women golfers executive courses giving each other a putt within 9"

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I guess everyone keeps score when they play?
Is that considered to be an important part of the game? That's a serious question.
I've only been golfing for a couple of years and I never keep score. I play for fresh air, exercise and fun.
Some of the people I golf with keep hitting balls until they get a hit they like.
So to me it seems pointless to keep score.
(But we do play ready golf and never keep the golfers behind us waiting)!
Hi Barefoot: I don't keep score on executive courses except mentally. I play from the black tees because in my view the second shot on executive courses is the critical shot. I never hold up people behind me. if I am having bad golf day and/or hole I pick up after the second shot.

My putting is actually the best part of the game but then I usually pick up w/o putting to the hole, if my score for that hole is above four. I never take a mulligan

Essentially because there is a big push for faster golf it is literally impossible to follow the rules of golf on an executive courses.

Championship courses are a whole other thing

Have a good day
Old 11-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
3-5 over from the black tees is quite enviable. But isn't shooting par golf the goal? You would definitely be a par golfer from the golds and may enjoy the game even more. BTW, 3-5 over is my goal from the golds.

Seriously! If that were the case no one would ever tee off the black. However, you are wrong. The goal is to play from the tee that would allow you to make the green in regulation which I don't always do. Sometimes I'm a couple of feet right or left, sometimes the green is in bad shape and I two or three put and sometimes the bad me shows up. Maybe you should play from the green tees and you would definitely be a par golfer.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
[/COLOR]

The goal is to play from the tee that would allow you to make the green in regulation which I don't always do.
That why I love golf. You play against yourself and you set your own goals. My goals vary from day to day.

When I'm paired up with a low handicapper my goal is to beat him or her. They don't know that. I try to go into a zone.

When I'm paired up with high handicappers my goal is to play where ever they play and help move them along. They don't know that either. I seem to be more social with high handicappers.

I carry around a camera with a 50x optical zoom lense. If I see water birds I put the ball in my pocket and keep up with my group. Waiting to tee off is also a good time to shoot pictures.

The golf is free and I play everyday so what's the difference?
Old 11-14-2014, 03:20 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamdogman View Post
Ladies, why is it that you never give your fellow women golfer a putt! Men concede putts within the length of the grip of the putter. Why do you have to always putt out every single putt even when it is 6 inches? On the executive courses it is all about pace of play. You do not have to putt out every putt.

I do not think you are playing for big bucks. Enjoy the game and give your fellow golfer a putt once in a while. It would certainly speed up play
Why would you address this to ladies. My girl golf groups always give a putt if it's 1 foot or less.
I substituted for my hubby a couple of times with his golf buddies. They wouldn't give a putt even if it was 2 inches. You have to putt it in the hole when golfing with them.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Eternal Member

I always laugh when I see the guys in front of us putting. They hold up there club to align their putt. Then they stoop down and eye the break and they are only a foot or two away from the whole.
One time the guys were gathering checking their scores after. When we finished, I jokingly said wow, we were watching you. You guys play some serious golf & I smiled. One of the guys laughed and said, heck yea, we all have a buck on the line. We all laughed.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:34 PM

I played with a couple years that I gave the short putts to, and after adding up the scores she had her score 7 strokes lower. After adding up the card we found out the putts that were given she thought did not count on the score. Just a funny ending to a good golf day.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:32 PM
Default Another perspective....

I only play about 4-5 rounds a year on the executive courses, so my perspective is only on the championship courses. Conceding putts or having people putt out is not the major issue with pace of play. The pace of play involves everything you do in the round. Being ready to hit when it is your turn. Walk with some pace when you leave the green. I see far too many people walk like they are going to the electric chair after they are done on the green. I also agree with many of the posts about play the correct tees. If I am a single and get paired with 3 guys playing the white tees and my normal is blue tees, I play the whites. It is kind of fun the see the course from a different perspective.

I also don't think it is women or men that are the slowest players. Slow players come in all types. I have had to tell people I have played with that they are slow in about everything they do on the course. It is a reason people hesitate to play with them at times. I have done it with 2 friends. One thanked me and tried to improve. The other was not as open to the feedback.

When I started to get me wife involved in golf I told her that nobody cares what you get for score. It is more important to play ready golf. She does great with pace of play and has a very high handicap.

FYI-Yesterday my Thursday group played Mallory. We teed off at 8:00, 8:08, and 8:16. I was in the last group. By 12:30 I was in my cart on the way home after playing 18 holes of golf and having lunch at Mallory. We finished golf at 12:00. I know a 3:45 round in The Villages is odd, but it can happen.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I always laugh when I see the guys in front of us putting. They hold up there club to align their putt. Then they stoop down and eye the break and they are only a foot or two away from the whole.
One time the guys were gathering checking their scores after. When we finished, I jokingly said wow, we were watching you. You guys play some serious golf & I smiled. One of the guys laughed and said, heck yea, we all have a buck on the line. We all laughed.
I love it when everyone gets out their Inspector Gadget measuring tool. Some own the one on a hat that talks to you, some use a smartphone app, some that you look through and another that looks like a Dick Tracy wrist watch. Now that everyone knows the yardage to the inch you would think one of them would hit the green.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Default Slow Play

I think a few things cause slow play and they are not gender specific. One is not playing the tees for your ability level, not picking up once you have hit double par, talking and taking too much time at your cart when the hole is finished, and packing up your bag on the last hole when people are on the tee waiting. If we all stop doing these four things alone play will speed up.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I love it when everyone gets out their Inspector Gadget measuring tool. Some own the one on a hat that talks to you, some use a smartphone app, some that you look through and another that looks like a Dick Tracy wrist watch. Now that everyone knows the yardage to the inch you would think one of them would hit the green.
What I like is that all of these gadgets have different yardage.

Z
Old 11-15-2014, 03:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Measurements are useless on the executive courses. On all the ones I have played, the granite marker is pretty spot on. When they move the tee markers forward, they move the pins back a similar amount and vice versa.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:57 PM

We prefer just to play the game and get the ball in the cup as do our partners. That said, if you double your par without getting the ball in the cup, I would suggest that you pick up your ball and move on. I believe that's the rule.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Veteran member

The ambassadors should do their job. Twice this week there were two holes open if front of the group ahead of us. The lazy ambassadors drove right past them without saying a word. I saw it both times and even asked one of them why she didn't speak to them and she ignored me completely. So there you go. Take as long as you like and don't worry about playing slow.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts
Default Love it caveman

Not only is the yardage different but the brand of the gadget is the SAME!...Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
What I like is that all of these gadgets have different yardage.

Z
Old 11-15-2014, 04:17 PM

I do sir beg your pardon. I am very offended by your calling an ambassador LAZY. Being an ambassador is a very tough job in that you do not have a lot of power to say a lot to the golfers about speeding up.

You may think that because there is a whole hole open in front of the group ahead of you. There are a lot of things to consider!

What time did that group start? Many times the groups ahead of them might be faster or got out earlier than their allotted tee times. It is the ambassadors job to monitor pace of play. They have a time chart to go by and even though there is a hole open in front if they are on or even close to the pace of play schedule, they are on time.

Perhaps your group is made up of better golfers. Remember not everyone here in The Villages has a 10 or under handicap. Most of the players on the Executive Trail are either beginners or have a higher handicap. REMEMBER handicap has nothing to do with who gets to play golf here in The Villages!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.