What a great idea

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2020, 07:48 AM
Default What a great idea

Dump the PVC pipe in the holes and leave these in permanently.

HowDidiDo - This is GENIUS!

🎥 Cobblestone Golf
Old 04-18-2020, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

I agree, those are great. And leave them in when the pandemic is over. It will save both the golf holes as well as many bad backs. Why didn’t somebody think of this a long time ago?
Old 04-18-2020, 08:34 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

there are issues with these over a (short) period of time.........they don't work & slide very well.

the "guys" mowing tend to not handle the flags with TLC
Old 04-18-2020, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

No way. It's a nice idea for an emergency such as this as it allows us to keep playing. I realize that there are a lot of golfers here that don't care about the rules or their scores but there are many of us that do. Hitting a out with the correct speed so that it goes into the hole is a skill. Simply banging the ball so hard that it simply hit the pipe takes away a big part of the game.
If you simply play the game for fun, exercise or to get some fresh air. Or as a woman once told me, "The most important thing about golf is where we're going to lunch afterward." Fine, but don't take away a challenge for those of us that take the game seriously.
I realize that there are not many that take the game very seriously but there are people that play for a few dollars. There are some that play to compete in the higher level competitions we have in The Villages and there are some like me that simply enjoy the various challenges that golf presents. One of those challenges is the ability to hit a putt with the correct speed and the pipes in the holes take that away.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
No way. It's a nice idea for an emergency such as this as it allows us to keep playing. I realize that there are a lot of golfers here that don't care about the rules or their scores but there are many of us that do. Hitting a out with the correct speed so that it goes into the hole is a skill. Simply banging the ball so hard that it simply hit the pipe takes away a big part of the game.
If you simply play the game for fun, exercise or to get some fresh air. Or as a woman once told me, "The most important thing about golf is where we're going to lunch afterward." Fine, but don't take away a challenge for those of us that take the game seriously.
I realize that there are not many that take the game very seriously but there are people that play for a few dollars. There are some that play to compete in the higher level competitions we have in The Villages and there are some like me that simply enjoy the various challenges that golf presents. One of those challenges is the ability to hit a putt with the correct speed and the pipes in the holes take that away.
If you look at the link you will see that the pipe is in the hole so nothing taken away. The nice thing about this is the way you retrieve the ball by just pulling up on the handle without having to reach into the hole.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:23 PM
Gold member

Do both. 1.~Go back to the game with the ball going in the hole. 2~The players that want the other have each group carry the PVC with them and place it in the hole when they reach the green. Instead of golf it will be called Goof. Then you need 2 score posting systems: Ginn and Goof Ginn. Or just have 2 holes in every green/one Golf and one Goof. Or?????????????????????
Old 04-21-2020, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Where is Shark tank when you need them.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
I think the OP was referring to those flagsticks that have a hook and platform so all you do is raise the hook with your putter and the ball comes out (see the video). It's no different than regular golf, just easy to get the ball out. However, with 648 holes of golf in TV, and maybe $50-100 each, I doubt we'll ever see these.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:29 AM

I think you should make the pvc pipe cut so that is is 1 inch below the surface of the green. This way you can easily retrieve a holes ball without touching the flag stick.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I agree one hundred and ten percent. There is no challenge to banging the ball against the pipe. This is one of the safety measures during the pandemic and takes away from the game of golf like removing the rakes and no play from bunkers. That's the last I played but will be starting to go out again to play next week.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Just another rule people want changed here
Old 05-02-2020, 10:18 AM
Sage

I think they should go old school and get rid of the rakes permanently. Play the ball where it lies. Fried egg, divot, or footprint.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:35 PM

Maybe we all should compromise. Leave the PVC pipes in on level 1 courses (maybe even level 2). Get rid of the big cups on Sarasota and the one other course that has them. Then people can choose how they want to play. With so many courses, there should be options.

I personally do not mind the PVC. Though I can play a pretty decent round of golf, I don't keep score because golf shouldn't be taken serious. Its just for fun.

If you are a serious golfer and you get a tee time at one of the PVC courses, life will go on.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
Maybe we all should compromise. Leave the PVC pipes in on level 1 courses (maybe even level 2). Get rid of the big cups on Sarasota and the one other course that has them. Then people can choose how they want to play. With so many courses, there should be options.

I personally do not mind the PVC. Though I can play a pretty decent round of golf, I don't keep score because golf shouldn't be taken serious. Its just for fun.

If you are a serious golfer and you get a tee time at one of the PVC courses, life will go on.

Ditch the PVC pipe!!!!

Harbor Hills and Black Bear both have foam rubber discs in the hole that rests about 1 inch below the surface of the green. You still hole out and there is no problem picking your ball out of the hole without touching anything. Far superior to the pipe, and probably cheaper as well, doesn't change the nature of golf.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Ben playing a couple times a week on Champs for the last 5 years. I have yet to play with anyone that doesn't change the rules...not hitting out of a divot, rolling the ball in the rough to improve lie, gimmie putts, (variable distances)....well you get the idea. How challenging is the game? Depends on the player doesn't it?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
great, idea, dump, pvc, pipe

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.