Walmart grocery pickup is amazing!

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2021, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Walmart grocery pickup is amazing!

I know many, like to poke, and squeeze your veggies etc, but I've got to tell you, after covid, Walmart grocery pickup will be my new norm.

The help are outstanding (so grateful for tips, and well deserved), substitutions are upgraded at no cost to you, convenience- pop the trunk, and away you go. Periodicly, Walmart sends out a bag of goodies (lotions, snacks etc.) at no cost.

I use to be a devoted Aldi customer, and some items at Aldi will still be hard to beat, but, in most cases, prices are very similar. For me, its a "no brainer"

Last edited by jebartle; 04-04-2021 at 09:41 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 04-04-2021, 09:52 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Agree - Walmart grocery pickup is the best thing to happen in the last year.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:45 AM
Sage

Agree also. Their on-line grocery catalog is amazingly complete, too, and so easy to use. The only thing, I can't bring myself to relinquish control of picking our own fresh fruits and vegetables. My husband is finally getting the hang of it after several years of training and the mini-WMT with the pharmacy is close by so that's where we go for perishables.

As far as tipping, I was doing that until a discussion on here said that WMT forbids employees accepting tips. Anyone know the real story?
Old 04-04-2021, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

We agree that Walmart is the go-to spot for many items and then Publix for the items that can't be had at Walmart and then there is Sams to finish up our list. We have been shopping thru a combination of pick up and Instacart since last April. The produce items from all thee places we use are just as good as if we shopped for the items ourself. We try to shop once a month.

We went into Publix twice lately to get our Covid Shots and it felt so good to see our old friends who work there and to be back in the store. We really never looked at food shopping as a chore. Using the new way is definitely better and the people at Instacart really have their act together. There might be an occasional foul-up bleep or blunder but overall we appreciate them and they feel the Love when they deliver to us.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:26 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
I know many, like to poke, and squeeze your veggies etc, but I've got to tell you, after covid, Walmart grocery pickup will be my new norm.

The help are outstanding (so grateful for tips, and well deserved), substitutions are upgraded at no cost to you, convenience- pop the trunk, and away you go. Periodicly, Walmart sends out a bag of goodies (lotions, snacks etc.) at no cost.

I use to be a devoted Aldi customer, and some items at Aldi will still be hard to beat, but, in most cases, prices are very similar. For me, its a "no brainer"
I could not agree more. The "pandemic" experience has changed so many things. When I turned to Walmart on line shopping I was VERY leery, most of all feared this would be a way to dispose of deteriorating, unsalable, fruits and vegetables. NOT SO ! Was amazed at the quality I have received consistently, and have become addicted to the process of walking to my laptop or tablet all week and adding items, scheduling pickup that suits me, and I can't say enough about the employees at the 466 store near Oxford, so pleasant, friendly, and do they ever work hard. (started tipping them well but Walmart put a stop to that months ago now). Now, I will continue to shop at Publix, W.D., and as you said, Aldi, but never again at the level it once was. I believe this experience has permanently changed many things in our society.... previously I would NEVER have considered even trying grocery pickup !

As an aside, had an interesting experience at a Publix last week; I have always loved everything about Publix. I have complimented them on line, and told the manager of the one I frequent most often, how I admire their hiring process... they NEVER seem to hire folks who lack the skills of working with the public. But, last week I forgot to bring my reusable sacks and did not tell the checker I wanted paper bags. (I hate plastic bags when I am on golf cart, they do not sit up like my shopping bags or traditional paper bags)

So, LOL, after I had finished, and the checker had begun the next order (with a long line waiting) I realized I forgot to get paper bags. I stopped pushing my cart and went back a few steps and took two paper bags from the lane NEXT to the one where I had actually checked out. Somehow the clerk who checked me out spied my "stealing" of two paper bags and stopped checking out her customer, and LEFT her lane yelling at me to STOP. I didn't realize at first she wanted me ! She then LOUDLY shouted "WHAT are you doing ?" I was cheerful, not even thinking she was serious, I said, I got a couple sacks, I forgot my bags and these plastic sacks fall off the golf cart is all...." As she GRABBED the two sacks from my hands (by now with quite a few people stopping to watch her stopping a thief stealing two paper bags) she began to lecture me: " you can NOT just take sacks, if you want paper sacks you have to TELL "us" BEFORE we bag your groceries." "oh, I said, I understand that, and I always bring my own large shopping bags that stand up nicely on the cart, but I just forgot today, I am very sorry, I really am, but I had no idea taking a couple sacks (when she "caught" me, I was in the process of opening one and trying to put several plastic bags into the one paper sack and she even made me take out the two plastic sacks I had already put in) would be a problem, again, my apologies". Lucky for me she did not call the police I guess ? Lesson learned, NEVER forget to take sturdy shopping bags, or make sure you speak up (and generally I do ! ?) about which type of bags you want at Publix. The most embarrassing part of all this was her behavior stopping checking the customer she had started, while she ran after me to retrieve the two bags ! Do I think this is part of Publix official SOP, I doubt it, but lesson learned !
Old 04-04-2021, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,442 Posts

Agree, but the Walmart liquor store more amazing 😻
Old 04-04-2021, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
I could not agree more. The "pandemic" experience has changed so many things. When I turned to Walmart on line shopping I was VERY leery, most of all feared this would be a way to dispose of deteriorating, unsalable, fruits and vegetables. NOT SO ! Was amazed at the quality I have received consistently, and have become addicted to the process of walking to my laptop or tablet all week and adding items, scheduling pickup that suits me, and I can't say enough about the employees at the 466 store near Oxford, so pleasant, friendly, and do they ever work hard. (started tipping them well but Walmart put a stop to that months ago now). Now, I will continue to shop at Publix, W.D., and as you said, Aldi, but never again at the level it once was. I believe this experience has permanently changed many things in our society.... previously I would NEVER have considered even trying grocery pickup !

As an aside, had an interesting experience at a Publix last week; I have always loved everything about Publix. I have complimented them on line, and told the manager of the one I frequent most often, how I admire their hiring process... they NEVER seem to hire folks who lack the skills of working with the public. But, last week I forgot to bring my reusable sacks and did not tell the checker I wanted paper bags. (I hate plastic bags when I am on golf cart, they do not sit up like my shopping bags or traditional paper bags)

So, LOL, after I had finished, and the checker had begun the next order (with a long line waiting) I realized I forgot to get paper bags. I stopped pushing my cart and went back a few steps and took two paper bags from the lane NEXT to the one where I had actually checked out. Somehow the clerk who checked me out spied my "stealing" of two paper bags and stopped checking out her customer, and LEFT her lane yelling at me to STOP. I didn't realize at first she wanted me ! She then LOUDLY shouted "WHAT are you doing ?" I was cheerful, not even thinking she was serious, I said, I got a couple sacks, I forgot my bags and these plastic sacks fall off the golf cart is all...." As she GRABBED the two sacks from my hands (by now with quite a few people stopping to watch her stopping a thief stealing two paper bags) she began to lecture me: " you can NOT just take sacks, if you want paper sacks you have to TELL "us" BEFORE we bag your groceries." "oh, I said, I understand that, and I always bring my own large shopping bags that stand up nicely on the cart, but I just forgot today, I am very sorry, I really am, but I had no idea taking a couple sacks (when she "caught" me, I was in the process of opening one and trying to put several plastic bags into the one paper sack and she even made me take out the two plastic sacks I had already put in) would be a problem, again, my apologies". Lucky for me she did not call the police I guess ? Lesson learned, NEVER forget to take sturdy shopping bags, or make sure you speak up (and generally I do ! ?) about which type of bags you want at Publix. The most embarrassing part of all this was her behavior stopping checking the customer she had started, while she ran after me to retrieve the two bags ! Do I think this is part of Publix official SOP, I doubt it, but lesson learned !
I would have taken that episode to the manager. That cashier was out of line.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:55 AM
Default Totally Disagree

I totally disagree. Walmart pickup is a disaster. The pickers don't care what they give you. Constantly rotten fruit in the bags. Choice Angus New York strip steak that is 25% fat. Expiration dates 2 days away. Complained several times. No change, management does not care.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post

Should have offered to pay for the bags. No way she should have reacted like that and you shouldn’t have given in so easily. My style would have been to drop a dollar bill on the floor and keep the bags.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:30 AM

Agree! They have done a fantastic job. We always tip, but have been told by a few employees they could not accept.
The last thing we want to do is get the employees who are helping us in trouble. So I usually put the cash in their basket and say something like, "Maybe you just found it there."
It is a great service and we really appreciate their efficiency.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
Should have offered to pay for the bags. No way she should have reacted like that and you shouldn’t have given in so easily. My style would have been to drop a dollar bill on the floor and keep the bags.

Native New Yorker? Bwahahahah
[Just a guess, makes me homesick]
Old 04-05-2021, 11:35 AM

My difficulty is that I want them to use the cloth bags I send, and I put them first on the "belt" before my groceries. They think they should still put meat and various items in plastic bags. I have to tell the cashier and the ****** not to put anything "in plastic, not even meat". On many, many occasions they have tried to refuse. They start long discussions about the meat leaking - - something never happened to me in over 50 years of getting groceries - its not impossible but I get to choose the risk I want to take. I have had at least one dozen very unpleasant conversations at the check-out as they try to force me to accept plastic bags. Yes, I've eventually told managers and asked if they could tell employees not to do that, but they continue to do that. What's up? I do not happen to be "left wing", but they treat me with contempt as if I am. I'm usually treated with contempt by peers/relatives who know I'm "center-right" so getting treated with contempt for not wanting plastic bags just seems like I can't win for losing.

Yes, I read the Wall Street Journal saying using cloth bags might not help the ocean since it is not demonstrably "us" dumping into the ocean. My points (a) It is possible that it helps the ocean (b) It does help prices, even if only a little, to use my own bags (c) I do not need to use these for trash bags - I get one or two every month before I can stop the ****** and that is all I need for any purpose. (d) Waste not, want not - my parents grew up in the depression - I do not want to use 20 bags for four minutes while I drive home, then throw them away. It is a waste. It bothers me to waste.

Others are welcome to use plastic and I will respect their choice (I bring my neighbor her groceries in plastic bags) - just please respect my preference that I don't want to use plastic, for the reasons above, with no lecture.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Agree also. Their on-line grocery catalog is amazingly complete, too, and so easy to use. The only thing, I can't bring myself to relinquish control of picking our own fresh fruits and vegetables. My husband is finally getting the hang of it after several years of training and the mini-WMT with the pharmacy is close by so that's where we go for perishables.

As far as tipping, I was doing that until a discussion on here said that WMT forbids employees accepting tips. Anyone know the real story?

Yes, I spoke with an employees and also a manager at Walmart and they both told me tips were forbidden. I wanted to tip during the pandemic but they said no.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaelane View Post
My difficulty is that I want them to use the cloth bags I send, and I put them first on the "belt" before my groceries. They think they should still put meat and various items in plastic bags. I have to tell the cashier and the ****** not to put anything "in plastic, not even meat". On many, many occasions they have tried to refuse. They start long discussions about the meat leaking - - something never happened to me in over 50 years of getting groceries - its not impossible but I get to choose the risk I want to take. I have had at least one dozen very unpleasant conversations at the check-out as they try to force me to accept plastic bags. Yes, I've eventually told managers and asked if they could tell employees not to do that, but they continue to do that. What's up? I do not happen to be "left wing", but they treat me with contempt as if I am. I'm usually treated with contempt by peers/relatives who know I'm "center-right" so getting treated with contempt for not wanting plastic bags just seems like I can't win for losing.

Yes, I read the Wall Street Journal saying using cloth bags might not help the ocean since it is not demonstrably "us" dumping into the ocean. My points (a) It is possible that it helps the ocean (b) It does help prices, even if only a little, to use my own bags (c) I do not need to use these for trash bags - I get one or two every month before I can stop the ****** and that is all I need for any purpose. (d) Waste not, want not - my parents grew up in the depression - I do not want to use 20 bags for four minutes while I drive home, then throw them away. It is a waste. It bothers me to waste.

Others are welcome to use plastic and I will respect their choice (I bring my neighbor her groceries in plastic bags) - just please respect my preference that I don't want to use plastic, for the reasons above, with no lecture.

No lecture - ok. ~~~~
Old 04-05-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesser160@aol.com View Post
I totally disagree. Walmart pickup is a disaster. The pickers don't care what they give you. Constantly rotten fruit in the bags. Choice Angus New York strip steak that is 25% fat. Expiration dates 2 days away. Complained several times. No change, management does not care.
Well. I've been using the service for almost a year, in fact I purchased Walmart + for $99 for the year. Unlimited delivery of groceries and free shipping from big Walmart for many items. Yes, occasionally I have an issue with an item and click, click, INSTANT refund and you keep the item. One time they were late and they comped the entire order. Also if you ask for an item and they don't have it, often times they give you a substitute which is more expensive or larger for the same price. I usually get meats and specialty items at different stores but for groceries, they can't be beat. Shopping on line is great IMHO.
Closed Thread

Tags
walmart, pickup, aldi, cost, grocery

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.