg
Views:	990
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	85919  
Old 08-22-2020, 10:43 PM
Gold member

Interesting...thank you for the heads up. No way should you be penalized.
Old 08-23-2020, 05:52 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

if you call tee time admin and explain, they will adjust
Old 08-23-2020, 08:03 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mparker1966 View Post
TEE TIME RESERVATION GOTCHA

I learned something about how reservation points get assigned to you that I want to pass on. Last night when I went to put in a reservation request for next week, I saw that I had 3 points.

Now that was wrong because while I had played four times, two of those were for reserved times after 4 pm. So, I should have had only 2 points.

But here is what happened.

My spouse and I had reservation for Saturday at 4:02. When we got to the starter shack at 3:40 the starter said “There is no one ahead of you, you can go if you want.” So, we started twenty minutes early.

When I checked my “play history” what I found out is that this was coded as a cancellation of our 4:02 reservation and a “Walkon.” I was then charged a reservation point.

Attached is the section of the screenshot that I took so that people can’t say that it doesn’t happen.

I don’t know if this is a function of how the guy at the shack enters (or doesn’t enter) information. And it is probably different if they call you up early because they are running ahead of schedule.

About a month or so ago when I asked the starter at a starter shack about whether going early changed my reservation points, he replied he didn’t know what they do at the tee time office.

My gripe is that no one has ever told me when they asked if I wanted to go early or join an earlier group that it would affect my reservation points. But it can and attached is the proof of it.
Thank you. That's interesting and maybe what's happened to our group. I do have a question for you. When looking at available tee times and courses do they show in any way whether the courses are undergoing aerification of greens maybe by color or astericks or something or do you have to keep a schedule handy?
Old 08-23-2020, 08:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

hmmm, same thing here. Just checked. Bonita Pass 8/17. Our tee time was 11:32. Starter let us begin early -@ 11:23, but noted on System as "Walkon" - 1point PLUS .1 point. Not an issue here as we seldon golf Champ courses, but????
------------------

Bonita Pass, hole 1 Walkon 8/17/2020 11:23 1.00 .0 1.00
Bonita Pass, hole 1, Other Course/Time 595495 8/17/2020 11:32 .0 .1 .10

--------------------
Old 08-23-2020, 12:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Thank you. That's interesting and maybe what's happened to our group. I do have a question for you. When looking at available tee times and courses do they show in any way whether the courses are undergoing aerification of greens maybe by color or astericks or something or do you have to keep a schedule handy?
It does not. Go here and scoll down to see the link for the schedules.

Golf The Villages
Old 08-23-2020, 02:46 PM

The point system is correct, you got one point for playing at 3:44 and zero point on your scheduled 4:02 Tee Time. Some how or another you have to get some kind of a point for playing don't you think?
Old 08-23-2020, 03:14 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
It does not. Go here and scoll down to see the link for the schedules.

Golf The Villages
Thanks. I knew about the schedule on the link. Was just curious since I'm usually not the scheduler of our group.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:34 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

The world is coming to and end over a point how ridiculous to even worry about such a petty issue?
Old 08-24-2020, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

When the starter says you can go out early, it doesn't mean you must go out early. He's offering you the option. But bear in mind, when you reserve a tee-time, it means no one else can reserve that time. So when you go out early, that tee time, which COULD have been reserved by someone who actually was going to use it, finally becomes available. At that point, it's not likely anyone will reserve that time because it's usually only within the next 10-20 minutes - and people looking to RESERVE tee times, need time to get dressed, get their golf carts, and drive over, and be there in time to actually MAKE that tee-time, on time.

The system doesn't know why you chose not to show up and start playing at the time you reserved it. The system knows only that you didn't show up and didn't play at the time you reserved it. Everyone who was hoping to book a tee time at that time, also has no reason why it was reserved for someone who wasn't going to actually show up and start playing at that specific time. They only know that THEY can't play at that time, because someone else reserved that time.

So - if it really and truly bothers you to have points, then next time a starter offers you an early tee time, thank them for the offer, and tell them you'll go out on the scheduled time.

Or - don't reserve a time, and show up and hope to get out as a walk-on.
Closed Thread

Tags
reservation, points, early, starter, shack

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.