WHY THE 4:00 pm GOLF CART CLOSING

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2020, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mountaineer View Post
I have played after the final tee time many a time, till dark. Did they make it illegal if you are a Villagers resident to play golf after the starter shack is closed? For years I played after the "closing" because there was no one to slow me down. Even if I only got in 5 or 7 holes before it got dark. Did it change?
I've always wondered if that was actually sanctioned, or if they just didn't police it. Maybe they decided to double-down and enforce it due to the virus? I don't know. I am stating no facts, just a conjecture.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:14 PM
Sage

Possible silly question alert. I understand and support all the precautions that are being taken. But I will admit the question has occurred to me...

If you don’t touch the flag at all, why is it so different to have the pvc in the hole? On one hand, you’re picking your ball out of a cup which everybody’s ball falls into. On the other hand, your picking your ball up after it hits the pvc which everybody’s ball has hit.

Don’t be too hard on me. I’m just lying here awake having silly thoughts.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:50 AM
Sage

Ambassadors perform more functions than delivering water and sand to players. They are also there to monitor players to make sure no one is causing damage, using the course as a practice area, or is injured or needs medical assistance. With reduced staff, that function cannot be done for the same hours as before. Yes, they could open a few courses from 10-7 instead of 7-4, however I expect some would simply try to play on closed courses because "they are doing it over there". Much better to have a consistent policy during this time. Yes inconvenient to people who are still working. Yes, inconvenient to people used to playing late. But it's temporary. Don't forget what happened to the pool access by people pushing the boundaries of the restrictions. Those who congregated at the squares and bars early on probably showed the district that there couldn't be much leeway in restrictions.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Possible silly question alert. I understand and support all the precautions that are being taken. But I will admit the question has occurred to me...

If you don’t touch the flag at all, why is it so different to have the pvc in the hole? On one hand, you’re picking your ball out of a cup which everybody’s ball falls into. On the other hand, your picking your ball up after it hits the pvc which everybody’s ball has hit.

Not like you to post a silly question (most of the time)

The scenario you describe might be possible but highly improbable. First of all, a ball that has been contaminated has to hit the pipe. Then, a round ball striking a cylindrical pipe make what? about 1 square millimeter of contact for what? 1/4 of a second? Then your ball, making the same limited contact has to pick up the virus, then you have to transfer it to your respiratory system, then you have to get the infection, which comes down to inoculum size and viability. Your chances of dying in such a manner pales by comparison to the risk of driving to the course in your cart.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:37 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

Quote:

Not silly, just highly improbably. Higher probability of spit on the greens, fringe, etc., that your ball rolled thru. Definitely don't pick up the cigarette butts left behind by smokers. Caution with the doors on and flush handles in the poopy huts.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:

Actually, not so silly. Made me think. You are touching something that touched something that was touched by something that someone touched - as apposed to touching something that someone touched.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Actually, not so silly. Made me think. You are touching something that touched something that was touched by something that someone touched - as apposed to touching something that someone touched.
..........and don't forget the wind could carry something that someone touched to someone else, who could pass it on without touching anyone!

Stay well.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Not silly.

If your ball is in the cup, to retrieve it you reach in with your hand. Your hand may be sweaty, or you may have recently coughed into it. You will leave germs inside the cup. The next person (in your foursome or the next) will also reach into the cup to retrieve their ball, and they can pick up your germs as well. And you will receive the germs of everyone who played before you.

With the pvc pipe there is much less chance of germ transfer.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
They've lost a bunch of employees who felt it safer to not work during the pandemic. Since the human resources department is in the Villages offices, which are currently closed, they can't conduct interviews to replace these people. In addition, once the pandemic is over, those people will want their jobs back - and rightly so. No one should feel obligated to risk their lives in order to accommodate the entertainment needs of a bunch of self-sufficient able-bodied retired people. The Villages has allowed them to take a leave of absence. That means they get their jobs back when the pandemic is over.

That ALSO means that even if they were to hire people to cover the shifts - those people would need a couple weeks training - for a minimum-wage temp job. But they can't hire them, because they can't train them, because the pandemic has closed all of the departments responsible for hiring and training people.

Since they're short-staffed, something has to give. So they reduced the hours. The golf courses ARE open after 4. But the last tee time is 4PM (or 3:58, depending on the course).

Tee-times are available for 8 hours or more, every day. If you can't manage to find a tee-time at any nearby executive or championship course, then maybe you need to work on your phone-calling skills. The courses up in the northern section of the Villages are not heavily populated lately.
The golf courses are closed after four except for people who had a tee time before 4:00. That has never been the case. I used to go and play nine holes at 7:00 in the summer time. Now, that is not allowed.

The eight hours of tee times has been reduced by 25% from the 12 hours that has always existed. I used to be able to call as a single and get on everywhere this time of year. Now I'll call ten executive courses and get the same answer. "Nothing available. We're completely full all day"

If they're short staffed because of the pandemic, how about having the ambassadors work the starter booth? The ambassadors the least necessary members of the staffs. They do nothing but give out water and sand and they're not giving out water these days.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The golf courses are closed after four except for people who had a tee time before 4:00. That has never been the case. I used to go and play nine holes at 7:00 in the summer time. Now, that is not allowed.

The eight hours of tee times has been reduced by 25% from the 12 hours that has always existed. I used to be able to call as a single and get on everywhere this time of year. Now I'll call ten executive courses and get the same answer. "Nothing available. We're completely full all day"

If they're short staffed because of the pandemic, how about having the ambassadors work the starter booth? The ambassadors the least necessary members of the staffs. They do nothing but give out water and sand and they're not giving out water these days.
If that's all you think the ambassadors have to do, by all means please apply for an ambassador job. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
...If they're short staffed because of the pandemic, how about having the ambassadors work the starter booth? The ambassadors the least necessary members of the staffs. They do nothing but give out water and sand and they're not giving out water these days.
Oooh. Harsh words for those doing a thankless (see above) and necessary job.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:33 AM

I talked to several sources, I talked to Golf Administration folks, they told me golf on the executives after the last tee time has never been allowed. Technically no one should be on the course after the group with the last tee time finishes on the courses . No one should start on their own . This has always been the official policy, don’t shoot the messenger , this is just what the representative I reached at the Golf Administration said.

I also talked to an ambassador and the starter at one of the executive courses, they basically told me the same thing. They personalized it slightly from their view point… they said “people have been breaking the rules for so long they do not realize they are breaking the rules”.

When asked what the ruling would be after we return to post 4:00 PM golf, they did not say for sure but assumed the official policy we be in place.

Mr. Grampy II
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?" -Satchel Paige
Old 04-21-2020, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The quote about the tee time is true, but it doesn't answer the question that the poster asked. He wasn't asking about tee times. I get what he's saying but I don't have an answer for him.

Here's his concern:

Previously, people could tee off AFTER the last scheduled tee time, in the evenings, and play until dark if they wanted to.

Now, they must adhere to the schedule, and may not tee off after the last scheduled tee time.

It used to be, if the last available tee time was 6:29 - and the starter left at 6:40...

you could go to the first hole at 7:10 and tee off and play a round if you wanted to.

I don't know if that was an actual permission granted, or if they simply looked the other way and didn't try to enforce any rules about it, or if it was against the rules and people just disregarded the rules and since there wasn't anyone there after hours to enforce it, nothing was ever done to do so.

But that is what I'm getting from this person's post: that he used to be able to play AFTER everyone with a scheduled tee-time was finished, and now he isn't allowed, and he wants to know why.
I used to be able to go out to eat, see a show at the Sharon, dance at the squares and a bunch of other stuff.....now I'm not allowed, I guess the difference is I know why.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-21-2020, 03:49 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,772 Times in 512 Posts

Quote:
I used to be able to call as a single and get on everywhere this time of year. Now I'll call ten executive courses and get the same answer. "Nothing available. We're completely full all day"
I think it may be more that a lot of people who play golf a couple of times a week and play pickleball, bowling, softball, etc. now only have golf as an option, so they are playing more.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Oooh. Harsh words for those doing a thankless (see above) and necessary job.
I agree and that poster says he used to work professionally in the Golf Business...... I think anyone with that attitude is an embarrassment to the Golf Industry..... just MHO.
Maybe just upset because the O'Dell Recreation Center is closed????
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, golf, limited, activity, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.