Update on Six Inch Hole Proposal

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2014, 09:24 AM
Gold member
Default Update on Six Inch Hole Proposal

The Golf Division has modified its plan to use both regulation and six inch holes during the trial of this concept.

Click on the link above to get the full story

The change will at least give an indication of how many folks are interested in playing "Sinkhole Golf."

Last edited by TheVillageChicken; 05-25-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

LOL.That's a funny way to put it village chicken!
Old 05-25-2014, 10:23 AM
Gold member

This is taken from an article in Villages news.com:

Rather than have both the regular and six-inch holes available, the golf division has selected four days in the month of June, where they will offer only the six-inch hole, on one course for that day only.

Here is the schedule:

Monday, June 2 – El Santiago
Thursday, June 12 – Turtle Mound
Friday, June 20 – Turtle Mound
Thursday, June 26 – El Santiago

IMHO - hopefully this will be the end of it!
Old 05-25-2014, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Last edited by blueash; 05-25-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: removed at request of OP,he is correct
Old 05-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I hesitate to comment but continue to be amazed at the bile being vented over the audacious thought to increase the size of a golf hole. We must apparently hold to the tradition. Does that mean golf as played in Scotland in the 1700's? Does it mean you must wear a proper gentleman's attire for your round? Certainly your devotion to not dumbing down the game by making it easier to get the ball into the hole means you would never utilize any large faced driver, any graphite shaft, and ball designed to roll more smoothly or fly more distance as all of those are equipment changes which will give you a better score even though your skill level didn't improve. No hole in one with any club design invented since 1930 should count as those cheapen the records of those "real" golfers who managed the task before that arbitrary date. Why all this silly concern about well groomed greens? Learn to putt on the old fashioned ones.

Ever play basketball on a nine foot hoop? Or how about an 8 foot one where you could dunk. It was fun, a lot of fun. You knew you weren't playing NBA rules but you enjoyed playing and nobody got their dander up that if you want to play basketball you need to learn to hit your shots into a 10 foot basket. Bring on the six inch holes for those who want them. I hope they enjoy their round, share some camaraderie and come back for more. I don't care if they never advance to a 4.25 inch challenge. IMO
What bile? I don't see any bile in this thread. If you want to rebut some bilious posting, why not do that in the thread where you found it?
Old 05-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,001 Times in 1,201 Posts

I find it very gratifying that the Golf Division has listened to the people on this one. That has not always happened. I believe the many comments on news - villages had a lot to do with this.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemorkam View Post
I find it very gratifying that the Golf Division has listened to the people on this one. That has not always happened. I believe the many comments on news - villages had a lot to do with this.
Apparently size really does matter!

Old 05-26-2014, 06:45 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Larger hole

Who is the Golf division? How can you contact them if you have comments, suggestions, etc.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:38 PM

big-golf-hole-jpg
Try this, I still can't make it.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I suspect it wouldn't do any harm to place 6"cups on some of the Level 1 executive courses
Old 05-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Folks resist change---especially us seniors. I don't have a problem of taking a couple of executive courses and making 6" golf holes. The head of PGA has suggested a 15" hole as an experiment to speed up play. Big difference between a 6" hole and a 15" hole.

Current size is 4.25" so making a golf hole 6" isn't making it all that much bigger. I don't see it as a big deal at all---my bet is that some putts will still be missed.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 AM

I saw a video with Bryant Gumble interviewing golf courses that were changing to the now 15 in. cups. I may be able to hit one of those.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Folks resist change---especially us seniors. I don't have a problem of taking a couple of executive courses and making 6" golf holes. The head of PGA has suggested a 15" hole as an experiment to speed up play. Big difference between a 6" hole and a 15" hole.

Current size is 4.25" so making a golf hole 6" isn't making it all that much bigger. I don't see it as a big deal at all---my bet is that some putts will still be missed.
If this is a factual statement it only confirms the need for pace of play is a much higher priority than tradition, quality of the game or plain old common sense.

Ditto for all of the above regarding the 6 inch hole. A thinking person with half a brain engaged would acknowledge the increased hole size will do nothing for the pace of play.

Desk jockeyes with a failed hypothesis....that makes them go home at night believing they have accomplished something.

This is not bile or sour grapes....just simply underscoring a stupid decision by those in power (for lack of a better term).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.