Tired of bad greens

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Gold member

I have been away for 2 months and returned a week ago. In that week I have played 3 country club courses and this is what I found in my opinion.

Cane Garden 18 holes played Allamanda to Hibiscus --- Perhaps the best condition that I have seen it in a very long time. I might even say ever and I have lived here since 2005. Fairways and greens by far the best I have seen them. The tee boxes needed some help. Both nines were in equal condition.

Mallory Hill 18 holes played Virginia to Amelia --- also in very good condition greens had recently been punched but rolled very good since holes were small and partially healed. Fairways were very good. Tee boxes needed some help. Both nines were in equal condition.

Played Havana 18 holes played Kilimanjaro to Kenya --- Not in as good a condition as Cane or Mallory but not bad. When I left here in May Mallory was in the worst condition that I have ever seen it. Now the fairways are good the greens weren't close to what Cane and Mallory are and the tee boxes were about the same as Cane and Mallory needed help. Both nines were equal condition.

As to the tee boxes I play the white tees which are perhaps the most played tee boxes on The Villages country club courses.

I would like for people that are complaining or praising the conditions to please state what course or courses they are referring to.

The above is my opinion.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

We played Egret at Evans Prairie this afternoon. We didn't have to worry about slow play, there was only a foursome on our nine besides our threesome, they were in front by four holes and we caught them on the ninth hole, by then it didn't matter. The course was the best I've seen it since it opened, fairway, greens, everything was nice. I just wish it wasn't so hot, I was soaking wet when I was done and it was only 9 holes, for $12 it's a great bargain.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grill Meister View Post
Yes, I agree with you. The Villages courses are not in the best of shape and I believe that some of the techniques being used are not bringing about the desired result of producing championship conditioned courses. When we moved here 12 years ago, GMS (Golf Management Systems, which runs and manages all of the courses....incidentally the executive courses are owned by the CDD in which it is located, but GMS still manages them) had hired a professional golf greens keeping company, One Source, to take care and manage all the courses. One source was doing an excellent job and the courses were great. GMS started dictating to One Source when, how and at what cost they should take care of the courses. One Source ain't here no more. GMS has now hired "lawn" companies to take care of the courses. The "lawn" companies understand mowing but not proper course management.....they aerify the fairways and greens, sand the greens, fertilize, mow and overseed. GMS is in The Villages to make profits and the lower the costs of doing business, the greater the profits, and they really don't care about immaculate, championship quality courses......They have a captive audience here, why should they? What can be done about it? Probably, not a darned thing........alas and alack.

"Alas" and "alack."...excellent.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Still moving to TV with all the bad golf courses?
A lot of us avid golfers moved here not because of the high quality and maintenance of the courses, but because there is a plethora of choices in The Villages...that are accessible from our driveways with our own golf carts.

Even a mediocre course, in so-so condition (which pretty much describes the majority of misnamed 'championship' courses here)...still beats loading up the car and doing the whole bag drop, cart rental (without sunbrella's/hard doors) and shoe changing in the parking lot routine...IMHO.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:59 PM

Yes, Evans was good today, although they're killing off the fringe for some reason, Cane was in the best shape in years last week, Glenview was nice last Wednesday, Lopez was all right, and Palmer was in nice shape too. All that comes to an end with the aerification. Have to pick and choose your courses carefully now.

Championship Courses Aerification:

Glenview Champions May 1 August 3
Cane Garden May 2 August 5
Tierra De Sol May 4 July 31
Bonifay May 5
Havana May 16 August18
Hacienda Hills May 16 July 24
Palmer Legends May 19 August 15
Evans Prairie May 19 August 18
Lopez Legacy May 31 September 1
Belle Glade May 31 August 31
Mallory Hill June 2 August 29
Orange Blossom Hills June 2 August 28
Old 08-05-2017, 08:38 AM

couldn't agree more with your comment.....I live in a very upscale golf country club in Boca Raton and planing a move to the villages. The reason $$$$$
course is PGA championship with a complete makeover last year. Magnificent greens...also did club house a few year ago 11.5M course cost $6.5M
only 400 homes you do the math. I will live gladly with the greens here
Old 08-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grill Meister View Post
Yes, I agree with you. The Villages courses are not in the best of shape and I believe that some of the techniques being used are not bringing about the desired result of producing championship conditioned courses. When we moved here 12 years ago, GMS (Golf Management Systems, which runs and manages all of the courses....incidentally the executive courses are owned by the CDD in which it is located, but GMS still manages them) had hired a professional golf greens keeping company, One Source, to take care and manage all the courses. One source was doing an excellent job and the courses were great. GMS started dictating to One Source when, how and at what cost they should take care of the courses. One Source ain't here no more. GMS has now hired "lawn" companies to take care of the courses. The "lawn" companies understand mowing but not proper course management.....they aerify the fairways and greens, sand the greens, fertilize, mow and overseed. GMS is in The Villages to make profits and the lower the costs of doing business, the greater the profits, and they really don't care about immaculate, championship quality courses......They have a captive audience here, why should they? What can be done about it? Probably, not a darned thing........alas and alack.
"One who buys , based on price alone , deserves what he gets" An idea expressed by many wise minds throughout history and apropos this issue.

Tags
greens, regularly, tired, courses, disney

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.