Ball marks on the greens

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Ball marks on the greens

this is a spin off of a post I put in general section.

The grrens here are looking terrible...cause....way too many folks do not repair their ball marks on the greens.

Let's all remind the groups waiting to line up for their tee time to fix their ball marks on the greens (plus one more).

I know I will be in the minority who will do just that. Because I am not afraid I will be offending anybody when espousing doing what is right....eh!

btk
Old 02-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Gold member

greens are way too soft and wet which allows everybody to make a ballmark. Harden up the greens and fewer ballmarks are the result. It wouldn't hurt to spped them up either especially Mallory. They are insanely soft and slow.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

A golfer is a responsible gentleman or lady and repairs his/hers and others ball marks if he/she has time.

A golfer rakes the traps after he/she has hit out of them and doesn't wander into anyone's yard to look for a ball. That ball is HISTORY.

Just for starters.

If you don't do these things the rest of us will know you are a rookie or far worse, a disrespectable golfer.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Platinum member

It happens this time of year, every year. Could it be the vast number of renters who pay large sums to rent, just don't think they should have to take care of the property. Juat my thoughts !
Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
It happens this time of year, every year. Could it be the vast number of renters who pay large sums to rent, just don't think they should have to take care of the property. Juat my thoughts !
I have to disagree.... it happens ALL year! There are just many more folks playing and that it makes the problem and bit larger.

I live on a golf course and have no problem with someone retrieving their ball, but I don't like them hitting from my lawn...
Old 02-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default I really think that

it should be mandatory for all NEW golfers to take a class in golf course etiquette....I spend a LOT of time cleaning up ballmarks, especially on execs.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ball Mark Repair Video

This short video demonstrates the proper method for divot repair.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-ZzT8yMnmg]Repair Ball Mark Properly! Shawn Clement #1 Most Popular Teacher on You Tube - YouTube[/ame]
Old 02-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
Do these renters have signs on them? Be nice, they are paying for your year round amenities.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
This short video demonstrates the proper method for divot repair.
Repair Ball Mark Properly! Shawn Clement #1 Most Popular Teacher on You Tube - YouTube
Excellent post.....thats the way to do it...educate.....not pointing fingers.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I have to disagree.... it happens ALL year! There are just many more folks playing and that it makes the problem and bit larger.

I live on a golf course and have no problem with someone retrieving their ball, but I don't like them hitting from my lawn...
The Golf Administration has made it clear that golfers should not walk on a homeowners property to retrieve their ball

I try and repair as many ball divots as I can without holding up the group behind me.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Do these renters have signs on them? Be nice, they are paying for your year round amenities.
I do believe you should consider the validity of such a statement. What ever percent of total amenity fees the renters could be paying would not amount to 2% (and I am being generous) of the total.

If it was meant for jest it was wasted on me. I always feel something incorrect or wrong not addressed is condoned.....and that anin't me.

That one falls in the same category as the one about the snow birds being the ones who make the difference whether TV survives or not. Another urban legend....or another jest. I must say I do find it funny!!!

It is a year around problem assignable to all of us who golf here....those that do it and those who don't fix it or both.

btk
Old 02-24-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
A golfer is a responsible gentleman or lady and repairs his/hers and others ball marks if he/she has time.

A golfer rakes the traps after he/she has hit out of them and doesn't wander into anyone's yard to look for a ball. That ball is HISTORY.

Just for starters.

If you don't do these things the rest of us will know you are a rookie or far worse, a disrespectable golfer.
TOTALLY AGREE! I have been golfing for 45+ years. I have played in many tournaments, outings, golf teams, casual... Played the best and worst course. These greens are awful in my opinion. I played yesterday on the new course and was amazed how bad the marks looked for a course two months old.
It is not hard at all to repair your mark. Yes some have a hard time bending over, but they seem to manage putting their ball on the tee. Regarding time, in most cases their is plenty of time to repair your mark while others are getting ready or after. While you are , it is also not hard if there is a mark by yours or in your line to repair that. Count the time.. Maybe 5 seconds per mark? I am just curious on the reasons people say they won't. I heard the one about they pay huge amounts of money to play so it is not their job. Do people playing the country clubs, Augusta, etc say they paid so they don't need too? Even the caddies do not and should or repair your ballmarks. It is your job.
For those that watch the pros and try to imitate their swing, patterns, etc, do the same with how they repair their ball marks.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Default Retreiving golf balls on homeowners property

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
The Golf Administration has made it clear that golfers should not walk on a homeowners property to retrieve their ball

I try and repair as many ball divots as I can without holding up the group behind me.
I see it all the time golfers looking for the golf balls and retrieving them on homeowners property. Even looking into the homeowners lanai to see what the inside looks like. When you are told please don't go onto the homeowners property and there is no reinforcement then they will continue to do so. There should be a system where the offender continues to do so then they should be given somekind of demerit and if they get so many they cannot play for a while. Some kind of enforce is needed.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Sage

motion activated sprinklers would work.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I do believe you should consider the validity of such a statement. What ever percent of total amenity fees the renters could be paying would not amount to 2% (and I am being generous) of the total.

If it was meant for jest it was wasted on me. I always feel something incorrect or wrong not addressed is condoned.....and that anin't me.

That one falls in the same category as the one about the snow birds being the ones who make the difference whether TV survives or not. Another urban legend....or another jest. I must say I do find it funny!!!

It is a year around problem assignable to all of us who golf here....those that do it and those who don't fix it or both.

btk
Not worth discussing. we are all in this beautiful place together and pointing fingers at snowbirds or renters is just as inappropriate as not repairing ball marks. The business model works......frogs, snowbrds, snowflakes all add to the success of The Villages. I don't think I said nor have I ever heard that the Villages "survives" because of the Snowbirds.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.