The ugly side of exec golf...

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2021, 06:25 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larchap49 View Post
He's telling you so e a-hole finished the hole then sat in his cart next to the green and did not move. Then he got threatening when it was pointed out that he should move e away from the green so the next group could play. Seemed pretty clear to me, it's not rocket science
Just spitballing here, but I bet there is more to the story. Or less.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larchap49 View Post
He's telling you so e a-hole finished the hole then sat in his cart next to the green and did not move. Then he got threatening when it was pointed out that he should move e away from the green so the next group could play. Seemed pretty clear to me, it's not rocket science
What he POSTED is pretty clear. Is there more to it? What would the other side have to say? Yep, it's not "rocket science"
Old 05-17-2021, 06:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I don’t worry about it, I just hit the ball, remember golfers are not responsible for errand shots. You’re on the course you’re responsible to duck and cover.
Wrong. If you hit a shot and someone is still in range, or if you don't yell fore, you can be held responsible if you hit them. The rule is you drive away from the green after you finish putting. I see it all the time on executive courses. People stay next to the green under a shade tree while the next group is trying to tee off. Dumb.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Friendliest Home Town
Old 05-17-2021, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I'm still figuring out if this guy is five three. AND where the folks parked and apparently it was a par three? I thought you had to wait for the hole ahead to clear or be well out of range before you hit.

I don't understand what Mortal is telling us.
I'm confused about this as well.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:28 AM
Platinum member
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafw1 View Post
Just call the Ambassador to handle the problem. The phone number to call is on the card. I didn't know about this until someone enlightened me. The next time I'm in front of a group that doesn't know the etiquette I'll call the Ambassador.
On some exec courses Turtle Mound and Sandhill for example have ONE ambassador to cover both courses. By the time you get through to the starter shack and he sends them from the 4th hole of Sandhill to the 4th hole at Turtle Mound, those people will be home having lunch or supper. PLUS on some holes you almost have to drive upon the group in front of you on the tee box because it's such a short distance from the previous green to the next tee box.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Our experience re TV golf... been here over 7 years. Played (primarily) Exec golf 3 to 4 times every week. Math shows that's approx 1,300 rounds over that time. Of course we encountered 'slow' groups ahead. But truly - a very small % where we saw infractions as the OP indicated - moving away from the green etc etc. A few times the Ambassador came by and said there's a backup with some groups ahead but he told them to speed up. This has NOT been an issue for us as it seems to happen so seldom to us. Maybe we're just lucky...

One time about a year ago - I was the guy in trouble with the Ambassador. We were on a par 4 hole #1 at Bacall - about 330 yards to hole. The group ahead had a couple "chopper golfers", and finally when they seemed to be 250 yards down the fairway I decided to tee off. I hit my best drive...ever... right down the middle and had to go 240 plus a 10 yard roll. Yikes. but....it rolled right to the feet of the slowest golfer ahead. She turned around and yelled something with her arms up. I felt bad...but also good...

Apparently the Ambassador was at the green, saw it and she told him. He came to us when the others were teeing off. Friendly warning for me to wait longer - I told him I NEVER drive that far... he laughed and said - great drive, but be careful.

I felt really bad, so drove up to the next Tee to apologize. 3 of the 4 understood and laughed it off - she was still yelling at me "You could have hurt me!!!". Lesson learned by me... my bad.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
On some exec courses Turtle Mound and Sandhill for example have ONE ambassador to cover both courses. By the time you get through to the starter shack and he sends them from the 4th hole of Sandhill to the 4th hole at Turtle Mound, those people will be home having lunch or supper. PLUS on some holes you almost have to drive upon the group in front of you on the tee box because it's such a short distance from the previous green to the next tee box.
Even if the ambassador doesn't show up until it is to late, records are kept on who plays. If you identify who you are, they can determine who was playing in front of you. If they threatened you, they can be identified and justice can prevail.
The biggest problem is that people undertake an activity but don't understand the etiquette of the activity, or that are just A**es.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:46 AM

I have learned not to get on the tee box, this seems to irritate people that believe your rushing them and they purposely slow down. Although, I did pair with a guy once that started inventorying his bag after the ninth hole. I was parked behind him and was waiting, the golfer behind us hit up to his cart, I drove around him and left because I felt he was wrong. Don't know what happened.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Behavior of this type is not confined to exec courses. Typically, linked groups will hang out just left of #9 of Fort Walton, the hydrophobic 2nd shot pull will target them nicely. Then there was a group of 2 couples on #5 Destin last year. We finished #4, and pulled around to our tee on #5 (blue), which is about 70 yards behind the yellow tee that the 2 women were just walking up to. A man with them was screaming at us, telling us to go back to the last green, waving his arms like an idiot. He came up to us and yelled "my wife doesn't like anyone to watch when she hits. (I guess that doesn't include the 3 players she's with). I couldn't help myself---I suggested he spend 3+ million, buy his own course, and his wife could have no further worries. Demanding total privacy on a public course-----might be one of the best definitions of entitlement yet.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:05 AM

What time did you have to be at work that you were in such a hurry?
Last time I checked it’s the score you put on the card not how quickly you play!
Old 05-17-2021, 08:30 AM

How about just relaxing and waiting a couple of extra minutes for the group in front to head for the next tee? The best tee time to avoid slow play in front of you is 7:30 am.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
*sigh* I'm a 5'3" target for those self entitled golfers who know more than 55+ years experience at a fairly decent level of amateur golf...this clown and his wife kept their cart parked within the depth of the green thinking they were safe from the tee. Even after numerous attempts to get them to move further from the green side cart path(my wife drove down and asked them to please get outta range) and a call of "FORE" from two people, a ball zipping past the front of their cart, the person with a huge ignorance chip on their shoulder insisted they had moved far enough from the side of the green.

The afore mentioned person then got in my face and threatened me with a beating(never make the first move...you'll be held accountable). I stood my ground and put up with his mouthy attitude even with proof they were wrong on so many things. It wasn't until my 6'5" playing partner got out of his cart that he quickly backed off and drove off.

Why are there some of you out there that think the rules don't apply to them??? Go somewhere else!
With all due respect if your playing executive golf WAIT until there off the green. It’s that simple
Old 05-17-2021, 08:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
*sigh* I'm a 5'3" target for those self entitled golfers who know more than 55+ years experience at a fairly decent level of amateur golf...this clown and his wife kept their cart parked within the depth of the green thinking they were safe from the tee. Even after numerous attempts to get them to move further from the green side cart path(my wife drove down and asked them to please get outta range) and a call of "FORE" from two people, a ball zipping past the front of their cart, the person with a huge ignorance chip on their shoulder insisted they had moved far enough from the side of the green.

The afore mentioned person then got in my face and threatened me with a beating(never make the first move...you'll be held accountable). I stood my ground and put up with his mouthy attitude even with proof they were wrong on so many things. It wasn't until my 6'5" playing partner got out of his cart that he quickly backed off and drove off.

Why are there some of you out there that think the rules don't apply to them??? Go somewhere else!
Given how relaxing things are here, I’m startled by the anger and quick tempers I sometimes see, including my own. Yesterday morning I turned my car into a driveway in the Historic District, apparently without using my turn signal, though I believe I did. Apart from a golf cart a couple hundred feet behind me, there was no traffic in sight. Despite that, the driver stopped to yell at me for thinking I was privileged (in my ten year old Prius) and didn’t have to follow the law and use my turn signal. (I’m a stickler for trying to always signal and always come to a complete stop at stop signs.)

A couple days ago a golf cart on Morse swerved into the car lane and I tapped my horn to let him know I was there, not realizing he was swerving to keep from hitting a bicycle (which I couldn’t see because of the golf cart). He gave me the finger! When I saw the bicycle, I lowered my window and yelled out an apology.

If a golfer hits a ball into my garden behind my house, I don’t mind if he (it’s always a he) comes into the garden to pick up the ball, but it makes me furious if he tries to hit it from my garden, risking hitting my birdcage. (And would he write down the penalty stroke if he picked it up? Fat chance!)

It’s not an excess of testosterone. So why are so many of us so easily provoked to anger?
Old 05-17-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I'm still figuring out if this guy is five three. AND where the folks parked and apparently it was a par three? I thought you had to wait for the hole ahead to clear or be well out of range before you hit.

I don't understand what Mortal is telling us.
When you finish your hole, pull up “towards” the next Tee Box, Away from the green you just played So the next people can Tee Off Safely.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, green, side, wife, person

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.