Villages Golf Courses

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroll View Post
That portion above the normal fee should be tax deductible for all that play as a charitable contribution. Much like a donation in which you receive back enumeration where the portion above the fair market value of the services or gift is tax deductible. I am sure the foundation is a 501 c exempt organization.
Not so sure - i.e. buying girl scout cookies is not deductible (unless the cookies are donated back to the troop). This assumes that the price paid is fair market value.

I think Palmer should advertise this more.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Not so sure - i.e. buying girl scout cookies is not deductible (unless the cookies are donated back to the troop). This assumes that the price paid is fair market value.

I think Palmer should advertise this more.
If this is true it is nice.

If it isn't the Morses are gonna be SOBs.

I think the price is fair for Palmer.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedoman View Post
Yes the extra fee on Palmer goes into the Palmer Foundation which funds many community services in the Orlando Area.
How did you find this information? I have heard a few "Village rumors" on this subject and always wondered the real facts.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
How did you find this information? I have heard a few "Village rumors" on this subject and always wondered the real facts.

Thanks
I heard that the money goes to Arnold Palmer for the licensing rights...now whether it is five dollars or five percent, I didn't hear and this is ONLY a rumor.

Licensing rights happen everywhere.

Rumors, even good ones like this happen everywhere.

It really makes no difference. It is the price of an 18 hole round on a decent course.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If this is true it is nice.

If it isn't the Morses are gonna be SOBs.

I think the price is fair for Palmer.
I am sorry but I disagree about it being a fair price for Palmer. Of course it is just my opinion and also the opinion of the other 15 guys in our Friday group. We just don't see a $10 improvement in it versus Glenview or Lopez. We played Lopez today and it was in great shape

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Veteran member

I haven't played Palmer lately so can't compare, but I do agree that Lopez and Glenview have been in wonderful shape. I wish they would spend the money or do what they have to to get the other courses in such good shape. Shotzyb, I agree that Palmer probably is not worth the extra $10 they charge priority members. It can't be that much nicer.

I drove by Mallory today, and it looked pretty dried out. Havana has been nice, but last week it too was dry and hard. I'm playing there tomorrow so will post my opinion.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
Of 21 local championship type golf courses reviewed in March, the top six most expensive for a Villager to play are all in the Villages?? This is not Harold Schwartz's vision of what he wanted the Villages to be at all.
Hi Warren,
Welcome to TOTV! I would also like a link to the review you saw, if you don't mind sharing.

To me, the golf fees in TV seem reasonable. They are higher during snowbird season but dirt cheap in summer. Did the review factor in the cost of cart rentals outside TV, where Villagers could not use their own carts? Also, did compare rates year-round, or just winter rates?

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Gold member

Played Tierra today and the course was in wonderful shape. There was grass on the fairways and the greens were in great shape.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 03-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Sage
Default This is just one golfers opinion

Palmer is only $9 more than GV, NL and only $8 more than Havana, does that help ??

This is the first year I can remember where I have played Palmer more in high season. Like others I typically pass on the uptick in price. When I judge a course, I get extremely excited about green quality, i.e., speed and trueness. TV is not a place you can typically get excited about green speed in the winter, not complaining just my opinion.

This year the times I have played Palmer they were as close to "tournament greens" I have played in TV. They have a good speed and they are true. I may be evil but to watch the face of an xx handicap (handicap omitted so as not to offend) rolll a downhill/side hill putt at Palmer by the hole as far as the original putt is quite entertaining . To me it is worth the extra $9 twice a month or so to putt these greens. They are close to the way greens get at my home course in MA after the spring aeration fills in.....

I played Glenview and OB last week, Lopez yesterday; no doubt they are in great shape this year, but the greens are by my estimation 2 feet slower than Palmer. I do not carry a stimp meter, just a guess....

Looking forward to Tierra tomorrow. One of these days I am going to break my handicap there

Last edited by ajbrown; 03-19-2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: write like a goofball
Old 03-21-2011, 12:24 PM

FYI: It's snowing here in MA so I really wouldn't mind paying a premium right now, even if it was a lousy course! They were just starting to open too.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.