What do you think of this ?

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2020, 07:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Idiotic argument and an idiotic suggestion.
At least TRY to make a cogent point, other than sour grapes

However, I applaud your honesty. Most of the "no golf" crowd won't admit they're jealous , instead they hide behind an argument of some perceived risk
Consider also giving props for their inventing the term "putting range".
Old 04-11-2020, 07:19 PM

This once happened at MGC.
Mayberry Golf Club. The deputy made a "citizens arrest". :-)
Old 04-11-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retoline View Post
Wednesday late afternoon my wife and I and another couple in there cart were having ice cream across the street from Culver’s in a parking lot under the trees, all the businesses were closed the lot was empty when an unmarked SUV pulls up with 6 sheriffs in it. One sheriff got out and told us we had to be at home.
Florida is under a lock down and you are not supposed to be out unless getting essentials or golfing. Guess you were finished golfing.
Six sheriffs in one SUV? Hope they had proper PPE!
Old 04-11-2020, 08:24 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
After playing today, my wife, my brother -in-law and myself went to TDS takeout, ordered some beers to go and found a nice place to park our carts, 10 feet from each other. Three of us having a beer and practicing social distancing. Sounds good right ? An ambassador stopped by us and told us that we couldn't be having large gatherings and that we needed to go ? A large gathering, 3 people with 10 feet between us. Really ? I questioned him about it and he said he was just the messenger. Sorry he has to deliver a message where obviously nobody can use common sense and see that are following the guidelines.
If people who live on TDS are taking pictures so that they can shut down golf, that Ambassador did all of us a favor.
There are people who absolutely believe you should stay in your house and not go out until this virus is gone. There are other people who are being careful and social distancing, but they are going out to the grocery store and some are golfing, biking and walking.
People are doing what is right for them. I think most people are being mindful and staying a safe distance.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:45 PM

Especially to ChicagoNative: Doesn’t it seem bizarre that shootings, overdoses and car accidents routinely kill or seriously injure so many people, especially in Chicago, but this illness is an indisputable emergency worthy of Interventions that have curtailed our liberties and risked our economic prosperity?

Dr Fauci said they are considering issuing some type of immunity papers to those who have tested positive and since recovered or, theoretically, to those who eventually test immune. This is scary stuff since it seems as if humankind has learned nothing from our past. Would only those who are immune be allowed the freedom to worship, assemble, prosper, health and happiness? For how long? Even if an effective Vaccine were developed they are not 100% effective. And since this is a coronavirus, like the common cold is, what if COVID-19 continuously mutates— like the common cold does—so a single vaccine isn’t possible?
Old 04-11-2020, 09:30 PM

I think that you can do it somewhere else, just not by the golf course. Go to a parking lot or picnic tablev somewhere.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

1. The "Whataboutism" seems to run rampant here. If it wasn't a serious situation, it'd be laughable, in a pathetic sort of way.
2. For people who tend to be so staunchly "pro-life," I'm pretty surprised that the same mentality is "pro-right-to-assemble" in the midst of a contagious virus that is causing death of Villagers. Which is it folks? Are you pro-life, or pro-mah-freedoms? In this particular situation, you can't have both.
3. There's nothing in the "right to assemble" that guarantees you the right to a) assemble on PRIVATE property, b) assemble in close proximity during a pandemic. Yes, you can be out in the town square. Six feet away from everyone else. We aren't on lockdown. We're on "stay at home but not really." There's a BIG difference. Learn to appreciate it.
4. Edited to add: even when there isn't a pandemic, it's against the law to drink beer in your golf cart. So you needed to not do that anyway and the Ambassador probably saved you the trouble of a fine and possible court time.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburesh View Post
I think that you can do it somewhere else, just not by the golf course. Go to a parking lot or picnic tablev somewhere.
Not to a parking lot. It's still illegal to drink in public places, except for the town squares which are currently closed.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNative View Post
Somewhere between those who are still trying to live as if everything is normal, and those who would have us all hiding under the bed for the next 6 months, is that elusive and not-so-common thing called common sense.

It’s reported that 96% of all cases are classified as “mild”, and that 98+% of all cases make a full recovery. Even so, none of us know who would fall into that small category of those who have either a critical case or a death. That’s enough to take this seriously, even with the odds in humanity’s favor.

That said, fresh air and exercise are good for us, both physically and mentally. Unless social distancing is blatantly being ignored, the ambassadors chasing us off walking paths seems kind of ridiculous, which happened to me earlier this week. The Belmont course is closed for maintenance, but the path was being used by walkers and bikers, and it’s a place that affords hundreds of feet of distance between people. No one was walking on the grass that was being aerated and fertilized.

We all left, but I've since observed so many people and carts all bunched up at the various courses. What sense does that make, and where’s the consistency of the rule application?

Then to hear of cops breaking up a small group of people on carts who were staying apart? I don’t know.....that scares me almost as much as the threat of this virus. We are only a couple steps away from being asked for our papers!

Stay safe and stay SANE.
Can you provide the source of your statistics? I think they are optimistic but appear to be dangerously misleading
Old 04-12-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharris View Post
Ok, I think I have the right not to do so. The right to peaceful assembly is guaranteed under the first and fourteenth amendments, and I do not believe a group of less than 10 people staying 6 feet apart presents a clear and present danger to public safety.

What is truly scary about this mania is how quickly normal citizens not only allow their rights to be trampled, but the are willing to become nanny state enforcers, reporting on their neighbors, etc.

27 people died in Sumter county in 2017 of the seasonal flu, and I don't recall being put under martial law then.
This is not the flu! It is a worldwide pandemic of which the devastating short and long term consequences are yet to be seen
Old 04-12-2020, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Since the ambassadors no longer carry water and are now part of crowd control, they should send some to LSL.

The Villages Florida
Old 04-12-2020, 09:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpuleo View Post
Frankly, I don't see why the golf courses have to be open either--that is not essential. Many of us cannot do what we love to do so the golfers should not be golfing either. Get a little putting range at your home and practice there.
I no biblical scholar but I’m pretty confident Envy is one of the deadly sins.
Yep, there it is....
Old 04-12-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter View Post
Can you provide the source of your statistics? I think they are optimistic but appear to be dangerously misleading
I admit I’m an optimist, but I deal in facts over feelings.

Lots of info to slice, dice, and parse here:

COVID-19 Map - Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

And here:

Coronavirus Update (Live): 1,846,833 Cases and 113,883 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

Keep in mind that we’re trying to solve for x with missing variables. It’s suspected that there are way more infections that are going unreported because people self resolve without hospitalization. That would bring the mortality rate down even more.

So, yes, it’s a fact that this is deadly serious for some. My feeling is when the world debriefs on this over the coming months, I think it’s going to look like one of the biggest cases of the tail wagging the dog in human history.

Last edited by ChicagoNative; 04-12-2020 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Correction
Closed Thread

Tags
large, feet, people, gathering, needed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.