Tiger Woods and Charlie PNC Tournament

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2020, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Tiger Woods and Charlie PNC Tournament

Can't wait!!!!! Dec. 17th parent child tournament, 11 year old Charlie is ready to take on Justin Thomas should be fun for all.

Wondering if there are TOTV members with stories about playing with your folks or children, you would like to share.

Wish I could have played with my Dad. Got to play with my Mom, and that was a hoot, I'll remember those precious moments forever.

Last edited by jebartle; 12-01-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
...Wish I could have played with my Dad. Got to play with my Mom, and that was a hoot, I'll remember those precious moments forever.
In '62 when I was 12 for some reason I started watching golf on TV, and Arnold and Jack were all the news. I even got Arnold's autograph about that time on a 8 X 10 at the grand opening of his Arnold Palmer Golf School in St. Petersburg. I remember we waited outside for over 3 hours for him to arrive, it was dark and cold by then. They passed out the photos and Arnold went around and signed each one, there must of been 300 or more there. I still have mine.

My dad worked for the City of St. Petersburg, they didn't get paid a lot back then. I wanted to play and they bought me a youth set at Montgomery Wards and my dad got used clubs. To save money, the first year we would leave our house at 6am in St. Petersburg and drive across the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, that's 15 miles across Tampa Bay, to Bradenton. There was a course that was 36 holes and you could play all day for $20. That was my first year of golf.

On Saturday the big pink hotel the Vinoy in downtown St. Petersburg near the bay had a small 9 hole par 3 course. My mother would take me every Saturday for about a year and drop me off and for $3 I could play all day. I met another kid there my age named Eddie and had a whole day of golf.

When I was 15 my dad got us a membership in the Sunset Country Club in the Snell Island section of St. Petersburg. For $365 a year the two of us could play all the golf we wanted if we walked. I never knew what it was like to ride in a cart. We played all the time, usually in the afternoon and was caught in dozens of thunder storms. Today the Vinoy Hotel has been refurbished and the same people own the Vinoy and Sunset Country Club. The golf course is now private and very plush and is only for the guests of the hotel.

After I was 19 I left home to join the Army and I always lived in a different city than my parents, so my dad and me only played a couple of times the rest of his life.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
In '62 when I was 12 for some reason I started watching golf on TV, and Arnold and Jack were all the news. I even got Arnold's autograph about that time on a 8 X 10 at the grand opening of his Arnold Palmer Golf School in St. Petersburg. I remember we waited outside for over 3 hours for him to arrive, it was dark and cold by then. They passed out the photos and Arnold went around and signed each one, there must of been 300 or more there. I still have mine.

My dad worked for the City of St. Petersburg, they didn't get paid a lot back then. I wanted to play and they bought me a youth set at Montgomery Wards and my dad got used clubs. To save money, the first year we would leave our house at 6am in St. Petersburg and drive across the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, that's 15 miles across Tampa Bay, to Bradenton. There was a course that was 36 holes and you could play all day for $20. That was my first year of golf.

On Saturday the big pink hotel the Vinoy in downtown St. Petersburg near the bay had a small 9 hole par 3 course. My mother would take me every Saturday for about a year and drop me off and for $3 I could play all day. I met another kid there my age named Eddie and had a whole day of golf.

When I was 15 my dad got us a membership in the Sunset Country Club in the Snell Island section of St. Petersburg. For $365 a year the two of us could play all the golf we wanted if we walked. I never knew what it was like to ride in a cart. We played all the time, usually in the afternoon and was caught in dozens of thunder storms. Today the Vinoy Hotel has been refurbished and the same people own the Vinoy and Sunset Country Club. The golf course is now private and very plush and is only for the guests of the hotel.

After I was 19 I left home to join the Army and I always lived in a different city than my parents, so my dad and me only played a couple of times the rest of his life.
I'm green with envy! My golf started when we moved to Morganton, NC, joined a private club, worked in husbands clinic, until he fired me, because he wanted to be boss, imagine that, lol, so to make a long story short, I HAD to play golf, tee hee, but still wish I could turn the clock back and play golf with both of them, miss them bunches.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Saw it in the "Sun" on Thursday. Congrats to your husband on his ace on Destin #5 ..... I doubt it was his 1st.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Saw it in the "Sun" on Thursday. Congrats to your husband on his ace on Destin #5 ..... I doubt it was his 1st.
Must be another "Bartle", Doug, sadly has had to give up his golf, Parkinson makes putting tough, he is very thankful for his success in golf though (5 double eagles and 13 hole in ones, sorry for diversion, I'm proud of the Ole boy)
Old 12-01-2020, 04:18 PM

Never played with my father. Caddied for him and his group at the club. Played with my son in parent child events, now my granddaughter is my partner. Golf has been a generational bond.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Must be another "Bartle", Doug, sadly has had to give up his golf, Parkinson makes putting tough, he is very thankful for his success in golf though (5 double eagles and 13 hole in ones, sorry for diversion, I'm proud of the Ole boy)
I'm sorry to hear that. And I was wrong. Last Thursday in The Daily Sun it says Doug Bartel, not Bartle had a hole in one. I thought it was as you say the "Ole boy". I remember seeing his name often in the sports section.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

When I was about 30 years old I came home from work one day and found a golf bag full of clubs leaning against my front door. There was a note from my Dad saying that he just got new clubs and these were his old set. Before then I had only played a handful of times. That’s when I began taking the sport seriously. During the next 16 years I was fortunate to be able to play countless rounds with the old man before lung cancer got him (boy do I hate cigarettes). My Dad was cremated and wanted me to sprinkle his ashes at various places I know he would have enjoyed. I keep some of his ashes in my golf bag and have spread his ashes at several of his favorite courses, as well several others I know he would have loved to play. Arnold Palmer was his favorite professional golfer, so naturally I spread some of his ashes at The Palmer course in the Villages. Later that day, I learned that Arnold passed away that very same day. Hopefully he went up to heaven to join my old man for an afterlife round of golf?
Old 12-01-2020, 07:19 PM
Sage

Wow, tophcfa. Wonderful story.

And Arnie is...yes IS...my golf hero.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
When I was about 30 years old I came home from work one day and found a golf bag full of clubs leaning against my front door. There was a note from my Dad saying that he just got new clubs and these were his old set. Before then I had only played a handful of times. That’s when I began taking the sport seriously. During the next 16 years I was fortunate to be able to play countless rounds with the old man before lung cancer got him (boy do I hate cigarettes). My Dad was cremated and wanted me to sprinkle his ashes at various places I know he would have enjoyed. I keep some of his ashes in my golf bag and have spread his ashes at several of his favorite courses, as well several others I know he would have loved to play. Arnold Palmer was his favorite professional golfer, so naturally I spread some of his ashes at The Palmer course in the Villages. Later that day, I learned that Arnold passed away that very same day. Hopefully he went up to heaven to join my old man for an afterlife round of golf?
Wow, will be hard to beat this one.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. And I was wrong. Last Thursday in The Daily Sun it says Doug Bartel, not Bartle had a hole in one. I thought it was as you say the "Ole boy". I remember seeing his name often in the sports section.
Thank you.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Can't wait!!!!! Dec. 17th parent child tournament, 11 year old Charlie is ready to take on Justin Thomas should be fun for all.

Wondering if there are TOTV members with stories about playing with your folks or children, you would like to share.

Wish I could have played with my Dad. Got to play with my Mom, and that was a hoot, I'll remember those precious moments forever.
Can't wait to watch! Should be fun!!
Old 12-02-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:

The closest I ever got to golf in 1957 I caddie in a US Open at Heatherdowns CC in Maumee Ohio. I was 15 at the time.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:22 AM

Great story..thanks for sharing...

Blessings
Old 12-02-2020, 11:49 AM
Default Little bit of aside to golf stories:

Many, MANY years ago, I was the 1st female Marshal at a PGA tournament. Have to admit, seeing the looks of surprise by the players & other Marshals was fun! Unfortunately, it didn’t make my golf game any better!
Closed Thread

Tags
charlie, tournament, folks, children, share

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.