Villages Golf Courses

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2011, 11:35 AM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I could not find that article by googling, so if you have a reference I would love to see the details.

Let me preface this by saying I almost exclusively golf at courses inside TV. I love packing a few beverages and a sandwich, putting on my "spikes" in the garage and driving to the course in my golf cart. I truly love being in TV and the golf is a big reason.

That said, it is hard for me to argue that TV courses are not a bit more expensive than other local courses, e.g. Eagle Ridge, Stonecrest, Stone Creek and others folks post about all of the time. To compare costs to anywhere else in the US is apples and oranges for me. As a consumer, I am more than willing to pay that difference for the convenience.

Do I think the higher cost is greed? No. I think it is a price based on supply and demand to maintain the courses for the year. If it was greed the prices would be pushed up until play went down during the winter. As someone that loves the convenience I mentioned above I am not sure where my breaking point for price would be before I went outside. On the other hand here comes May, I can play Palmer after 11 AM for $15'ish (I say ish as I do not remember actual cost)
I have to agree with AJ and Bosox
Old 03-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Veteran member

For us, it comes to about the same as what we paid in New York, although there we could play unlimited golf, up to a point. There were always tournements going on, etc., that closed the course on certain days, so it did come out fairly even. I think the membership rates there are around $2000/year, which up there is less than 6 months of actual golfing because of the weather. Here in TV we spend around $5K/year; we play on average around 2 - 3 times per week. We really don't want to play any more than that because we have so many other activities. But, frankly, our course up north was in much better condition than many of the championship courses here. Right now, there are only a handful that are in really nice shape. The others are so-so at best. You do pay for convenience.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Default Up north course

I pay between 8k and 10k a year up north to play golf on a private course. Only 300 members so course is always in better shape than any course down here. I can play at 7:30 every Saturday and when ever I want to during the week. I pay about 1/4 to 1/3 down here and the value is great. The courses are more like public courses up north and compare to them in condition. Playing in TV is like playing public golf elsewhere. MHO
Old 03-17-2011, 12:56 PM

I keep hearing about how hard it is sometimes, to get a tee time in the Villages. I created a monster, my wife never played golf until she came to the Villages, now she is hooked, being retired I don`t care what time I golf, and my wife has found open tee times, and we have golfed 38 days in a row. Thank god she is off visiting her daughter, now I can rest, I am still shocked on how cheap it is to play in the Villages.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary42651 View Post
I keep hearing about how hard it is sometimes, to get a tee time in the Villages. I created a monster, my wife never played golf until she came to the Villages, now she is hooked, being retired I don`t care what time I golf, and my wife has found open tee times, and we have golfed 38 days in a row. Thank god she is off visiting her daughter, now I can rest, I am still shocked on how cheap it is to play in the Villages.
Gary

Your a great husband.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I could not find that article by googling, so if you have a reference I would love to see the details.

Let me preface this by saying I almost exclusively golf at courses inside TV. I love packing a few beverages and a sandwich, putting on my "spikes" in the garage and driving to the course in my golf cart. I truly love being in TV and the golf is a big reason.

That said, it is hard for me to argue that TV courses are not a bit more expensive than other local courses, e.g. Eagle Ridge, Stonecrest, Stone Creek and others folks post about all of the time. To compare costs to anywhere else in the US is apples and oranges for me. As a consumer, I am more than willing to pay that difference for the convenience.

Do I think the higher cost is greed? No. I think it is a price based on supply and demand to maintain the courses for the year. If it was greed the prices would be pushed up until play went down during the winter. As someone that loves the convenience I mentioned above I am not sure where my breaking point for price would be before I went outside. On the other hand here comes May, I can play Palmer after 11 AM for $15'ish (I say ish as I do not remember actual cost)
I agree AJ - and no one here mentions the cost of the executive courses - which (if you walk them ) are FREE!!!

I also am willing to pay for the convenience. I work full time and want to get out on the course on weekends and have a cocktail on my lanai after... I don't want to be driving to another course etc. I guess I may feel differently about this when i retire.

The Morse family is not perfect. They may be greedy. But I still thank them for their vision that was started by Mr. Schwartz... and carried on..
Old 03-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
Of 21 local championship type golf courses reviewed in March, the top six most expensive for a Villager to play are all in the Villages?? This is not Harold Schwartz's vision of what he wanted the Villages to be at all.
I believe Mr. Shwartz's plan for free golf for life was based on executive courses. Subsequently it was determined there were some golfers wanting something more challenging. The decision was to add 18 hole courses but with greens fees, as our favorable amenity fees could not support those types of courses.

I look at it as being the best of both worlds. I play the executive courses exclusively but some of my friends prefer the 18 hole layout and seem quite happy with their choice. Some find The Villages championship courses to their liking and others prefer to play outside courses.

My guess is the Developer's decision to add championship courses was based on sound business sense. Some prefer to call it greed but I call it seizing an opportunity. It is also practical use of open areas.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
I believe Mr. Shwartz's plan for free golf for life was based on executive courses. Subsequently it was determined there were some golfers wanting something more challenging. The decision was to add 18 hole courses but with greens fees, as our favorable amenity fees could not support those types of courses.

I look at it as being the best of both worlds. I play the executive courses exclusively but some of my friends prefer the 18 hole layout and seem quite happy with their choice. Some find The Villages championship courses to their liking and others prefer to play outside courses.

My guess is the Developer's decision to add championship courses was based on sound business sense. Some prefer to call it greed but I call it seizing an opportunity. It is also practical use of open areas.
AND beautiful use of open areas.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:50 PM

I would love to thank the Villages for the golf courses. I have stay all over Florida and these prices are great.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Eternal Member

The only course I have problems here in The Villages with as far as green fees go is Palmer. I know it is the premier course here but to me it is just not worth the difference in cost to play it versus Glenview or Lopez.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:00 PM

I know that alot of people do not like the cost of greens fee at Palmer Legends, but the course is one of the best in the area, and I was told that $10 of every greens fee goes to the Arnold Palmers Children/Womens hospital in Orlando.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
I was told that $10 of every greens fee goes to the Arnold Palmers Children/Womens hospital in Orlando.
First I've heard of that - anyone else confirm?
Old 03-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
I know that alot of people do not like the cost of greens fee at Palmer Legends, but the course is one of the best in the area, and I was told that $10 of every greens fee goes to the Arnold Palmers Children/Womens hospital in Orlando.

I am only going by a friend's word that works there and she stated that she has never heard of any of the green fees money going to the hospital. If so I would not feel so bad about playing it but I can't see playing it during the winter months at the higher rate. I do play it in the summer when the rates are lower.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:50 AM
Veteran member

Yes the extra fee on Palmer goes into the Palmer Foundation which funds many community services in the Orlando Area.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:29 AM
Default tax deductible

That portion above the normal fee should be tax deductible for all that play as a charitable contribution. Much like a donation in which you receive back enumeration where the portion above the fair market value of the services or gift is tax deductible. I am sure the foundation is a 501 c exempt organization.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.